maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Anyone use a radar detector? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10080)

BMW_M52_M20 01-21-2003 12:04 AM

Anyone use a radar detector?

I have a Bel 980 it basically has all the options including the VG-2 stealth mode. I only use it going up to the cottage usually, but I have been using it quite a bit going up to my buddy's place in Brampton. I have seen enough cops on the 403 East and 410 North. It's weird I have never seen any cops on there except for the past couple of months.
Jay

SickFinga 01-21-2003 12:05 AM

Swear to god I saw at least 30 cruizers in Richmond Hill today

FatDaddyBMW 01-21-2003 12:07 AM

All the time

I have my V1 hardwired to the sunroof on my e28. Had it there for over a year.

I use it everywhere, including in town. It's saved me enough times to pay for itself several times.

V1: Never leave home without it!! *wave*

mkgino 01-21-2003 12:14 AM

Re: All the time

Quote:

Originally posted by FatDaddyBMW
I have my V1 hardwired to the sunroof on my e28. Had it there for over a year.

I use it everywhere, including in town. It's saved me enough times to pay for itself several times.

V1: Never leave home without it!! *wave*

That is what I am planning on doing, hardwiring a V1. Was it hard to do?

FatDaddyBMW 01-21-2003 12:22 AM

Not hard at all!

Quote:

Originally posted by mkgino
That is what I am planning on doing, hardwiring a V1. Was it hard to do?
MK, check out my site at www.fatdaddybmw.com. I have a write-up for pretty much everything I've done to my car. The link to the V1 hardwiring doesn't work, yet, since I haven't moved the page over from the Angelfire site to my new site, but here's the link:

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/couv/v1hardwire.html

Take that write-up with a grain of salt. There's a lot of stuff I would've done differently if I did it now. I wouldn't have removed the A-pillar, I'd have made the wiring much cleaner looking, and I wouldn't have mounted the remote display there.

I've moved the location of the V1 several times. I've had it on the back of the sunroof, on the passenger's sun visor, and finally juuuuuust to the right of the rearview mirror. I really like that setup. Here's a pic of the current location (this was before I did the auto-to-manual swap):

Polish 01-21-2003 12:30 AM

how much is one, and where can i get it??

cops are sneaky these days, cop was hiding behind a pole measuring speeds, i was quite close

thinair 01-21-2003 12:48 AM

Keeping in mind they're illegal in Ontario and OPP cruisers have Radar Detector Detectors.

jeremy 01-21-2003 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by thinair
Keeping in mind they're illegal in Ontario and OPP cruisers have Radar Detector Detectors.
i'll just get a radar detector detector detector...hahaha

mkgino 01-21-2003 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by thinair
Ive heard that only like 3 or 4 crusiers are equipped with those devices, to measure radar detectors.

If I get one then its getting hard wired and hidden in my dash board somewhere, so.........

Oh and they are like $600 bucks.

thinair 01-21-2003 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mkgino
Ive heard that only like 3 or 4 crusiers are equipped with those devices, to measure radar detectors.

If I get one then its getting hard wired and hidden in my dash board somewhere, so.........

Oh and they are like $600 bucks.

The hidden rearview mirror display is the best way to do it IMO.

Jon@Bimmersport 01-21-2003 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jeremy
i'll just get a radar detector detector detector...hahaha
LOL

yea radar detectors are illegal here..my uncle busted 4 people within the past 2 days....plus they are out a lot now in the winter because of stupid drivers. esp with sudden snow storms they pop out left and right. but its for your own safety..its better to have a cop around when u are in an accident in a snow storm than a cop come 20min later.

drive safe guys...keep the speeding for the better days

SickFinga 01-21-2003 01:34 AM

When I got pulled over on the way to Detroit, cop asked me if I have a radar detector, cause his radar showed me that I had something, but I didn't. What kind of stupid question was that, If I had radar detecotor we wouldn'r been pulled over doing 150 :mad: :mad:

Jon@Bimmersport 01-21-2003 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SickFinga
When I got pulled over on the way to Detroit, cop asked me if I have a radar detector, cause his radar showed me that I had something, but I didn't. What kind of stupid question was that, If I had radar detecotor we wouldn'r been pulled over doing 150 :mad: :mad:
dont worry..it wasnt my uncle..he has 3 bmw's and know how speed adictive they make you..i told him to go easy on all the maxbimmer members with the stickers on their car (BUY THE STICKERS!!)

M3ti Compact 01-21-2003 01:44 AM

Anyone got a way of getting a Valentine One in Toronto?
The way that insurance and the speeding ticket will rape you is enough justification to take the risk in using one.
I've got this old Passport...which in my opinion is pretty useless now...and only gives a false sense of security...and beeps as I pass Beer stores!

Bliss 01-21-2003 01:57 AM

I got the Bel980, and my dad has the V1 hardwired. Both work great. The V1 is a little more sensitive though.