maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rides (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   E30 update non-bmw engine swap inside (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140297)

325isStephen 02-07-2011 12:05 AM

E30 update non-bmw engine swap inside
 
Well, I haven't posted my car in ages, some of you may remember me talking about an engine swap I wanted to do this winter. Well I've made some head way, here's a link to the build thread on Stanceworks.

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9029

And for those too lazy to go through my thread, the first start video from yesterday, lots of work left, but it feels like its downhill from here.


SamE30e 02-07-2011 12:13 AM

I heard stories of this.

I like it.

craz azn 02-07-2011 01:06 AM

Hell yeah, I got to witness the epicness in person :)

richie_s999 02-07-2011 03:31 AM

forgot the NSFP tag!!! Looks good so far, can't wait to see it rippen this summer!

Bullet Ride 02-07-2011 08:58 AM

noice!!
dammit I can't wait to get my turbo car sorted out in the spring...

DANIMAL 02-07-2011 09:50 AM

Sweet, I'm lovin the non-BMW engine swaps. Lookin good!

bmwm5lover 02-07-2011 05:34 PM

Kudos for doing something unique and doing the work yourself,
but please, enlighten me,
if you want a Jap motor (nissan?), then why not just get a rwd/awd nissan?
All the cheap HP you want... and a skyline is BADASS.

I'll never understand this trend.

El Gato Liso 02-07-2011 06:07 PM

^^^ no comment.

Bullet Ride 02-07-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwm5lover (Post 1479745)
Kudos for doing something unique and doing the work yourself,
but please, enlighten me,
if you want a Jap motor (nissan?), then why not just get a rwd/awd nissan?
All the cheap HP you want... and a skyline is BADASS.

I'll never understand this trend.

He toasted the motor in his car and picked up an SR20DET on the cheap. Those motors make more power stock than any M50/52 swap, and lots more power for very little $$. There's a larger after market parts community as well. What more do you need to know?

bmwm5lover 02-07-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullet Ride (Post 1479751)
He toasted the motor in his car and picked up an SR20DET on the cheap. Those motors make more power stock than any M50/52 swap, and lots more power for very little $$. There's a larger after market parts community as well. What more do you need to know?

Re-read my original post,
now,
you understand that I am aware of the cost to power ratio vs a BMW engine.

With me? Good.

I am not arguing with him, I am merely trying to understand this "trend? Phenomenon? W/e you call It".

I bought a BMW because, well I like BMW's, I like the engine, the performance, the appearence, the feel, the interior, the driving response, I like the overall experience/car that is BMW. I was also aware of the costs associated with a BMW, the limitations, the fact that modding them is more expensive, etc.

So, my question is, if dirt cheap power and reliability is what you are chasing, then why look at a BMW?
RWD domestics and Jap cars are a dime a dozen.

Bastardizing a good condition e30 (far and few of those), is just nonsense to me. "It's cheap so who cares" is a terrible mentality to have IMO.

Maybe I am too old... I dunno.

El Gato Liso 02-07-2011 07:05 PM

^^^whats there to understand? he has the platform (e30) and wants power thats cheap (sr20). i bet you didn't know that 2+2= more.

325isStephen 02-07-2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwm5lover (Post 1479758)
Re-read my original post,
now,
you understand that I am aware of the cost to power ratio vs a BMW engine.

With me? Good.

I am not arguing with him, I am merely trying to understand this "trend? Phenomenon? W/e you call It".

I bought a BMW because, well I like BMW's, I like the engine, the performance, the appearence, the feel, the interior, the driving response, I like the overall experience/car that is BMW. I was also aware of the costs associated with a BMW, the limitations, the fact that modding them is more expensive, etc.

So, my question is, if dirt cheap power and reliability is what you are chasing, then why look at a BMW?
RWD domestics and Jap cars are a dime a dozen.

Bastardizing a good condition e30 (far and few of those), is just nonsense to me. "It's cheap so who cares" is a terrible mentality to have IMO.

Maybe I am too old... I dunno.

I have a few reasons for the swap.

First of all, my car started as a pretty ugly faded automatic 325is, i swapped to 5 speed, and in december toasted the motor. So reason for putting a motor in altogether is right there.

Agreed swapping motors, wether bmw or non-bmw motor into a nice shell is stupid, modding a clean car is more or less a waste. However my car is not by any means a shell worth saving, it's just a decent shell that will last a while.

I bought this car, I think my 6th or 7th e30? Simply because I love the chassis, I'm very familiar with them, I like the driving feel, the styling, and just about everything about them, and the m20 is a great motor.

The reason for the swap is in its most obviousness power gains, but beyond that more oil pan clearance then any bmw swap I'm familiar with. The aftermarket tuning available for the motor is insane, I ordered a tubular stainless equal length runner exhaust manifold for 225.00 dollars canadian shipped to my door. Ever heard of anything like that for a bmw being that cheap? Especially something well known with decent warranty.

I can't say I have ever owned anything not european either, I've never owned a 240 or an fc or anything of that nature, I love bmw, and more then likely always will (atleast anything e36 and older)

So I put in a jap motor, thats cheap to mod, gets me oil pan clearance, and high hp reliablility. I still get my nice handling e30 with the motor farther back, less weight from the motor, still have my interior, looks, styling and all that good stuff.

Another big reason for the swap, is mearly the challenge. I'm really enjoying pushing myself to understand and figure out things you would almost never come across fixing regular cars. I'm currently building an amplifier circuit to boost the 5v nissan tach signal to the 12v signal the e30 tach wants to see to work. I find that fun in a way, and challenging too. The swap is definitely something I'm doing to say I did it, my own father told me I was a dumbass to try this and that I'd never get it running. Well I'm proud to say it fired up first try on saturday with the harness I made that's using stock e30 main relay and fuel pump relay to turn on the coils, injectors, fuel pump etc. You don't really get that challenge just putting the same or a similar motor back in.

Personally I don't think these are bad reasons, but hey, sure to piss someone off putting a nissan motor in god's chariot

e30_kid89 02-07-2011 07:09 PM

W00t w00t e30's + boost is win. Good to see e30 guys doing something else other than chips and cold air intakes and m/s5x swaps! *th-up* *rockout*

i must has ride in this when it done :D

bmwm5lover 02-07-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 325isStephen (Post 1479764)
I have a few reasons for the swap.

First of all, my car started as a pretty ugly faded automatic 325is, i swapped to 5 speed, and in december toasted the motor. So reason for putting a motor in altogether is right there.

Agreed swapping motors, wether bmw or non-bmw motor into a nice shell is stupid, modding a clean car is more or less a waste. However my car is not by any means a shell worth saving, it's just a decent shell that will last a while.

I bought this car, I think my 6th or 7th e30? Simply because I love the chassis, I'm very familiar with them, I like the driving feel, the styling, and just about everything about them, and the m20 is a great motor.

The reason for the swap is in its most obviousness power gains, but beyond that more oil pan clearance then any bmw swap I'm familiar with. The aftermarket tuning available for the motor is insane, I ordered a tubular stainless equal length runner exhaust manifold for 225.00 dollars canadian shipped to my door. Ever heard of anything like that for a bmw being that cheap? Especially something well known with decent warranty.

I can't say I have ever owned anything not european either, I've never owned a 240 or an fc or anything of that nature, I love bmw, and more then likely always will (atleast anything e36 and older)

So I put in a jap motor, thats cheap to mod, gets me oil pan clearance, and high hp reliablility. I still get my nice handling e30 with the motor farther back, less weight from the motor, still have my interior, looks, styling and all that good stuff.

Another big reason for the swap, is mearly the challenge. I'm really enjoying pushing myself to understand and figure out things you would almost never come across fixing regular cars. I'm currently building an amplifier circuit to boost the 5v nissan tach signal to the 12v signal the e30 tach wants to see to work. I find that fun in a way, and challenging too. The swap is definitely something I'm doing to say I did it, my own father told me I was a dumbass to try this and that I'd never get it running. Well I'm proud to say it fired up first try on saturday with the harness I made that's using stock e30 main relay and fuel pump relay to turn on the coils, injectors, fuel pump etc. You don't really get that challenge just putting the same or a similar motor back in.Personally I don't think these are bad reasons, but hey, sure to piss someone off putting a nissan motor in god's chariot

First, let me say thanks for the great reply that answered the question I was posing. I am also very glad that you realized I wasn't attacking you, but merely trying to understand ones reasons for the swap.

We really don't need more morons on Max like "el gato liso" who never contribute anything useful but are always looking to get involved in an online bashing war. I guess that's what happens when you let morons near a keyboard.

I completely understand what you are saying about the challenge and perhaps that is the biggest reason of all to do something like this swap.

You've always pushed the envelope to some extent with your e30's, somethings I loved ( the porche wheels), others I thought were ludacris (like this lol), but at the end of the day *th-up* for doing something that makes you happy and is definitely different.

Now, don't go and add any JDM wings or Alteza's cuz I am really gonna have to come and kick your ass. :D

Good luck with the rest of it, seems that we now have two very unique swaps on Max (yours and Dan's). Max community certainly seems to be evolving, now if we can get rid of the few aforemention morons, we would be that much better off.:cool:

I am just a purist to some degree and am not so "out of the box" when it comes to modding.

El Gato Liso 02-07-2011 07:25 PM

^^^ that's "El Gato Liso" to you, Terry. actually, i've posted up my complete m50 swap using E30 stock parts for people to reference...;)


I'm a moron!!!!!! OOMMGGGGGGGGGGGG

and the best feeling....turning over your swapped car for the first time. I had the exact same reaction!!!

E30M42cab 02-07-2011 10:16 PM

Terry, you're going to get the same response from every guy doing a non-BMW swap, and by now, surely you've seen all those answers before. A lot of guys like wrenching, and when they've wrenched enough on these cars like Rudy, Rob, Stephen, Sam, etc,etc, or myself, they're going to get restless doing the same old crap all the time. The only difference is that they're doing something about it and I'm not. It's an itch that's being scratched, let's put it that way. Besides, the world is a better place with one less M20:P

Rob, you're a moron. Terry said so. Deal with it.*th-up*

craz azn 02-07-2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E30M42cab (Post 1479793)
Besides, the world is a better place with one less M20:P

Oh no you di'int!

I like doing my valve adjustments, and timing belts.
*shiner*

325isStephen 02-07-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwm5lover (Post 1479768)
First, let me say thanks for the great reply that answered the question I was posing. I am also very glad that you realized I wasn't attacking you, but merely trying to understand ones reasons for the swap.

We really don't need more morons on Max like "el gato liso" who never contribute anything useful but are always looking to get involved in an online bashing war. I guess that's what happens when you let morons near a keyboard.

I completely understand what you are saying about the challenge and perhaps that is the biggest reason of all to do something like this swap.

You've always pushed the envelope to some extent with your e30's, somethings I loved ( the porche wheels), others I thought were ludacris (like this lol), but at the end of the day *th-up* for doing something that makes you happy and is definitely different.

Now, don't go and add any JDM wings or Alteza's cuz I am really gonna have to come and kick your ass. :D

Good luck with the rest of it, seems that we now have two very unique swaps on Max (yours and Dan's). Max community certainly seems to be evolving, now if we can get rid of the few aforemention morons, we would be that much better off.:cool:

I am just a purist to some degree and am not so "out of the box" when it comes to modding.

I don't think what you said about el gato was appropriate, he's a good guy, and a buddy of mine, I don't think what he says is any less important then what you do. IMO you seem a bit high on you're horse, especially saying things like that.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys.

andddd boost > m20 :D

craz azn 02-07-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 325isStephen (Post 1479799)
Thanks for all the positive comments guys.

andddd boost > m20 :D

Boosty SR VS boosty M10 this summer? :D

325isStephen 02-07-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craz azn (Post 1479803)
Boosty SR VS boosty M10 this summer? :D

DO WANT

You better hurry and finish your car dooooodeee

craz azn 02-07-2011 11:26 PM

lol. You hurry up and finish yours so you can come up here and help me finish zee '02 :D

325isStephen 02-07-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craz azn (Post 1479807)
lol. You hurry up and finish yours so you can come up here and help me finish zee '02 :D

Well, I pulled the manifold/turbo today, installed the driveshaft today, set the motor into place and put the hood on to check clearance. Got some fuel hose cut to length, and got some other stuff done. Gunna grab some metal to make the mounts tomorrow, hopefully I can get them welded up tomorrow night or wednesday. Other then that I'm kind of waiting on parts, so I'll busy myself with shaving the bay and tucking the wiring. Need to find some m3 harness covers, and gauges!

p.s figured out how to get oil pressure switch, coolant temp, and tach to work on the e30 cluster :D

BMW BMXer 02-08-2011 12:00 AM

You're the man, man.

The last guy (Ryan) who did this swap got banned i think lol.

bmwm5lover 02-08-2011 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 325isStephen (Post 1479799)
I don't think what you said about el gato was appropriate, he's a good guy, and a buddy of mine, I don't think what he says is any less important then what you do. IMO you seem a bit high on you're horse, especially saying things like that.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys.

andddd boost > m20 :D

That's fine is not about importance of opinion. He has been on my case unnecessarily in pretty much every post I make. He always tries to start shit. As far as I am concerned he is a douche.
I am an extremely down to earth guy and have many great friends on Max, but I am not going to fall victim to some degenerates comments. He clearly has an unwarranted chip on his shoulder against me and want tries to attack my every post. SO, as his friend you may want to speak with him, because speaking with many Max members at the meets, I am NOT the only one who feels this way. :)

Once again, good luck with your project.

richie_s999 02-08-2011 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwm5lover (Post 1479834)
That's fine is not about importance of opinion. He has been on my case unnecessarily in pretty much every post I make. He always tries to start shit. As far as I am concerned he is a douche.
I am an extremely down to earth guy and have many great friends on Max, but I am not going to fall victim to some degenerates comments. He clearly has an unwarranted chip on his shoulder against me and want tries to attack my every post. SO, as his friend you may want to speak with him, because speaking with many Max members at the meets, I am NOT the only one who feels this way. :)

Once again, good luck with your project.

Shit man..... Take it up with the Mods..... Another great thread ruined.....

Steve start a new one, or hopefully a mod sees it and cleans it up, we need more threads to show how skilled and talented members in our community are

El Gato Liso 02-08-2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwm5lover (Post 1479834)
That's fine is not about importance of opinion. He has been on my case unnecessarily in pretty much every post I make. He always tries to start shit. As far as I am concerned he is a douche.
I am an extremely down to earth guy and have many great friends on Max, but I am not going to fall victim to some degenerates comments. He clearly has an unwarranted chip on his shoulder against me and want tries to attack my every post. SO, as his friend you may want to speak with him, because speaking with many Max members at the meets, I am NOT the only one who feels this way. :)

Once again, good luck with your project.

1. You said every E30 here other than Craz Azn is a piece of shit. I took offence to that. (guess that chip is now warrented).

2. I'm flattered you talk about me ;). I too have heard about your character, off forum. I think the you're apt to fit the description and traits of a douche.

3. To call me a degenerate. PLEASE spare me. you clearly cannot handle what you dish...soooooo ughh please stop eating shit cuz you're full of it.

sorry for ****ing up the thread. but apparently i cannot non-maliciously comment without bmwM5lover "attack" me so blatantly by outright calling me a moron, douche, DEGENERATE for simply saying "no comment" for a comment that obviously deserved "no comment" and stating the obvious as to why Steve did this swap....









...rb26swap

nonlocal 02-08-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richie_s999
Another great thread ruined.....

Let's not prove him right, mmmkay?

Steve you mentioned oil pan clearance as one of your reasons for this swap, What plans do you have to make use of that? Are you raising the strut housings while you're in there? :P

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dH6zd98HBf...-low-movie.jpg

richie_s999 02-08-2011 05:36 PM

[QUOTE=nonlocal;1479916]Let's not prove him right, mmmkay?

Totally agree!!

Steve I remember when you first got the car and brought it to the autoX, its come along way quickly. You should show the pics from the other board, cause I am drooling over how good the floors look when you pulled the carpet!! Is the whole car that solid??

325isStephen 02-08-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonlocal (Post 1479916)
Let's not prove him right, mmmkay?

Steve you mentioned oil pan clearance as one of your reasons for this swap, What plans do you have to make use of that? Are you raising the strut housings while you're in there? :P

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dH6zd98HBf...-low-movie.jpg

No raised strut towers. Planning on g60 koni adjustables in some shortened housing with 6" eibach race springs and camber plates. I was able to go damn low on stock strut mounts and 6 inch springs before, so I don't forsee anything stopping me from going lower then I used to be in my old car.

[QUOTE=richie_s999;1480007]
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonlocal (Post 1479916)
Let's not prove him right, mmmkay?

Totally agree!!

Steve I remember when you first got the car and brought it to the autoX, its come along way quickly. You should show the pics from the other board, cause I am drooling over how good the floors look when you pulled the carpet!! Is the whole car that solid??

The car has a bit of cancer, but nothing bad for a canadian car, I had to patch a small spot on the passenger side floor, and need to fix the wholes the p.o put in the rockers for sideskirts, but otherwise, structuraly the car is good. Just need to get new front fenders and the rust will be taken care of.

E30M42cab 02-09-2011 12:42 AM

Are you going to go lower than the rado? That is the question. And will it make it to H20 again?

SamE30e 02-09-2011 12:29 PM

I haveeee a bonnnerrr

325isStephen 02-09-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E30M42cab (Post 1480097)
Are you going to go lower than the rado? That is the question. And will it make it to H20 again?

Definitely going to be stupid low, with the oil pan sitting well above the subframe it gives me lots of room to drop the car without smashing the oil pan every other day like if it had an m20.

H2Oi is a definite yes for me. Last year I went with 10 people, this year it should be closer to 14 or so, were gunna get a house.

richie_s999 02-09-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 325isStephen (Post 1480226)
Definitely going to be stupid low, with the oil pan sitting well above the subframe it gives me lots of room to drop the car without smashing the oil pan every other day like if it had an m20.

H2Oi is a definite yes for me. Last year I went with 10 people, this year it should be closer to 14 or so, were gunna get a house.


When is the H20 show this year....

325isStephen 02-09-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richie_s999 (Post 1480245)
When is the H20 show this year....

It's the last weekend of september.

El Gato Liso 02-10-2011 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 325isStephen (Post 1480226)
Definitely going to be stupid low, with the oil pan sitting well above the subframe it gives me lots of room to drop the car without smashing the oil pan...

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

craz azn 02-10-2011 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Gato Liso (Post 1480299)
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

LOL. 24v fail :P

Bullet Ride 02-10-2011 09:41 AM

Which engine mounts do people throw on the M20 so that the oil pan sits just above the bottom of the steering rack? E34?

ACS_DAN 02-10-2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullet Ride (Post 1480327)
Which engine mounts do people throw on the M20 so that the oil pan sits just above the bottom of the steering rack? E34?

I believe it's e36.

The swap is looking pretty tasty! Very Nice!

hosty 02-10-2011 02:51 PM

the LIES!

I thought you were going inline-6 turbo.

Not 4 :(

325isStephen 02-10-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hosty (Post 1480397)
the LIES!

I thought you were going inline-6 turbo.

Not 4 :(

Would have been nice, but a swap like that just isn't in my price range, not to mention the extra clearance issues. I do like how far back the engine is going to sit while still having loads of power.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2018