maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   5 series (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   E34 M5 no compression in Cyl. #3 (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142042)

Boxer2 04-12-2011 06:21 PM

E34 M5 no compression in Cyl. #3

Hey folks, I'm working on my E34 M5 and determined that there is no compression in cylinder #3.

I have never worked on a S38B36, I have been told it could need a valve adjustment.

Since I have no experience with this motor I was wondering if anyone that does have experience with the S38 would have any advice as to what the problem may be.

Also I would be looking for a reputable technician that is 100% confident they can do the job without damaging the motor, if anyone knows of a good tech please let me know.

thanks
Rene

marek 04-12-2011 06:51 PM

Marcus Glarner is the man when it comes to M motors. He is in Port Hope, ON.

Doubtful that it would need just a valve adjustment, but not impossible. Valve clearances are easy to check yourself.

Google it and you will find a step-by-step DIY

BigD 04-12-2011 07:52 PM

So all other cylinders are good, it ran fine otherwise? Probably not the problem then but I'd double check the timing just in case.

Do you have any oil in the coolant or vice versa, or coolant pressurization? I think best case is that the head gasket is toast.

Either way, to check it out I'd go to Auto Evolution in Oakville. If you need major engine work, then Progressive Specialties.

BigD 04-12-2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marek (Post 1494038)
Marcus Glarner is the man when it comes to M motors. He is in Port Hope, ON.

That's true but make sure your will mentions who gets your car, since your descendants are likely to be the ones to receive the finished product :P (keeeeding Rudy... kinda haha)

Boxer2 04-12-2011 09:25 PM

I suppose I should re-phrase my words a little, I am only assuming there is no compression based on what I was told, I just know cyl #3 has an issue because it made no difference if the ignition wire was connected to the plug while the engine was running, yet when I pulled all the other wires(one at a time) it affected the way it ran.

I am not suspecting the head gasket as the oil and coolant are not mixing into one another....as for pressurization of the coolant, there is nothing coming out the overflow so I'm thinking it's fine.

BigD 04-12-2011 09:29 PM

Urr did you check the distributor, ignition wire and the spark plug? Spark plug wires on these go bad... cost a pretty penny to replace too.

Boxer2 04-12-2011 09:59 PM

I did pull the spark plug, and it looks as if it was firing normally.

Boxer2 04-12-2011 11:00 PM

wires are good as well, lots of spark.

Tekals 04-12-2011 11:13 PM

I had that kind of problem on my e30 325.

The motor had no difference in the way it ran by removing one the ignition wire. I had also noticed that the injector of the same cylinder was leaking.

Turned out that my injector filter was completly filled with rust such that there wasn't any fuel delivered by that injector. Check this and let us know!

Boxer2 04-13-2011 12:55 PM

Will check the injectors and report back, I'm really hoping this is something relatively simple to fix, it's nice out now and I was really looking forward to driving the M5

craz azn 04-13-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD (Post 1494051)
That's true but make sure your will mentions who gets your car, since your descendants are likely to be the ones to receive the finished product :P (keeeeding Rudy... kinda haha)

Perfection takes time sir ;)

MarkD 04-13-2011 01:45 PM

I'd guess that you have a bad valve or problem with a piston if you truly have no compression. You are near London Ontario? I don't know anyone out there, but I do know a very good BMW mechanic with lots of s14/s38 experience and you won't need to add your car to your will as he'll have it done fast! Or take it to Markus and wait a bit. Well maybe a few bits... *sleep*

Who told you it could be no compression? Why don't you test it yourself? Anyway there is very little that is a simple cheap fix when this sort of problem occurs.

craz azn 04-13-2011 01:55 PM

^ Agreed. I am kind of surprised you haven't done a compression test yourself yet, as well as a leakdown to see whats going on inside. Beats running around trying to replace parts that probably aren't the culprit.

BigD 04-13-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craz azn (Post 1494247)
Perfection takes time sir ;)

LOL Yeah that's true, parts need to age like a fine wine before you touch them, for best results.

BigD 04-13-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craz azn (Post 1494255)
^ Agreed. I am kind of surprised you haven't done a compression test yourself yet, as well as a leakdown to see whats going on inside. Beats running around trying to replace parts that probably aren't the culprit.

Yeah, even if it is a low compression cylinder, that at best means a new head gasket so most people would delude themselves into believing it's anything but that until every possible test for something else is exhausted.