maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels&Tires (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Disadvantages of Fender Rolling ? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137109)

zend 09-23-2010 08:48 PM

Disadvantages of Fender Rolling ?

What are the disadvantages of rolling the fenders. I have heard that after rolling the fenders, their are more prone to rust. If thats the case, what are some things you can do to prevent this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Zend

phill_e46 09-23-2010 09:12 PM

ive heard of this as well and i ve heard of people cakeing on vaseline not sure if this is true but it sounds like it would work

Dissembler 09-23-2010 09:34 PM

if done properly fender rolling has no ill effects. Do it too fast and you may crack the paint, which can let corrosion in. But if you saw you cracked the paint, why wouldn't you hit with some undercoating/repair the damaged area?

Ceeker 09-23-2010 10:47 PM

No matter what; you are squeezing two metal surfaces together. you won't make a perfect seal so rust can potentially develop.(Grin) Vaseline may work because it is a petroleum by product.

How about not driving it in the rain or winter. :-)

Jonsku 09-29-2010 02:47 AM

Clean the inside very well before rolling and afterwards seal the gap properly and you won't face any problems.

phill_e46 09-30-2010 01:36 PM

does anyone know if it can be done with out cracking the paint ? and of a good place to do it ?

spoony_prelude 09-30-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phill_e46 (Post 1454409)
does anyone know if it can be done with out cracking the paint ? and of a good place to do it ?

Phil not sure if youve seen my fenders up close, but carlos at cool1, pulled and rolled my fenders, did a great job too!

Jay

theblue 09-30-2010 05:05 PM

the lip is a structural part of the fender so you're weakening it also. It's not like they just got bored one day and decided to put a lip there.

That said, I rolled my fenders and would do it again if needed.

phill_e46 10-01-2010 12:13 AM

jay you got your car painted at the same time right? is it possible to not have to paint the car to ? im trying to avoid that right now

ZiMMie 10-01-2010 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phill_e46 (Post 1454581)
jay you got your car painted at the same time right? is it possible to not have to paint the car to ? im trying to avoid that right now

We can do it as long as you fenders/paint is original.

iverson03tj 10-01-2010 12:24 PM

The PO did roll the fenders and yes it started to rust... the underbody is in better condition than the fenders are, because it was rolled... i talked to the body shop and he told me, he told me that the only thing he could do is to cut it out n make it with fibreglass... so becareful... also the PO never maintained the car so well.

iverson03tj 10-01-2010 12:26 PM

is there a way to put some kind of stuffing between the metal to create a seal... like a rubber ribbon or something..

phill_e46 10-01-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZiMMie (Post 1454582)

yeah se one of the sides was already fixed and im not sure if the other one was to . maybe ill just wait untill i get the car painted any ideas how much a GOOD paint job would cost and how long to cuz this is my grocery getter so it would probably have to get done while im i take vacation

phill_e46 10-01-2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZiMMie (Post 1454582)

yeah se one of the sides was already fixed and im not sure if the other one was to . maybe ill just wait untill i get the car painted any ideas how much a GOOD paint job would cost and how long to cuz this is my grocery getter so it would probably have to get done while i take vacation

doogee 10-01-2010 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phill_e46 (Post 1454690)
yeah se one of the sides was already fixed and im not sure if the other one was to . maybe ill just wait untill i get the car painted any ideas how much a GOOD paint job would cost and how long to cuz this is my grocery getter so it would probably have to get done while i take vacation

Depends if you're looking for a quick respray or a color change.

But for a good job, 3-4k maybe?