maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   VW drivers need input (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60798)

Furious 11-04-2005 01:45 PM

VW drivers need input

im looking at this 94' golf CL for a winter car everything is pretty good on the car except a few things...

1. the cluster light is out, .. also the temp gauge dosent work , are these a big concern or easy to fix?
2. related to 1, there is no tach on the damn car, can i swap to get a tach?
3.the transmission is very stiff, kinda feels like the car has been sitting overnight on a cold ass night, where its really stiff, didnt seem to work out either , what can that be?

thanks for all help

¤Mä®îؤ™ 11-04-2005 02:28 PM

Dont get a cl, ur gonna have so many problems. Everyone who has a cl knows that they are nothing but problems. It wont even get you through the winter. If you want a beater, get like an old honda or something.

Bimmer Heaven 11-04-2005 02:35 PM

The cluster light is a VERY common problem on VW's...You will see that on 1/3 of the cars...if not more! If you get a new cluster with tach, it should be just plug and play. (i have done it on Mk1 and Mk2, so this should be the same).

Whatver you do dont get the 1.8L single injector piece of sh#t...its slow as hell...Much slower then the normal 1.8 or 2.0.

Furious 11-04-2005 02:42 PM

k thanks looking at a civic DX now

PelicanGolf2 11-04-2005 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furious
im looking at this 94' golf CL for a winter car everything is pretty good on the car except a few things...

1. the cluster light is out, .. also the temp gauge dosent work , are these a big concern or easy to fix?
2. related to 1, there is no tach on the damn car, can i swap to get a tach?
3.the transmission is very stiff, kinda feels like the car has been sitting overnight on a cold ass night, where its really stiff, didnt seem to work out either , what can that be?

These cars are great for beaters, cluster light is easily changed, don't worry about a tach, not many CL's came with them, just drive it. If you mean that the tranny is hard to shift, it may be that the bushings in the linkage are worn or full of crap, assuming it is a 5 speed, 1.8L CL have a linkage system, as opposed to the cable shift that came in the 2.0L. Or maybe the gear lube needs changing, if it has any in it at all.
Good luck

razor/m5 11-04-2005 02:53 PM

My mom has a cl and its the biggest piece of shit I have driven!! all kinds of problems
STAY AWAY!!!!!!

Miguel 11-04-2005 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furious
k thanks looking at a civic DX now

I had an 87 cabby.... broke down every day.
I had a 92 Golf.... indestructible. I drove the piss out of it and sold it a year later when I blew the clutch.
I had a 94 Civic Si Coupe. indestructible. Sold it cause it was zero fun to drive and understeered like crazy.

Girlfriends got a 99 Golf GL.... runs smooth as silk but had a coil go. Besides that, no problems.

TheLoneVR! 11-04-2005 06:23 PM

ya stay away from the cl's theyare notorious for problems

Furious 11-04-2005 09:50 PM

thanks guys , i gotta good scope on a Civic im gonna check out tommorow.