maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Detailing & Care (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Re-Spray with Sherwin Williams paint, poor colour match. Any better paint companies? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143807)

limenuke 06-21-2011 11:07 AM

Re-Spray with Sherwin Williams paint, poor colour match. Any better paint companies?

Hi guys,

I noticed the paint on my bimmer was shoddily by the PO at some parts. Got an HVLP gun, compressor, filters, some Sherwin Williams (colour code matched) paint and clear and went at it.

(There are a lot of steps that I took here to prep and stuff, but that's not really the point of this post)

In terms of the finish, it was good. Lots of buffing and stuff since it's hard to do your first job without any orange peel....but that's okay.

What I'm cheesed about is that the paint colour turned out a lot lighter and blue'r than the original cosmos black on the BMW. Sherwin Williams did a Satin Silver for my civic and it was too dark...

It doesn't match well at all and I'm pretty cheesed about it. Can anyone here recommend another paint company which does a more accurate paint match?

simplycars 06-21-2011 11:50 AM

Sherwin Williams is the worst.
Get RM / Basf or Glasurit.

jeremy 06-21-2011 12:09 PM

How old is the car?

doogee 06-21-2011 02:42 PM

I find cosmos actually tends to looks Blueish when there isn't much mileage on the car. I swear it gets darker over time.

T.Dot_E30 06-21-2011 02:53 PM

Is it the new water based paint? I heard lots of people have problems with color matching after starting to use that crap.

Ceeker 06-21-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplycars (Post 1509160)
Sherwin Williams is the worst.
Get RM / Basf or Glasurit.

I 2nd the motion on Glasurit. I have only heard awesome things about this paint but again it depends on which color. there is another maker but I can't remember the name aside for BASF.

blk3 06-21-2011 09:53 PM

standox is good too

Steve30 06-21-2011 10:00 PM

yeah water base is shit. the flakes don't sit the same way as they do in oil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 (Post 1509208)
Is it the new water based paint? I heard lots of people have problems with color matching after starting to use that crap.

ProStreetDriver 06-22-2011 11:31 PM

That water based stuff is called waterborne paint. Its a new environmental thing that the government made. All the body shops have to use it. My VW is getting resprayed with waterborne paint. I'm sort of curious how its going to turn out.

You can try Car Quest/Car Kraft. I used them to match my hood. The paint type I purchased was acrylic enamel (single stage paint, no clear) and its pretty much dead on. I had to do a load of wet sanding though because I didn't setup the gun properly and my hood turned into an avocado lol. The color of primer also changes the tone of the paint too.