maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Just got an LSD, have a question (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102447)

mech9T8 03-13-2008 12:21 PM

Just got an LSD, have a question

I need to swap the input flange because the LSD is 6 holes and current one is 4. I've seen the DIY for the switch but wondering if anyone has done it and has some tips.
I've also read that input flanges should never be removed?

Boots R 03-13-2008 12:29 PM

Are you using a 6-hole m3 driveshaft as well?

FYI: 4-hole regular driveshafts will mount up to 6-hole m3 input shafts, as far as I can remember.

mech9T8 03-13-2008 01:00 PM

Using my stock drive shaft (4 hole).
I don't think 4 hole will bolt up to 6 hole (geometry doesn't work).

ScotcH 03-13-2008 01:19 PM

This is not really something for a diy without proper tools ... you need to set the torque just right or something ... preload on the gears, whatever. I'd have a shop do it, or just pick up a 6 bolt driveshaft (Fil probably has one for cheaper than a shop will charge you).

bmdbley'sBro 03-13-2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScotcH (Post 1123390)
This is not really something for a diy without proper tools ... you need to set the torque just right or something ... preload on the gears, whatever. I'd have a shop do it, or just pick up a 6 bolt driveshaft (Fil probably has one for cheaper than a shop will charge you).

is Fil a local (driveshaft-diff) guy? cause i have the whole rear subframe from a 325i 4door w/lsd kick'n around..
I want to get that lsd in my 318is

I'm told i'll more then likely i'll need the back half of the 325i'd drive shaft with the front part of my 318is's shaft..
something about different lengths

propr'one 03-13-2008 04:18 PM

Its not difficult to do, i watched rocco do mine, however, like scotch said, it will take you an hour to do properly if you've never done it before, a mechanic can do it in 5-10 mins.

I would definatly not swap the driveshaft, its overkill, having a shop swap the input shaft is real easy, and they can use the one off your stock diff.

999666 03-13-2008 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro (Post 1123486)
is Fil a local (driveshaft-diff) guy? cause i have the whole rear subframe from a 325i 4door w/lsd kick'n around..
I want to get that lsd in my 318is

I'm told i'll more then likely i'll need the back half of the 325i'd drive shaft with the front part of my 318is's shaft..
something about different lengths

Different subject, but you are right for your application.

Input shaft for the 4 bolt 325 and 6 bolt 328/M3 is the same leghnth just different bolt pattern, unlike it is for you putting a 318 D-shaft on a type 188 diff your looking to make up the difference in diff sizes.

Do not listen to the counter productive/negative ones who say " YOU CAN'T DO THAT" it really is simple as you have described in your first post, impact it off, swap them, saturate it in alot of gear oil, seat it in the new M3 diff, snug it then turn the shaft inside the diff to be sure it's seated well, then inpact it back on & install it on the car.

98Dinan3 03-14-2008 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScotcH (Post 1123390)

That's right.... there is a crush washer on the input flange that applies the correct pressure on the diff internals. Too tight and it'll bind, too loose and you'll have too much lash in the gears. It's not worth risking an LSD on the DIY. Just take it somewhere reputable... shouldn't cost much if you've got both diffs out of the car.

mech9T8 03-14-2008 12:01 PM

I've seen torque specs for the nut on the input flange.
And people also say to mark nut/bolt with paint mark so you know you won't overtighten. Won't this work?