maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classics (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   '71 BMW 2002 Rust Bucket Questions (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169145)

tominizer 11-13-2015 09:28 AM

'71 BMW 2002 Rust Bucket Questions

1 Attachment(s)
It's been a LONG time since I've been back on MAX. Wow! Anyways, I was looking at this '71 BMW 2002 roundie and thinking about getting back into it all again. The car I'm looking at looks like a bucket of crap as it's been stored outdoor under a tarp for the last 10 years (run away my little voice says!!).

BUT, for the money I'd offer the guy I may be silly enough to haul it out of the woods. Needs lots of new sheet metal panels, which I have a rough idea on what it's going to cost me but been out of the game too long to know what an M10 would cost that looks like the attached photo. It apparently ran decent a few years back but I'm thinking with those weber side drafts, who knows. And anyone that dumps it under a tarp in the woods, well that just about says it all for how she was taken care of. So assuming the worst. I know right now it DEFINITELY doesn't turn over.

So my $100 question is, for a full rebuilt M10, assuming the major components are salvageable, what's the going rate right about now to put it back to a good place (using those weber side drafts as well). Just trying to budget a ballpark number so I can figure out if this is a road worth travelling.

I'm seeing a restored or decent condition roundie go for $15K USD on average. IS that about right or are these roundies starting to get silly numbers like some of the other classics??

Thanks

Bimmer Heaven 11-13-2015 11:22 AM

You need to budget a good $10k to bring this car to life, and usable condition. That engine is pretty much built proof so won't take much, but body and interior will get expensive.

tominizer 11-13-2015 12:30 PM

I'm figuring it needs new floors, new right rear inner wheel well (that holds the suspension), and likely has rot everywhere. Lower doors are gone too. So we're talking about a lot of new metal. Only thing that really makes this sketchy is the structural integrity is unknown on the underside and a real risk. Like I said above, ten years sitting on the wet ground. Never a good thing for a car. Could be for parts only sort of purchase. Right now the owner is asking way too much considering the risk..... but if he gets no bites, who knows. And I need a new project to practice my welding skills (under the watchful eye of a friend of mine).

Bimmer Heaven 11-13-2015 09:55 PM

I think its too far gone IMO, parts car maybe. If you have to spend 15-20K, might as well get something MINT, and not deal with the headaches...

pierre* 11-14-2015 01:32 PM

What exactly happpen to the radiator ?
Never see a blue one before.

craz azn 11-17-2015 08:00 PM

Ha, a friend just showed me the ad for this car on kijiji. One too many zeros on the asking price! Best suited as a parts car as said above... if you are lucky. *par-t*