maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Electrical drainage ftmfl... (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118974)

Fel 04-17-2009 08:55 AM

Electrical drainage ftmfl...

Okay, so I'm having this awesome problem with my battery....

If I leave the car off for more than a day, the battery dies. It's not the battery, I've already replaced it with no results. I've also checked a few times that I'm not leaving any lights on or anything.

Kind of sucks going somewhere and fearing that your car might not start by the time you get back to it.... I've taken to disconnecting the positive lead on the battery every time I'm out and parked jsut so it doesn't drain.

So my question is..... where do I start?? What could possibly be causing it? (Out of the 10 billion posibilities....) Could someone give me a checklist of sorts of what I should look at as a possible drain?... maybe starting from cheapest to most expensive... :D

Thanks...

richie_s999 04-17-2009 10:15 AM

aftermarket stereo install???? most common place for things to go wrong with battery drain

djcontra 04-17-2009 10:20 AM

I am having this problem on my e36 since it sat for a year. Before tracing all your wires and ripping apart the stereo take a wire brush or rough sandpaper to your battery terminals and clamps. Really rough them up until shiny then try again, then rinse everything with some baking soda and water mixture. I did this on mine last night and have been letting it charge overnight. I'm hoping in a few minutes my issue will be solved :)

Some dielectric grease on the terminals is also a good idea...

DriveItSideways 04-17-2009 10:42 AM

Its too bad im an asshat, I have lots of advice to give on electrical diagnostics.

Fel 04-17-2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DriveItSideways (Post 1289795)
Its too bad im an asshat, I have lots of advice to give on electrical diagnostics.

That's cool, you have no obligation to do anything to help others.

DriveItSideways 04-17-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fel (Post 1289813)
That's cool, you have no obligation to do anything to help others.

thats right, but I would have helped if you didnt stick your nose out where it didnt belong.

Fel 04-17-2009 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DriveItSideways (Post 1289816)
thats right, but I would have helped if you didnt stick your nose out where it didnt belong.

*sad*

matty.dc 04-17-2009 12:37 PM

Wow are you serious? The guy is obviously in a jam. Help him out.

Bullet Ride 04-17-2009 12:45 PM

Bust out the electrical tester and start checking for current flow on fuses and relays in your fuse box. If you find that there is some current flow you can find out what the fuse or relay provides power to and start inspecting those systems.

Fel 04-17-2009 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan_M5 (Post 1289871)
Bust out the electrical tester and start checking for current flow on fuses and relays in your fuse box. If you find that there is some current flow you can find out what the fuse or relay provides power to and start inspecting those systems.

Yeah, this is what I'm gonna do.... soon as I track down a meter. I'm kind of curious whether my trunk light is staying on or something... but I'm not gonna lock myself in the trunk to find out :)

There are also aftermarket audio components installed, before my ownership, so they may or may not be contributing to the problem. I guess testing which circuit is causing the drain will help me determine where to look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by matty.dc (Post 1289867)
Wow are you serious? The guy is obviously in a jam. Help him out.

Don't mind him, dude... he's srs bsns.

Axxe 04-17-2009 12:51 PM

Get a good quality multimeter, unhook main batter positive lead (use the one on the firewall, closer to fuse box). Set multimeter on ammeter mode, run in series between positive terminal block on firewall and main lead to fuse box. If you have a current flowing you have a drain somewhere, start pulling fuses out of the fuse box until the reading changes, and then investigate that circuit. I had a similar problem, turned out to be the interior constant line (for radio), there was a small cut and corrosion in the wire causing a tiny short to the chassis that didn't draw enough current to blow the fuse but enough to drain the battery overnight.

djcontra 04-17-2009 01:25 PM

Hey just an update on the post I made here earlier.... my e36 starts up and holds charge no problem now since I cleaned the battery terminals. Try it, it might be that easy :)

Fel 04-17-2009 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe (Post 1289877)
Get a good quality multimeter, unhook main batter positive lead (use the one on the firewall, closer to fuse box). Set multimeter on ammeter mode, run in series between positive terminal block on firewall and main lead to fuse box. If you have a current flowing you have a drain somewhere, start pulling fuses out of the fuse box until the reading changes, and then investigate that circuit. I had a similar problem, turned out to be the interior constant line (for radio), there was a small cut and corrosion in the wire causing a tiny short to the chassis that didn't draw enough current to blow the fuse but enough to drain the battery overnight.

Thanks for the info man. You comin out tonight?

Axxe 04-17-2009 05:09 PM

Don't know, working as usual, depends on how early I'm done. No plans for womenz after so I might as well show up at the meet if I'm done. 50/50 chance.

propr'one 04-17-2009 07:09 PM

PM quack. Have him sell you a battery kill switch (they come on new cars). He jewed me for 15$, but he might give it to you for 10$.