maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (
-   -   Subframe / bushings upgrade (

Mickey Knox 02-19-2008 12:35 PM

Subframe / bushings upgrade

I do need to replace my control arm bushings this year (93 325is) , and while i am at it i figure i might as well take a good look at all the other bushings and subframe reinforcements.

so far i had a eibach pro suspensions kit with front and real roll bars installed

along with

alignement kit

strut mounts front and rear

i had this done at a good autobody shop and aligned.

now i am thinking about adding this, to get rid of the weak bmw bushings and reinforce the subframe before it fails.

powerflex control arms and bushings

trailing arm toe bushings

rear subframe reinforcement kit

rear subframe bushing kit (powerflex)

questions i have:

- will the above be considered a complete subframe/suspension overhaul? did i miss anything? or is it total overkill?

- is powerflex making good product?

- is any or all of this doable in the driveway? (i have pretty much everything but a lift)

sorry for the lengthy post and the haevy linking, but i know how you guys like complete information :cool:

thx in advance

E36is 02-19-2008 01:01 PM

^^ good question and links! i need to do that to my ride this year as well.

ScotcH 02-19-2008 01:10 PM

pm sent

carjoe 02-19-2008 02:59 PM

Interesting. I've been thinking of doing this stuff to my car as well.

I've heard nothing but good things about Powerflex for other cars, I don't see why it would be any different for BMW's. I've used Energy Suspension poly bushings with good luck but haven't looked into their availability yet.

sthomas 02-19-2008 06:32 PM

I've been using the powerflex in the front lower control arm rear bushing spot and they work fine. Just pulled them out and cleaned them up a few weeks ago - look like new. I'm running the M# RTAB bushings with the GC enforcers and they seem nice and tight.

I also have UUC bushings ready to go in the rear sub-frame. Not installed so I can't say how they run yet.

You might want to check out the UUC products in addition to the Powerflex.

Mickey Knox 02-19-2008 09:28 PM

what do you guys think of those?
having no idea about bushing those sound good, are they?

Mickey Knox 02-24-2008 01:55 PM

noone has an opinion on those control arm bushings? i have no clue abotu suspension so i dont know if what they say makes sense or no

ScotcH 02-25-2008 01:56 AM

It makes sense, but it's too new. Not many people have tried the product yet (and probably none on this forum). The PF stuff is proven.

E36is 02-25-2008 08:32 AM

^^ in addition.. if your using your car 356 days, poly bushings arent that great of an investment. Ive talked with a few people who had poly bushing on their car and after one winter they were garbage (ie: cracked and deformed). Im thinking of just changing over to OEM M3 bushings as i use my car in winter months as well.

Mickey Knox 02-25-2008 10:20 AM

rgr that
so either oem m3 bushings or the PF ones for a daily driver then?

E36is 02-25-2008 11:18 AM

^^ after talking with a few people who installed poly bushings on their DD, im swaying to OEM M3 rubber bushings just for longevity specifically to cold climates.

Mickey Knox 02-25-2008 02:09 PM

ty guys
so as far as I understand it, only one of the control arm bushings can be replaced seperately, the rest has to be replaced with the control arm, correct? (i.e. balljoint)

so now i am thinking, new oem control arms, will the m3 bushing just be a straight fit or do i need the m3 control arms (can those even be used)?

sorry i am a total noob when it comes to suspension.

ScotcH 02-26-2008 12:33 PM

M3 arms fit fine, and are a nice upgrade (solid balljoints). However, they are pricey. The regular non-M arms are fine for a DD (non-track car). Make sure to get only Lemforder brand parts.

Your car is a 325, so it uses centered LCABs. You need M3 bushings for a 96+ M3, and it will fit just fine on non-M arms. However, as stated earlier, I have the PF stuff in stock if you want those (front and rear).

98Dinan3 02-26-2008 02:17 PM

I've been running powerflex LCABs and 96+ M3 control arms for over a year now with no issues. Last time I checked, which wasn't that long ago, the bushings still looked like new. This is the 2nd winter with them in... Powerflex=*th-up* from me.

With that said, I've been really happy with everything I've bought from UUC. I can't see Rob putting out something crappy. UUC also = *th-up* from me.

Mickey Knox 02-26-2008 09:36 PM

rgr that
so new m3 arms, PF bushings for the control arm (with those arms do i need the m3 pf's or regular?) and pf's for the subframe with the reinforcement kit. anything else while i am down there? engine and/or tranny mounts? my tranny is kinda notchy at high cornering speeds and at high rpm and i heard thats what could be causing it

will be awhile before i can get to it though. 1.) still snowing 2.) alternator just died :-(

it will not be a track car but it will be close to that once i get home to the rolling hills of bavaria next year, so i want it to be beefy.

ScotcH, could you pm me a price for the pieces of the setup that you have available please?

thx guys