maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (
-   General Discussion (
-   -   1994 740 i (

dsheetz 11-24-2012 11:24 AM

1994 740 i
1 Attachment(s)
I have a 94 740I, beautiful car with low miles. My drivers seat is showing some wear and i would like to replace it. Does anyone know where i can get a new one. I have not checked BMW yet, i should have. Anyway, it has all the bells and whistles, power, heat, lumbar, memory, color is tan.

If i find one can i switch it out myself with out any special tools?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Barrington, il

SubDad 11-24-2012 10:53 PM

Save trouble, give me the car!
Beautiful car. I think you should give your car to me rather than fixing the seat.

If your car is low mileage it might be hard to find a replacement seat that is better than the one you have, and matching the passenger seat would be unlikely, right?

Have you thought about getting the seat refurbished instead? You can probably get the existing fabric or leather professionally renewed or replaced for less hassle and cost than getting a new seat. There are chain and Mom/Pop places that do that sort of thing. Get both fronts done at the same time.

I don't know specifics about 740 seats, but car seats in general are not mechanically difficult to remove. They're way heavier and much more awkward than you'd think though, so get a friend to help with the actual lifting or you'll blow your back out.

The seat frame bolts to the floor pan in most cars (again, 740 different?) can get really ugly. If you can get penetrating oil into the bolt holes a week before you want to take the seats out you can avoid disaster.
Actually, that goes for pretty much any job on a car that's old enough to be out of warranty.

dsheetz 11-25-2012 09:38 AM

94 740i

Thanks much for the advice. All good.

bmwm5lover 11-25-2012 11:49 AM

I would look at leatherique. Those products do wonders for leather. You can dye it and you will never know, otherwise some of our sponsors (Bimmer Heaven) have what you need.