maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Heads up to protein powder users (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125072)

BigD 09-16-2009 11:15 AM

Heads up to protein powder users
 
Costco has a sale on Kaizen, $8 off. That makes it like 32 bucks for 4.5 pounds of pure isolate, it's an amazing price. It could also indicate that Costco is looking to stop carrying it, so stock up.

Furious 09-16-2009 01:34 PM

nice, i have a bucket of it already, stuffs ok.

mirek 09-16-2009 03:32 PM

sorry, stupid quesiton, if i stop using protein powder, will i lose the muscle i gained?

BigD 09-16-2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirek (Post 1346028)
sorry, stupid quesiton, if i stop using protein powder, will i lose the muscle i gained?

Not really. You just need to have enough protein in your diet to sustain your levels, which isn't nearly as much as what's needed to grow. Stopping resistance training will make you lose the muscle though.

mirek 09-16-2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD (Post 1346038)
Not really. You just need to have enough protein in your diet to sustain your levels, which isn't nearly as much as what's needed to grow. Stopping resistance training will make you lose the muscle though.

Cool, thanks for the heads up, going to pick up some tonight.

Someone needs to start up the body building thread again,

mirek 09-16-2009 07:41 PM

Is there anything in protein powder that would keep my up at night? I'm a really light sleeper, and even an oreo before bed could keep me tossing and turning. Can I take a shake before bed?

BigD 09-16-2009 07:51 PM

That thread is a cluster****. We need a fitness sub-forum, not a thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirek (Post 1346091)
Is there anything in protein powder that would keep my up at night? I'm a really light sleeper, and even an oreo before bed could keep me tossing and turning. Can I take a shake before bed?

Yeah it's the best thing to "eat" before sleep. Also, if you wake up in the middle of the night, it's a good idea to go drink another.

mirek 09-16-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD (Post 1346094)
Yeah it's the best thing to "eat" before sleep. Also, if you wake up in the middle of the night, it's a good idea to go drink another.

sarcastic?

BigD 09-16-2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirek (Post 1346121)
sarcastic?

No sir. If you're referring to the night part, you're alive at night. If you wake up, use the chance to fuel your body.

mirek 09-16-2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD (Post 1346123)
No sir. If you're referring to the night part, you're alive at night. If you wake up, use the chance to fuel your body.


Interesting, thanks.
What's casein?

So i should take protein shake, pre and post workout, and in the middle of the night? is that the best time? I work out usually 430-6pm, 4x week,

BigD 09-16-2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirek (Post 1346124)
Interesting, thanks.
What's casein?

So i should take protein shake, pre and post workout, and in the middle of the night? is that the best time? I work out usually 430-6pm, 4x week,

Casein is just a diff type of protein. It's best known for slow release, but this is a bad thing. Whey Isolate is the fastest absorbing of them all, stick to that (well there's Hydrolysate but don't go there, it tastes like horror).

Try to take your protein at least 2 hours after the last meal and try to have no fat for another 30min, simple carbs are ok.

Don't worry about pre/post workout protein. A buddy of mine is a PhD in this and keeps me up to date with the latest research. He says that there is no evidence to support the merits of pre/post workout nutrition when it comes to protein. If anything, he said there is minor indication that it's better to wait an hour.

Try to get carbs into your system around workout time. There's no rule for this, some people do best eating them a few hours before the workout, others best after. Try different things and see what makes you feel best.

mirek 09-16-2009 10:44 PM

Thanks!

I'm really surprised how good the vanilla one tastes, it's better than any whey i've had .

BigD 09-16-2009 11:14 PM

No problem.

At this point my taste buds automatically shut down during supplement intake, it all tastes like cardboard to me, even the awful stuff. But it's pure isolate, and for that the price is ridiculous (for reference, one of the cheapest online sources from the US, True Protein, has isolate for like 10-11US per pound, plus UPS shipping). I also like how it mixes. You don't have to first stir it up into a paste like the cheaper crap to avoid clumping - it mixes trivially in the full water volume.

mirek 09-16-2009 11:26 PM

this one has absolutely no cardboard taste, tastes super sweet, maybe i put too little milk :|

going to give it a try, let's see if i can fit into my greenman costume by halloween..!

http://www.thegreenmancostume.com/greenman.gif

328trackrat 09-16-2009 11:38 PM

Big D / Others.. Buy magic bullet mini blender. Mixes protein easily and quickly. no clumps. Works especially well with milk.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2018