maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   seized rear wheels (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83690)

bmdbley'sBro 01-06-2007 07:17 PM

seized rear wheels
 
so my car sat for a while 2+ months..ebrake was off
rear wheels are seized solid. car was towed from where it was at.

1st we tried dragging the car with a truck, backwards then forwards to free the parking brakes.
that didn't do it, either did the getting dragged onto the flat bed :confused:

I jacked the car up recently and the rear wheels move 1" approx; forwards & back...
so im thinking it's not the Ebrake... what else could it be..??


shouldn't be able to move at all if it was the e-brake shoes, no?!

havn't taken anything apart yet, but any ideas?

Soldo 01-06-2007 07:27 PM

Thats strange..... maybe your diff is seized? Could the wheel bearings seize up the wheels this badly?

mirek 01-06-2007 08:20 PM

Is it in gear maybe?

Soldo 01-06-2007 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirek
Is it in gear maybe?

:D :D :D :D :D

Nascar318is 01-06-2007 10:28 PM

Like they both said Adam, if you're not in gear take the drivers side tire off and go from there and see what the problem could be before damaging anything any more.

I hope they didn't do any more damage to your car.. But check the E-brake just in case. Buddy that had your car could have had the e-brake on the whole time it was there and told you that it wasn't on.

Could be the springs for the e-brake as well.. But start with taking the tire off...

Or worst comes to worst get someone like Sylvain to go and take a look at it. I'd go but I have my son tomorrow so no go for me.

bmdbley'sBro 01-07-2007 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar318is
Like they both said Adam, if you're not in gear take the drivers side tire off and go from there and see what the problem could be before damaging anything any more.

I hope they didn't do any more damage to your car.. But check the E-brake just in case. Buddy that had your car could have had the e-brake on the whole time it was there and told you that it wasn't on.

Could be the springs for the e-brake as well.. But start with taking the tire off...

Or worst comes to worst get someone like Sylvain to go and take a look at it. I'd go but I have my son tomorrow so no go for me.

Lol no guys it's not in gear :D

yeah i'm going to get a wheel off
i was looking over the bentley manual pics, instructions,
looks straight forward (sure it won't go that way though!) :D

again though Isn't it odd though that both wheels can move 1 inch back & forth???
shoes should stop any movement right?

Nascar318is 01-08-2007 09:54 AM

More then likely. But I know on some cars(including my bmw) when my e-brake was seized, I could move my car an inch or so. Let us know how it goes, cause the May BMW cruise is coming fast lol

bimmerod 01-08-2007 01:48 PM

If you only lift one wheel your diff will keep you from spinning the wheel because the other one is planted.
Jack at the diff to lift both wheels.
Spinning one wheel one way should make the other whell spin the other way.
Unless .......

propr'one 01-08-2007 01:49 PM

For the parking brake to seize cause the car is stored with the parking brake off is nearly impossible.

Its the diff.

bimmerrod, that's not true, unless he has a LSD.

bmdbley'sBro 01-08-2007 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar318is
Let us know how it goes, cause the May BMW cruise is coming fast lol

rofl

bmdbley'sBro 01-11-2007 11:50 AM

lol What a Fiasco, getting it into the shop ......

long story short car drives again.

It was the parking brake shoes:
it would appear 1pin on both sides let go (how random) :confused: causing the shoes to explode open.

teh Bmdoubleya & I did all the labor, we was mooch'n the good tools & pick'n teh mechanics brainz :D

Dr. Flyview 01-11-2007 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro
lol What a Fiasco, getting it into the shop ......

long story short car drives again.

It was the parking brake shoes:
it would appear 1pin on both sides let go (how random) :confused: causing the shoes to explode open.

teh Bmdoubleya & I did all the labor, we was mooch'n the good tools & pick'n teh mechanics brainz :D

At what shop?

carjoe 01-11-2007 03:52 PM

The good news, you have parking brakes that work! Albeit with a slight adjustment required.

Glad to hear you got it rolling again. Now go boost that sucka!

bmdbley'sBro 01-12-2007 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flav_cool
At what shop?

just a dealership.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carjoe
The good news, you have parking brakes that work! Albeit with a slight adjustment required.

Glad to hear you got it rolling again. Now go boost that sucka!

no actualy i have No parking shoes at all! yanked it all & put it in a box.

also on the 23rd of Dec when i went to retrieve my car from the awol custom fab guy I had left it with 2months earlier
my p-brake Cables were cut in an effort to get it free;d and rolling.
they were pretty stretched out before hand & if they looked anything like my parking shoes did :puke:

so i need new cables, p-brake rebuild kit, rotors, pads, etc.
on top of still needing my cracked turbo manifold fixed, adding flex pipe to my downpipe, etc *sad*

only thing that will be getting "boosted" is the amount i'll owe Visa.

Dr. Flyview 01-13-2007 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro
just a dealership.


no actualy i have No parking shoes at all! yanked it all & put it in a box.

also on the 23rd of Dec when i went to retrieve my car from the awol custom fab guy I had left it with 2months earlier
my p-brake Cables were cut in an effort to get it free;d and rolling.
they were pretty stretched out before hand & if they looked anything like my parking shoes did :puke:

so i need new cables, p-brake rebuild kit, rotors, pads, etc.
on top of still needing my cracked turbo manifold fixed, adding flex pipe to my downpipe, etc *sad*

only thing that will be getting "boosted" is the amount i'll owe Visa.

Well we're both in a hole b/c of our bmw misfortunes. No worries it'll get better.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2018