PDA

View Full Version : biggest engine?

JanusCarrera
01-08-2008, 08:01 AM
i just recently got my E30, moved up from a civic, and i wanna know the whats the best or biggest engine i can fit in the E30, that is if it is wise to put a faster engine in it or just mod out the stock E30 engine. i'm open to hearing all suggestions.

Chris de la Cruz
01-08-2008, 08:07 AM
v12 m70 do it.

JanusCarrera
01-08-2008, 08:13 AM
nice...nd that will work well with an automatic?

Chris de la Cruz
01-08-2008, 08:20 AM
wtf automatic?

JanusCarrera
01-08-2008, 08:24 AM
yea unfourtunetly the only E30 i could find in a 50mile radius from me that was for sale was this automatic

Chris de la Cruz
01-08-2008, 08:41 AM
noob gtfo

JanusCarrera
01-08-2008, 08:52 AM
yea so i'm a noob...was that an insult? dont forget i said i'm in a way i'm a noob so ur just saying something i said, but anyways really was the best insult you could come up with?

hadesm5
01-08-2008, 09:56 AM
chris despises noobs.

anyway, most people are going to tell you that it is pointless to put anything bigger than a straight 6 like an m20 or m30. why? because anything heavier compromises handling, is too expensive, very hard to do, and doesnt give you THAT much more power anyway.

so i would recommend to stick to the straight sixes: (m50, m52.... if u have the money, s50) and if u really need more power, FI is the way to go.

JanusCarrera
01-08-2008, 10:00 AM
ohh ok..yea i knew money would be out the ass for something bigger but if in the end like u said it may not give much more power nd screw up the handling yea i think i'll stay with the six nd just put some aftermarket power into it..thanks for the tip

1BADRIDE
01-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Drop in an LS1!

BigD
01-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Wrong forum

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=129

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=128

vwcrest
01-08-2008, 11:43 AM
well honestly man..civic i duno about other people but ill say openly im new to this website but not at all to the bmw or cars in general topic....hondas to me have zero respect.not to put you down or anythin but you made a good move up..although automatic..?? hmm sounds like your gonna have to fabricate and if you cant..get it done and convert that thing to a standard..takes some work in a bmw but man you cant be auto..and yea you could go with a v12 since there auto..but for more fun do a 535i v8 standard or just get a bigger inline 6 like a 98 m3 or mid 90's 525 24v motor..stock inline 6 is good in these cars too and has alot of potential if you want it to..cheapest way to go

BigD
01-08-2008, 11:52 AM
What's all the fuss over an automatic? The guy's talking about an ENGINE SWAP. Swapping the pedal cluster and a few other things while you're at it is not a terribly significant overhead. That's if he wants a manual. Many people have swapped in automatic drivetrains.

hondas to me have zero respect.

That's too bad, you could learn a thing or two from them. They actually work on their cars, unlike you Vancouver BMW guys who wouldn't know a wrench from your sister's tit, and end up paying a grand for rear bushings or 10Gs for a ****ing 24v swap. When I was over there and looking to do my swap, the only place I could find to do any work was the garage of my company's CEO (older lady), because none of you monkeys do your own work and hence take it up the ass from the ripoff shops you have there. The only mechanically capable people I met the whole time was at the autocrosses, and they were all JDM guys.

craz azn
01-08-2008, 07:35 PM
chris despises noobs.

anyway, most people are going to tell you that it is pointless to put anything bigger than a straight 6 like an m20 or m30. why? because anything heavier compromises handling, is too expensive, very hard to do, and doesnt give you THAT much more power anyway.

so i would recommend to stick to the straight sixes: (m50, m52.... if u have the money, s50) and if u really need more power, FI is the way to go.

Just to add onto this, its actually a weight gain in any regardless of what motor goes in whether its an m30, s50, or a m70 even.

Keep in mind the worst swaps for weight would probably be a Euro S50 M3 engine, or a S38 M5 engine... keeping the 6 cylinder theme. A V8 or V12 is not that much heavier as you may expect due to the whole engine being made in aluminum rather than the heavy cast iron blocks of the 6 cylinders.

To answer your question exactly, The BIGGEST engine you can put in is the V12 (M70). The BEST is probably dependent on who you ask. My honest opinion in a cost/benefit-for-speed ratio would probably lean towards a US spec e36 M3 engine.

tominizer
01-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Someone is doing the new V10 M5 motor in an E30 M3 rite now in the USA. The E39 M5 motor has been done as well. Pontiac GTO V8, LS1.................. depends on your wallet size.

calegrant
01-08-2008, 09:34 PM
edit for rephrasel to the oblvious new comer

The insult chris had didn't need to be said to be understood by the community here. Noob just happened to be the word used to label you, the insult was that you're asking how to add power, performance to your car without doing any reading but to top it off you want to put an automatic tranny in a street car? I think it's safe to assume with a honda background you're looking to make this a fun car, then why go automatic? If you're any kind of driver that needs more power to have fun then you'd already know a standard is the only way to go. If not, enjoy your car as it is because it's probably more than enough for what you'll ask of it. It's like buying a relatively quick car then putting 20" chrome anchors on it cause it's "cool". Get it now?

tominizer
01-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Paddle shifters on an M5 considered an automatic .............. by definition ?!?!

calegrant
01-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Because comparing an s85 with an SMG III tranny with drivelogic and launch control to a late 80's or even mid 90's basic auto 5spd is realistic.

vwcrest
01-09-2008, 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwcrest
hondas to me have zero respect.

That's too bad, you could learn a thing or two from them. They actually work on their cars, unlike you Vancouver BMW guys who wouldn't know a wrench from your sister's tit, and end up paying a grand for rear bushings or 10Gs for a ****ing 24v swap. When I was over there and looking to do my swap, the only place I could find to do any work was the garage of my company's CEO (older lady), because none of you monkeys do your own work and hence take it up the ass from the ripoff shops you have there. The only mechanically capable people I met the whole time was at the autocrosses, and they were all JDM guys.

this is for you big D
i could learn a few things from hondas? yea your right i could and since i have thats why i no longer help build or build hondas for people because there junk
#2 you should seriously concider thinking before speacking because from the sounds of it your a mechanic? how do u know im not? and i wont possibly through some stuff back in your face..so before you go calling names and tryin to talk people down such as you attempted to there towards me.maybe ask are you even a mechanic?
#3 for your information smart ass just cause its vancouver doesnt mean every single person doesnt know how to do anything
#4 for your information further more ive spent a few years as a lisenced helicopter mechanic and still hold valid licenses
#5 then i moved onto custom fabrication and now make custom turbo maifolds for an american team porsche club.
#6 iv built uncountable number of cars including the 70's 2002 with turbo 325 motors to e30 m3 motors to 98 m3's into e30 to the v12 in a e30 as well and a big list of volkswagen porsches audis.hondas .nissans.
#7 you clearly being a noob in vancouver .you didnt know conections and didnt know where to go to find the right spots.next time contact me and ill hook you up with good places and maybe if your lucky ill show you how to build a bmw and still be humble and not run off pretending to be all cocky on a forum...your sure tough talkin over the page man but its not necesary when you dont know who your talkin to..come into to blitzkrieg next time your hear maybe ill also show you how to build a stage 3 turbo s4 .swapped into a a4..or that 24v swap you talked about.but my price is usualy about 2000$ to 2500$ in and running on the road...

so final if anyones tryin to be a smart ass around here.thats only you man.seriously think about what you say before you run your mouth off.thats not a threat just a friendly suggestion so you dont find yourself suddenly embarresed.

BigD
01-09-2008, 02:05 AM
from the sounds of it your a mechanic? how do u know im not? and i wont possibly through some stuff back in your face...

I'm not, and I could only hope you're not, because you say things so stupid you could only be a highschool kid, and your writing ability depicts someone much younger and/or dumber. An intelligent, educated person would not come off this way even if he tried. So don't worry about me feeling embarassed, I only speak from observation.

vwcrest
01-09-2008, 02:17 AM
I'm not, and I could only hope you're not, because you say things so stupid you could only be a highschool kid, and your writing ability depicts someone much younger and/or dumber. An intelligent, educated person would not come off this way even if he tried. So don't worry about me feeling embarassed, I only speak from observation.

ok so im sure your older then me.yes im over 20 and under 30.although your seriously bein rude making assumptions about people you dont know.and how can i be highschool if ive spent year working at an airport?hmm sounds like your not very intellegent yourself . its nice to see you come out and flex some knowledge thats cool.but you went over the line there .

InfiniteDice
01-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Swaps in a manual, he'll lose around 100lbs right there. That will make up for some of the weight of the larger engine, however the new weight will be more forward, and should be counterbalanced to keep the handling right.

Mike.

maxima_'90
01-11-2008, 07:30 PM
^Re-locate battery. And even if he wants to stick with an auto-box, if he gets it re-built with performance clutches and torque converter it would perform pretty well.

325isStephen
01-11-2008, 08:55 PM
^Re-locate battery. And even if he wants to stick with an auto-box, if he gets it re-built with performance clutches and torque converter it would perform pretty well.

e30's have the battery in the trunk already. I think the guys are trying to say that an automatic to most people isn't fun, and doesn't really fit with a performance based street car, stick is alot more fun to drive, especially with increased power

steve

craz azn
01-11-2008, 11:03 PM
e30's have the battery in the trunk already. I think the guys are trying to say that an automatic to most people isn't fun, and doesn't really fit with a performance based street car, stick is alot more fun to drive, especially with increased power

steve

The OP has a Cabrio. Which has the battery in the front.

325isStephen
01-12-2008, 03:47 PM
oh ok, didn't see it was a cabrio

steve

maxima_'90
01-15-2008, 01:37 AM

steve

I know stick is more fun, I'll never drive an automagic again. I'm just saying it's an option.

AceOfSpades
01-15-2008, 02:22 AM
570 crate engine or 528 crate hemi....doet!