maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Z series (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Just bought a new Z4 and I think somethings wrong! :( (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101111)

Sim_Sima 02-08-2008 06:29 PM

Just bought a new Z4 and I think somethings wrong! :(

Hey guys,

I am the proud owner of a 2003 BMW Z4, it has about 50,000 miles and I is in amazing condition!! I was driving it and there seemed to be this strange popping sound coming from the shocks, or mounts. I know this car is equipped with a very sensitive suspension, but the past owner told me it happens when the springs are cold. Has anyone had this happen before? Sounds like some play and I'm not sure if his analogy is what it seems to be the problem. Can someone send a reply or refer me to a post that can help me out.

Soldo 02-08-2008 06:32 PM

I really doubt thats "NORMAL" when the springs are cold. By the sound of things i'd say it might be the upper shock mounts or maybe even something simple like the balljoint. Does it only happen when its cold or all the time?

Sim_Sima 02-08-2008 06:34 PM

Well I just purchased the car, and the previous owner religiously maintained the vehicle. It seems to happen all the time, at fairly slow speeds.

europrince 02-08-2008 07:45 PM

out of curiosity, did you get the car professionally inspected before buying it?

Soldo 02-08-2008 07:52 PM

If it happens all the time i highly doubt it's a "NORMAL" spring sound. Springs should not make a poping sound. I would imagine the seller just wanted to get rid of the car, and didn't want to detere you from the purchase by telling you something was wrong!

Sim_Sima 02-08-2008 10:14 PM

I agree, and if thats the case i don't mind putting some money into this repair. Can anyone suggest or refer me to a good suspension company, i always used BavarianAutoSport.com with all my older models.

Lester 02-09-2008 09:07 AM

RMP in Bolton for everything mechanical not covered under warranty*th-up*

http://www.rmpmotors.com/1024x768/index.htm

jameswbl 02-09-2008 09:43 AM

is it front of rear?
BMW rear shock mounts are prone to fail...if it squeeks its most likely bushings
popping sound can be anything from bearings to CV joints to drive shafts

try jacking up or pushing down all corners of the car to see if you are reproduce the sound...at least you can narrow down to a specific wheel

springs can "pop" but only if you overload them suddenly or if you have aftermarket springs that have progressive spring rate or if you have lowered/cut springs...they pop when the coils slap together very quickly

JazzM 02-14-2008 04:44 PM

How many cars did you test-drive before getting this one?

And as previously mentioned, did you get a professional inspection done of the car before buying it?

Have it looked at as soon as possible.

T.

Sim_Sima 02-14-2008 05:25 PM

I test drove, 2 other Z4's and a 330, all between 2003 - 2006. I was happy with this one, and i'm a techncian at costco. It doesn't say much but I have rebuild 2 e30 engines, and replaced every suspension part possible, installed everything from tires - brake lines and so on. I felt confident that this car was good to go. CarFax showed one owner, and this guy babied it. Never drove in winter, all car products used were purchased from BMW, he used imported german oils, and had proof included copy of service papers. He didnt want to sell it but he needed the money to get married and put a down payment on house. The car is solid. all the basics are good, I had Meineke certify it. The mechanics said it was a steal, bmw technicians said the convert top held its condition and color better than any 2003 they had ever seen. Another odd note, I took it for a drive on a warmer day this week and the sound was no longer there. I will have either BMW or another impor mechanic look at this prob. I just wanted to know if anyone had ever experienced a similiar sound with a 03 Z4. As well as a good aftermarket supplier, i'd prefer checking out the prices of a larger variety of suspension parts before just putting BMW parts on. I have had a good experience with BavAuto, but was looking for advice from Z owners.

inTgr8r 02-16-2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lester (Post 1109224)
RMP in Bolton for everything mechanical not covered under warranty*th-up*

http://www.rmpmotors.com/1024x768/index.htm

^WHS ..Rocco FTW

SEXSPHERE 02-25-2008 05:35 PM

Not normal at all.. Should have bought my Z4 that has peace of mind warranty..

Sim_Sima 02-23-2009 12:34 AM

I forgot to post this, but I had the car inspected at 2 dealerships and was told that my lower steering column assembly needed replacement. I replaced it and still had the sound, so I brought it to everyplace...The only service center that figured it out was a Meineke auto center. The technician found that the sway bar links under the dash board where loose and charged me 1/2 the price that BMW charges for an inspection to repair and find it. Sorry to be late on conclusion but thanks for all the help guys!!!

damameke 02-23-2009 06:49 PM

Lower steering column assembly... did u replaced it yourself or the dealer?

If its from the dealer. did you go back and complain?

Thanks for the feedback tho, useful info..

Sim_Sima 02-27-2009 12:33 AM

No, unfortunately I replaced it myself and had to bear the cost. It was an easy swap out, in fact the dealer insisted that it would be a 4 hour job and would include reprogramming. I opened the hood and it came out with 2 bolts, is telescopic so just shorten and remove. new one went right in, I didnt even need to remove other parts or hoist car up... I was very puzzled and angry at the same time.
1. It was a 10 min job, not 4 hours
2. did not fix problem, as dealer said it would
3. Part from dealer was roughly $500... via BavAutoSport $240, computer to reprogram car $90

I just cant trust the dealer ever.