PDA

View Full Version : Premium Package

magic
01-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Whats a Premium Package in a 740I. This is a 1998.
Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you

touchofclass
01-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Premium package normally means you get sports seats...and M Parallel rims sometimes. You also need to be very careful in ensuring that all the service records are kept up to date and with a BMW dealer including mileage validation. 7 series can be very expensive to maintain if proper maintenance had not been done.. Enjoy ..
PS if you are looking for 18" original 745i rims with winter tires brand new let me know. I have a set in my garage that has been used once, since my 7 never sees winter. :)
Cheers

magic
01-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks. Does it mean that it has got a sports suspension too?
I prefer the softer ride to the sports hard ride. I am having a look at it next week and would get it checked by a reputable garage if I cannot get it checked by a dealer.
My choice has come down to a Lexus LS400 1995 and a BMW 740 1997-1998. The mileage and price are the same.

Any opinions anyone? Comments would be most helpful.

Thank you

touchofclass
01-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Two different cars...no comparison..it all depends on what you like..7 series .expensive maintenance..and 1997-1998 goes for around $10,000 with anywhere from 120,000kms to 160,000kms most of them are off lease so you should be careful. Lexus not bad for maintenance. I suggest you get the 7 series checked out by Bimmersport ..Charlie will give you an honest opinion and what needs to get done.
Hope that helps.
Cheers

magic
01-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks. Both these cars are in the 210,000 km range. I will get in touch with Charlie then.
Is the ride harder on the BMW with a Sports Package than a LS400?

Seven
01-13-2008, 02:32 AM
Premium package normally means you get sports seats...and M Parallel rims sometimes. ...

The premium package does not include sport seats or m-pars. You are thinking of the sport package which also includes Shadowline trim, Steptronic Transmission, a lower 3.15 final drive ratio (versus 2.92), Vavona redwood interior trim, and depending on year and other packages, a 3 spoke steering wheel. However, I believe the sport package only became available on the 740i in '99 so it's not really a concern here.

The premium package is kinda hard to pin down as each year more options were made standard. Typically the premium package could include things like a navigation system, Xenon headlights, premium audio system, etc. But again, these all became standard as the years went on, so I can't say for sure.

This link helps to see what changes were made each year. http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1995-to-2001-bmw-7-series.htm

Good luck with the purchase ... Go for the bimmer man! You won't be disappointed! :)

slemmer
01-13-2008, 02:55 AM
Love my '00 E38 sport. I was a '94 Lexus ES300 before I went German!

MANDD
01-14-2008, 12:47 PM
+1 "seven" is correct,

The premium package in 98 was Xenon lights DSP audio 16'' cross spoke wheels, heated steering wheel and wood trim variations.

Mark.

The premium package does not include sport seats or m-pars. You are thinking of the sport package which also includes Shadowline trim, Steptronic Transmission, a lower 3.15 final drive ratio (versus 2.92), Vavona redwood interior trim, and depending on year and other packages, a 3 spoke steering wheel. However, I believe the sport package only became available on the 740i in '99 so it's not really a concern here.

The premium package is kinda hard to pin down as each year more options were made standard. Typically the premium package could include things like a navigation system, Xenon headlights, premium audio system, etc. But again, these all became standard as the years went on, so I can't say for sure.

This link helps to see what changes were made each year. http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1995-to-2001-bmw-7-series.htm

Good luck with the purchase ... Go for the bimmer man! You won't be disappointed! :)