maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   m3 climate control not working (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64861)

superman123 01-24-2006 01:52 AM

m3 climate control not working

hey there i have a 97 m3 4door ...anyways i bought about 2 months ago ...all well but turn the key ....put the climate control on full blast and nothing ...no fan noise (and yes there is a fan )....u can hear the vents change when changing the settings but no fan ...
this might be very stupid question ...but the radio is locked need to put in the code ....would that matter ....the reason for the question in because im not sure if theres a connection between the two .....(not use to the climate control dunno where to start trouble shooting )did check the fuses *th-up*

any idea's *sad*

rico328i 01-24-2006 02:07 AM

climate control

Nope there should not be a connection between your radio and climate control. You should get the code though, might need to go to your nearest BMW dealership, bring in your ownership and they'll give it to you. Should be free too. Rare!

Does your climate control work intermittently? If so, it's a common late E36 problem. I experienced it myself a couple of years ago. Doesn't sound like the issue, but just in case - here's the link:

http://www.macadamizer.com/bmwfix.html

If not....you've got some researching ahead of you...

Good luck. and keep us posted.

Rico

superman123 01-24-2006 02:11 AM

thanks ...it basically doesnt come on at all...and about the code already called bmw they said i should stop by ....but its a us model they migt have a hard time finding it

thanks for link

propr'one 01-24-2006 02:31 AM

doesn't matter if its us model, even european model. will be ok:)

silver328 01-24-2006 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superman123
hey there i have a 97 m3 4door ...anyways i bought about 2 months ago ...all well but turn the key ....put the climate control on full blast and nothing ...no fan noise (and yes there is a fan )....u can hear the vents change when changing the settings but no fan ...
this might be very stupid question ...but the radio is locked need to put in the code ....would that matter ....the reason for the question in because im not sure if theres a connection between the two .....(not use to the climate control dunno where to start trouble shooting )did check the fuses *th-up*

any idea's *sad*

had the same problem with mine. did the fix outlined in the link - working trouble free for about 6 months now. very common problem with late e36 models.

if you're not mechanically inclined let me know - i know a guy who can do the fix for you pretty cheap.

-j

Justin e36 01-24-2006 11:46 AM

providing you've checked your fuses:

if the climate control is intermittent, then it needs a new resistor.
if the climate control partially works, it needs a new resistor pack.
if the climate control doesn't do anything at all (don't hear the vent's changing) then the climate control needs replacing.
if the fan never turns on, but everything else works, then your blower fan is seized or dead. <-- sounds like your problem.

J

BennyL 01-24-2006 03:14 PM

Justin knows too much - i think he's a spy, or perhaps an alien.

superman123 01-24-2006 07:24 PM

lol...thanks for the help:)
do u think the blower would go even after just 90 000km ?
i should actually contact the previous owner..cos the car got stolen ..then the insurance company sold it ...and it endded up with me
all they stole was the rims ,bumbers ,side skirts ,seats ,and three doors ...no damage was done to the car tho ...the only wires that was cut was the door wires ...but right now the only thing i need is tires and its good to go ...i already put new doors on ....(quick hint when u buy doors off the wreckers they cut the wires they dont just unplug them ....that means a 300dollar door turns into a 600dollar door ...i was lucky i had a part car to work with
by the way im selling that one(parts car ) ...ill post a post in the for sale section with pics and details

superman123 01-24-2006 07:53 PM

and if somebody was wondering if i was mechanically inclined ...i do all the work myself ...i rearly let somebody else touch my cars:)