maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   LHC to go online on Wednesday; End of world next month. (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110127)

DANIMAL 09-08-2008 10:35 AM

LHC to go online on Wednesday; End of world next month.
 
Anyone know about the Large Hadron Collider?

The first proton stream is being webcast live on Wednesday. With testing(particle smashing) to commence mid next month. The guys at CERN have received a lot of warnings about using this device (ie. death threats), and other space-time related issues(some think the micro black holes that will likely be formed will cause a space time loop for humanity(Immortality FTW! make sure your doing something you would enjoy for the rest of eternity)).

For those who don't know the LHC(Large Hadron Collider) is a 27km ring that will allow scientists to fire two separate particle beams at near light speed(~297,000km/sec) and record the results with various instruments as they collide. This will allow scientists to replicate what the atomic and subatomic makeup of the universe when it was 1 billionth of a second old. While most likely nothing catastrophic will happen this is a very important experiment for science and humanity either proving or disproving fundamentals that most of our scientific knowledge is built from.

For those who prefer a musical explanation:


http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-13964014.html
"Scientists receive death threats over Large Hadron Collider"

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j...OOtTQD931VSPO1
CERN fires up new atom smasher to near Big Bang

Bankrun!

Fel 09-08-2008 10:49 AM

I'd suggest a bank Run too, if it weren't for the fact that banks won't exist when the UNIVERSE EXPLODES!! ...or something.



edit: does Large Hadron Collider sound gay to anyone else? Just me?

5style 09-08-2008 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fel (Post 1197080)
I'd suggest a bank Run too, if it weren't for the fact that banks won't exist when the UNIVERSE EXPLODES!! ...or something.



edit: does Large Hadron Collider sound gay to anyone else? Just me?

LOLOLOL! Large HARDON collider... wow, thats one gay machine.

bmwm5lover 09-08-2008 11:05 AM

Git R DONE!!
If I die though and don;t get a chance to go offroading the coming weekend, I am going to be ****ING PISSED!

5style 09-08-2008 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 325iGuy (Post 1197074)
Anyone know about the Large Hadron Collider?

The first proton stream is being webcast live on Wednesday. With testing(particle smashing) to commence mid next month. The guys at CERN have received a lot of warnings about using this device (ie. death threats), and other space-time related issues(some think the micro black holes that will likely be formed will cause a space time loop for humanity(Immortality FTW! make sure your doing something you would enjoy for the rest of eternity)).

For those who don't know the LHC(Large Hadron Collider) is a 27km ring that will allow scientists to fire two separate particle beams at near light speed(~297,000km/sec) and record the results with various instruments as they collide. This will allow scientists to replicate what the atomic and subatomic makeup of the universe when it was 1 billionth of a second old. While most likely nothing catastrophic will happen this is a very important experiment for science and humanity either proving or disproving fundamentals that most of our scientific knowledge is built from.

For those who prefer a musical explanation:


http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-13964014.html
"Scientists receive death threats over Large Hadron Collider"

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j...OOtTQD931VSPO1
CERN fires up new atom smasher to near Big Bang

Bankrun!


Dan, if the worse happens, I m in on the bank run. *th-up*

DANIMAL 09-08-2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwm5lover (Post 1197094)
Git R DONE!!
If I die though and don;t get a chance to go offroading the coming weekend, I am going to be ****ING PISSED!

They are not smashing them together till next month, dont worry your safe from stranglets/micro-blackholes/monopoles and Hawking Radiation for this weekend.

Boots R 09-08-2008 11:23 AM

My money is on nothing catastrophic.

$100.00 cdn. Any takers?

DANIMAL 09-08-2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boots R (Post 1197106)
My money is on nothing catastrophic.

$100.00 cdn. Any takers?

Yea chances are nothing will happen, i'll freely admit that, even if it does we won't know quick enough anyways.
But not one person can say for sure.
Humans have never had this capacity before, the human race is like a 4 yr old that has been deciding whether or not to touch a stove for the last 10,000 years and now were about to do it.

Is it hot or not? we will find out soon enough.

How long do you think it would take to have the earth sucked through a black hole?

saix 09-08-2008 01:07 PM

If Jstalin didn't post this then it's not true~

ericdalinda 09-08-2008 02:17 PM

actually the test is supposed to go down this wednesday at 3:30a.m EST
i have my alarm set so i can say a prayer before we all vanish into a black hole.

5style 09-08-2008 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericdalinda (Post 1197176)
actually the test is supposed to go down this wednesday at 3:30a.m EST
i have my alarm set so i can say a prayer before we all vanish into a black hole.

its a run test, no smashies yet, so don t worry, yet.

AceOfSpades 09-08-2008 02:33 PM

LOL @ hardon collider!

VSanj 09-08-2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericdalinda (Post 1197176)
actually the test is supposed to go down this wednesday at 3:30a.m EST
i have my alarm set so i can say a prayer before we all vanish into a black hole.



dont worry, a micro black hole wont swallow the earth all at once it will take some time.

DANIMAL 09-08-2008 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VSanj (Post 1197196)
dont worry, a micro black hole wont swallow the earth all at once it will take some time.

There are micro blackholes caused by the cosmic rays that hit our atmosphere everyday however they are high energy impacts and are moving near the speed of light. Because of their speed they cannot collect within the earths gravitational field.

It is feared that high energy collisions causing micro black holes at the LHC will be caught by the earth's gravitational field and cause obvious issues. however if Hawking radiation exists then these micro holes will disintegrate very rapidly leaving no ill effects.

Boots R 09-08-2008 03:07 PM

just fyi, we don't get sucked into black holes.


We are compressed to infinity on their event horizon.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2018