maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=119)
-   -   The end of my rope (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137307)

Philboski 09-30-2010 02:24 PM

The end of my rope

Well, I think that I am hitting the end of my BMW tolerance. The car flunked emissions today (blew over on the NOX), and I apparently need a new center link. This is on top of the other issues (cooling system is due, rear ball joints, replacement of the struts after 50K kms, etc). Thinking it's time to give up the ghost before something really expensive happens again. I love driving it, but it would be nice to have a car where everything worked for once. :mad:

carjoe 09-30-2010 02:36 PM

Shitteh. Sorry to hear that P. I hate to admit but I've been feeling that way too. I keep thinking my E36 didn't need this much work and it had over 250k.

To do on my car:
Shocks/struts
tranny fluid change
Summer tires
possible rear main
paint front bumper, fix rust on trunk and lower doors
and I think my VCG is leaking again only a hell of a lot this time around

I've been eying a ginormous SUV in the last couple of weeks. A Durango or Expedition would be pretty awesome.

Philboski 09-30-2010 03:29 PM

It would haul all of your BMW parts!

I have been eyeing an Acura TL or going the other direction and getting a Mazda3 (both used). They don't feel as "special," but then they likely won't feel like a never ending pain in the butt either.

richie_s999 09-30-2010 03:45 PM

Take a look at what your new car payments and maintance will be over a year and then compair it to what repair and maintance cost is, new or used it's usually about 5000 a year, and I beleive Quebec has cheap ass insurance compaired to Ontario so car costs per year are alot less.

parm 09-30-2010 03:57 PM

A used Durango or Expedition? you wll cry and crawl back from where you came from, Remember e36's and e39's are getting old! Never mind the e30's and e34's (not the mint ones booting around).. The ones for sale on used car lots.:eek:

Philboski 09-30-2010 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richie_s999 (Post 1454437)
Take a look at what your new car payments and maintenance will be over a year and then compare it to what repair and maintenance cost is, new or used it's usually about 5000 a year, and I believe Quebec has cheap ass insurance compared to Ontario so car costs per year are a lot less.

I don't buy new cars -- I'd be looking at used.

I live in Ontario, so I get reamed on insurance like the rest of the province. Maintenance costs? I have spent a frightening (well, to me anyway) amount of money on this car. It wouldn't match up with new payments but it's pretty bad. Close to half of what I paid for the car, anyway.

It goes back to the age old problem -- I don't mind working on cars but I am tired of dealing with this car. I am sick of repairs that pile up endlessly, waiting for me to have the time, to deal with them. Or worse, get so frustrated that I pay someone else to deal with them.

I might change my mind, but this feels like a last straw to me.

zarbat007 10-01-2010 09:55 AM

Damn, time to sell and get a something more reliable. Acura parts, especially TL can be really expensive, but I'm sure they are generally more reliable than a BMW.
Mind posting some pics of the E39?

Quote:

Originally Posted by carjoe (Post 1454418)
Shitteh. Sorry to hear that P. I hate to admit but I've been feeling that way too. I keep thinking my E36 didn't need this much work and it had over 250k.

To do on my car:
Shocks/struts
tranny fluid change
Summer tires
possible rear main
paint front bumper, fix rust on trunk and lower doors
and I think my VCG is leaking again only a hell of a lot this time around

I've been eying a ginormous SUV in the last couple of weeks. A Durango or Expedition would be pretty awesome.

Why is VCG leaking so soon again?

Philboski 10-01-2010 10:34 AM

Here is a pic of my Bimmer during better times.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...k/IMG_0034.jpg

I think that I might have sorted out the reason for my high NOx reading -- my coolant was low (I have a leaking expansion tank). This is one of the reasons I saw listed on my web research, so I might be able to coax a pass by changing that tank, or just topping up the coolant, and doing some stuff like cleaning the MAF and changing the air filter. I blew comfortably clean on everything else.

I am going to look at a couple of cars today. I know the TL is more reliable than the Bimmer -- apparently the only thing that goes wrong on them regularly is the auto transaxle, and I buy manuals. And most of the hard parts on the TL are Honda Accord parts.

The problem for me right now is money. I have a bunch of bills coming up (all centred around my cottage) and some expenses coming up on my house. I need a car, but am having a hard time getting around my aversion to paying for necessities :D . And with my build, being a man-whore is completely out.

Bullet Ride 10-01-2010 10:49 AM

The E39's, especially the V8's are definitely costly when it comes to maintenance, my father has an M5 so I can understand your pain. Our 2002 530i has been pretty good to us though, it's around 160,000km and the only parts replaced so far are a front and rear sway bar link, a front right brake caliper, and a cam sensor. Recently though the power locks and power windows have been flaky, probably some accessory module that's crapping out. The M5 is only at 75,000km though and it needed the water pump done this year *thmbsdwn*

Quote:

The Durango is a lemon (at least the ones in the early 2000's were) they were so bad that people were talking about class action law suits against Chrysler. Don't sell your BMW and buy one hoping that it's going to be an amazingly reliable vehicle....

everlast 10-01-2010 11:44 AM

Philboski, go to NAPA and get a can of seafoam. Pour half in your nearly empty tank and suck the other half up an intake vacuum line while the car is running. My numbers in the E30 went from marginally passing the year before to passing like a new car. It will work.

PinkieMoscow 10-01-2010 01:37 PM

never be discouraged as it leads to giving up. Take your car and manhandle it into working properly. Spend a good long weekend working on your car 24/3 and it'll be like new.

everlast 10-01-2010 01:41 PM

That said, my E30 was having troubles one day, so I had to take my E34. When I pulled out of the driveway there was a 5' oil slick. The diff emptied.

I pulled back in the driveway, got out, threw the keys at the drivers side window and yelled "**** YOU" at the E34. I leased a new car a few days later. I feel your pain.

However, in retrospect, I feel I made a hasty decision.

carjoe 10-01-2010 02:19 PM

Meh, I love this car. I had a great ride today...I just need to get the shocks and struts done and redo the silly VCG. It's probably an installation error. You know, since I did it. :D

InfiniteDice 10-01-2010 03:09 PM

That's why I stick to a car I can fix and not have to deal with emissions. I pay the government enough of my money as it is.

HavocSteve 10-01-2010 09:58 PM

You guy would hate my E30 beater :D The only thing that I think isn't wrong with it is me driving ahaha....

Oh well.. I needs a better car next year!

dble Trouble 10-01-2010 11:04 PM

I hate to hear problems like these. I'm sorry for your troubles. I must also say that many of these things creep up with this type of car with this type of age. IMO, the 3 series are the bimmers to own unless you have the $ and time to deal with issues. E30's and E36's have their own issues but if you buy a clean well kept one, then it's just change the oil and cover all of the usual maintenance for inexpensive dd'ing. No one abuses their e30 more than me. (not that I'm proud of it) I track my car 10-15 days a year, autocross 8 times a year, tow a trailer at least 40 times a year, and put on over 1000 km/week. The car is a 1991 325i that just rolled 300 000 km. It has not been perfect nor is it currently perfect, but anything I've repaired so far has been reasonable inexpensive, and very easy car to work on myself. It also helps to surround yourself with knowledgeable friends who either have parts in stock or know where to get them fast and cheap. Not to mention are willing to help at a moments notice. I feel very fortunate to be part of this and must say that no newer car would put up with this abuse nor be as cheap to run, not to mention I go 700km/tank with a mark d chip and 91 octane gas. No complaints here. I have a friend with an Integra who is jealous of my fuel mileage. I almost bought a 540i a number of years ago, but did my research and realised I wasn't ready for that yet. Costs and quirks weren't for me yet. I will still one day own an e39 M5 but until I could afford the issues and have a second back up car I will not take the dive. Hang in there, and if you do decide to replace the 5er, get an e36 328, same driving pleasure less troubles and definitely cheaper to run.

Just my two cents......

Bimmer Heaven 10-01-2010 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philboski (Post 1454631)
I think that I might have sorted out the reason for my high NOx reading -- my coolant was low (I have a leaking expansion tank). This is one of the reasons I saw listed on my web research, so I might be able to coax a pass by changing that tank, or just topping up the coolant, and doing some stuff like cleaning the MAF and changing the air filter. I blew comfortably clean on everything else.

For a car to last, and be anywhere close to reliable, you HAVE to maintain it...When you have a leaking coolant system, i am scared to think what else was overlooked on your car!

I see it all the time, not long ago a customer caused $1300 of damage by not changing a fan clutch!!! All could have been avoided (and he was told so!) with less then $100...

Some of the best cars i owned are high KM, but well taken care of; my 330 has 240K and my Expedition 430K, both super reliable!!!

Bimmer Heaven 10-01-2010 11:32 PM

Quote:

I love my Expedition, but the cost of parts is just as much (sometimes MORE) then a BMW!!! Unless you have a purpos for it, fuel cost will make you cry...Even with the small V8, i'm looking at $10K+year if i DD it...

Nick_V 10-01-2010 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everlast (Post 1454696)
That said, my E30 was having troubles one day, so I had to take my E34. When I pulled out of the driveway there was a 5' oil slick. The diff emptied.

I pulled back in the driveway, got out, threw the keys at the drivers side window and yelled "**** YOU" at the E34. I leased a new car a few days later. I feel your pain.

However, in retrospect, I feel I made a hasty decision.

how dare you treat an E34 like that:D

Philboski 10-01-2010 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everlast (Post 1454652)
Philboski, go to NAPA and get a can of seafoam. Pour half in your nearly empty tank and suck the other half up an intake vacuum line while the car is running. My numbers in the E30 went from marginally passing the year before to passing like a new car. It will work.

That work for the NO reading? I blew clean on everything else.

I have a feeling it might be due to the cooling system having a leak, and being on low coolant from time to time.

I'll try the Seafoam though. That, a new air filter, and a clean MAF might help.

Philboski 10-02-2010 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurostyle (Post 1454831)
For a car to last, and be anywhere close to reliable, you HAVE to maintain it...When you have a leaking coolant system, i am scared to think what else was overlooked on your car!

I am frustrated with my vehicle -- I don't think that this gives you license to insult me.

I maintain my cars very well, thank you very much. It's just that maintaining it constantly, with other items needing maintaining as each one is fixed is getting to me -- hell, it's already gotten to me. With the amount I have spent on this car, purchase and repairs all in, I could have bought a pretty good new car. This has been BY FAR the most unreliable car I have owned. I have done the intake manifold gasket/valley pan job, had to get the timing chain guides replaced after one broke ($2300 at a labour rate of $65/hour -- 10 hours plus parts), replacing the cats, as well as shocks and struts.

Now I am facing a cooling system job, new centre link and tie rods, new rear ball joints (because if you're going to align it, make sure everything is tip-top) replacing the Sachs struts that gave up after 45,000 kms (free under warranty -- if I send them back to BavAuto to get a new set of Sachs :mad: ), on top of a couple of minor items. I don't have a garage, and I don't fit under cars easily. In parts alone, I am looking at roughly 25 percent of the vehicle's value, and that percent rises if you're looking to trade (one place I asked today said they wouldn't even take it).

So now I am thinking that maybe it's time to move on (I haven't decided yet, and money is a factor) to something that will relieve a serious source of stress in my life, and you're impugning my car care habits? I invite you, sir, to get bent.

everlast 10-02-2010 12:37 AM

Yeah, eurostyle, that's a little over the top.

Deep 3.2TL 10-02-2010 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philboski (Post 1454430)
It would haul all of your BMW parts!

I have been eyeing an Acura TL or going the other direction and getting a Mazda3 (both used). They don't feel as "special," but then they likely won't feel like a never ending pain in the butt either.

I did exactly that after my '99 323i cost me $10K in 18 months. Bought a 2002 Acura 3.2TL - Traded it 2 years ago for a 2006 Acura TL. Now I'm thinkin' of the new one! LOL...

NO major issues at ALL with my Acura's - Normal stuff like brakes, etc.

I have fun in my TL - it's nice having ALL the amenities. I have Navi/bluetooth/the works...

Go for it!

Deep

Deep 3.2TL 10-02-2010 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zarbat007 (Post 1454625)
Damn, time to sell and get a something more reliable. Acura parts, especially TL can be really expensive, but I'm sure they are generally more reliable than a BMW.

Say what in the who now?

Expensive is relative. More expensive then a similar year/make BMW? Highly doubt that. And yes - I have one, and I don't know. Know why? I haven't needed any parts!!

Definitely more reliable. Those who give the story about "the driving experience" blah blah blah are making themselves feel better. My driving experience is much better, however I do have a slight pain in the left butt cheek... oh wait... That's my money still in my wallet... :D

Bimmer Heaven 10-02-2010 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philboski (Post 1454859)
I am frustrated with my vehicle -- I don't think that this gives you license to insult me.

I maintain my cars very well, thank you very much. It's just that maintaining it constantly, with other items needing maintaining as each one is fixed is getting to me -- hell, it's already gotten to me. With the amount I have spent on this car, purchase and repairs all in, I could have bought a pretty good new car. This has been BY FAR the most unreliable car I have owned. I have done the intake manifold gasket/valley pan job, had to get the timing chain guides replaced after one broke ($2300 at a labour rate of $65/hour -- 10 hours plus parts), replacing the cats, as well as shocks and struts.

Now I am facing a cooling system job, new centre link and tie rods, new rear ball joints (because if you're going to align it, make sure everything is tip-top) replacing the Sachs struts that gave up after 45,000 kms (free under warranty -- if I send them back to BavAuto to get a new set of Sachs :mad: ), on top of a couple of minor items. I don't have a garage, and I don't fit under cars easily. In parts alone, I am looking at roughly 25 percent of the vehicle's value, and that percent rises if you're looking to trade (one place I asked today said they wouldn't even take it).

So now I am thinking that maybe it's time to move on (I haven't decided yet, and money is a factor) to something that will relieve a serious source of stress in my life, and you're impugning my car care habits? I invite you, sir, to get bent.

I was not trying to insult you, just stating the obvious! Sorry if it hurts.

Asking me to get bent, please, are we 10 years old here!? But whatever...

Fact is, if your car is leaking coolant, you should NOT drive it, PERIOD!!! Maybe overheating would come as a surprise, but its not BMW's problem you didnt want to fix it. Show me ONE car, that will take that kind of abuse, and...well, maybe you should just buy that car!*th-up*

Again, this was not ment to be an insult to you, just a rant about people that dont fix things, and expect it last forever...Timing chain guides being the perfect example; did you have them replaced at the regular interval before they broke?:confused:

Bimmer Heaven 10-02-2010 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL (Post 1454870)
I did exactly that after my '99 323i cost me $10K in 18 months. Bought a 2002 Acura 3.2TL - Traded it 2 years ago for a 2006 Acura TL. Now I'm thinkin' of the new one! LOL...

NO major issues at ALL with my Acura's - Normal stuff like brakes, etc.

I have fun in my TL - it's nice having ALL the amenities. I have Navi/bluetooth/the works...

Go for it!

Deep

BUT i guess we have a better forum, for you to be hanging here so long!*shiner*:D

Deep 3.2TL 10-02-2010 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurostyle (Post 1454872)

Fact is, if your car is leaking coolant, you should NOT drive it, PERIOD!!! Maybe overheating would come as a surprise, but its not BMW's problem you didnt want to fix it. Show me ONE car, that will take that kind of abuse, and...well, maybe you should just buy that car!*th-up*

Again, this was not ment to be an insult to you, just a rant about people that dont fix things, and expect it last forever...Timing chain guides being the perfect example; did you have them replaced at the regular interval before they broke?:confused:

He's ranting about the car constantly breaking down. When things are breaking faster then he can fix them, it's not easy. Some folks don't the money to keep pouring and pouring. I feel his pain as I went through it...

Deep 3.2TL 10-02-2010 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurostyle (Post 1454874)
BUT i guess we have a better forum, for you to be hanging here so long!*shiner*:D

Nothing local on the Acura side that's as big... All in the US.

Take a look at my posts - It ain't like I'm all that active anymore...

Bimmer Heaven 10-02-2010 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everlast (Post 1454866)
Yeah, eurostyle, that's a little over the top.

Ok, i'm sorry...

BMW is the worst car because i cant drive it with a coolant leak...*uzi*

bmwconnect 10-02-2010 01:04 AM

Philboski looking threw your past posts IMHO you have contributed to the maxbimmer community brilliantly either threw your negative or positive experiences witch I believe warrants a push in any direction from the BMW community that will make you happy even if it means dropping your BMW... best of luck in your search for automobile serenity

Deep 3.2TL 10-02-2010 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwconnect (Post 1454879)
Philboski looking threw your past posts IMHO you have contributed to the maxbimmer community brilliantly either threw your negative or positive experiences witch I believe warrants a push in any direction from the BMW community that will make you happy even if it means dropping your BMW... best of luck in your search for automobile serenity

Great post - nice to see a post with out the air of elite-ism which happens alot.

zarbat007 10-02-2010 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL (Post 1454871)
Say what in the who now?

Expensive is relative. More expensive then a similar year/make BMW? Highly doubt that. And yes - I have one, and I don't know. Know why? I haven't needed any parts!!

Definitely more reliable. Those who give the story about "the driving experience" blah blah blah are making themselves feel better. My driving experience is much better, however I do have a slight pain in the left butt cheek... oh wait... That's my money still in my wallet... :D

We've had to order some parts for Acuras before and they were fairly expensive for a glorified Honda. Plus, the V6 models have very little room in engine bays to do anything.
Don't get me wrong, I specially like the 2004+ TLs. Exterior is nice, beautiful interior, they are reliable. But by the end of the day, its still an Acura.
I still like my BMWs after owning them for a long time. But if I was to buy anything Japanese, I'd get bored with it after 3 months.

PS: "The driving experience" thing is pretty much true. I've driven enough cars to know the difference. If we wanted to buy something reliable, everyone in this board would have so many other options other than Euro cars. Even if we do pour money into these cars, we still love it.

Deep 3.2TL 10-02-2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zarbat007 (Post 1454882)
PS: "The driving experience" thing is pretty much true. I've driven enough cars to know the difference. If we wanted to buy something reliable, everyone in this board would have so many other options other than Euro cars. Even if we do pour money into these cars, we still love it.

So have I - From Ferrari's to Z4's to M6's to all kinds of Porsche's.

A 3 series BMW doesn't entrall me to the road. Now if you go higher, M5's, M6's, etc that different, but it's also WELL out of the same price range, so you'd expect different.

Philboski 10-02-2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurostyle (Post 1454872)

Again, this was not meant to be an insult to you, just a rant about people that don't fix things, and expect it last forever...Timing chain guides being the perfect example; did you have them replaced at the regular interval before they broke?:confused:

I am not 10 years old, but I am severely frustrated. What is meant by your comments matters less than how they appear to the person to whom they are directed.

If the car is leaking coolant from the expansion tank, at a rate of a minor top-up (roughly a cup) every two weeks, it isn't exactly engine threatening. If it needs more, then do the work, and quick. And I'll be damned if I am going to dump a grand into a car just to trade it.

I am currently assessing my finances to determine the best course of action. One of those directions may be keeping the car -- I don't know yet.

richie_s999 10-02-2010 11:10 AM

Is your car chipped?? If so the timing is likely advanced, whick can affect the nox numbers, also make sure they run the giant fan in front of it, they are susposed to do this so it cools the car like the air would at 40km an hour

HavocSteve 10-02-2010 11:12 AM

Why not source used parts? Expansion tank from another E36 or whatever could cost maybe 50$ and solve your coolant problem. I spent about 100$ on new hoses so I could completely replace all my hoses in my engine bay. Took me about 2hrs or time to complete. Not even hard except for some spots but now my car doesn't leak nor do I worry about busting hoses. A used rad in mint condition cost me 60$ and at the same time I got a new clutch fan, which only took 30 minutes to swap in and out.

Getting used things that work perfectly fine will save you thousands. Source the used, swap them over with the broken, and get new things like seals or w/e is needed that absolutely needs to be new. Everyone is parting out BMW's so finding parts will not be hard.

Just my 2cents.

richie_s999 10-02-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL (Post 1454897)
So have I - From Ferrari's to Z4's to M6's to all kinds of Porsche's.

A 3 series BMW doesn't entrall me to the road. Now if you go higher, M5's, M6's, etc that different, but it's also WELL out of the same price range, so you'd expect different.

Either your opion of what a real car should handle like is off or your talking out your ass trying to envoke and piss off people that 3 series don't handle.

Any BMW will out handle your Acura.

You know nothing about true performance driving if you think 5,6, and higher cars out perform the 3's at the limit. If this were true everyone including the factory teams have been running the wrong cars at the track for the last 30 years.

HavocSteve 10-02-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richie_s999 (Post 1454923)
Either your opion of what a real car should handle like is off or your talking out your ass trying to envoke and piss off people that 3 series don't handle.

Any BMW will out handle your Acura.

You know nothing about true performance driving if you think 5,6, and higher cars out perform the 3's at the limit. If this were true everyone including the factory teams have been running the wrong cars at the track for the last 30 years.

Your on a steamroller rampage Richie ahaha... *uzi*

But I agree with you on this, a 3 series can handle very well, let alone if you upgrade the suspension and such. Out of about 100different cars I've got to drive in my short life span, I love how my E30 performs even though it's the roughest E30 in Canada (that's on the road).

Philboski 10-02-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zarbat007 (Post 1454882)

I'll agree with this statement -- BMWs are wonderful to drive, when they're right. The TL is good to drive, not great, but rarely breaks (save for the automatic transaxle).

The two TLs that I looked at were not perfect, but were decent -- they had flaws like any other used car. One had a troubling problem with the power windows, the other had everything working, but looked like it had scraped something along the right side -- a bit of a wow in the paint on the door. This was the dealer that, when I asked for a rough idea how much I could get for mine in trade, refused to take the car as there would be no money in it for them.

carjoe 10-02-2010 11:58 AM

If you're inclined to keep the car, I'm offering up my garage and a day on a weekend. I don't have a ton of tools but I do have a space for you to work.