PDA

View Full Version : tire suggestions

Schnell
02-10-2002, 07:42 PM
I'm gonna have to get new tires in a week or so because one of my p7000s had a chunk of metal in the side wall and is unsafe to drive on. Fortunately they are about worn out anyway. The size is 205-55-16 and I have been looking at the p7000s again, Kuhmo Ecstas, an Yoko A520s or AVS dBs. I am hoping to keep it around $100 a tire. The other option I have is to try to sell my 16s and get 17 or 18 inchers.

Opinions Pleez!

Bliss
02-10-2002, 11:32 PM
I had the P7000's on my E36 and i actually liked them. I know that there are ALOT of people that would disagree with me on that one, but hey. I also had a brand new P7000 tire with a sidewall hole and the tire is still sitting in my basement(to sad to get rid of it:( ) Also if you're going for a yokohama tire, its most likely really soft since most yokes are, which means less life to the tire. I heard good stuff about the kuhmos though, but don't have first hand experience soo....i would just get another P7000 if you want to save some money or go all out and go for 18"*th-up*

Schnell
02-11-2002, 01:33 PM
Thanks guys, I actually had the supersports and am leaning towards the regular p7000s. I liked them alot, although anything is beter than my old Michelin TRXs.

theblue
02-11-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Schnell
Thanks guys, I actually had the supersports and am leaning towards the regular p7000s. I liked them alot, although anything is beter than my old Michelin TRXs.
do you have any picture of your car? I almost got a 533i and I really liked it but it had over 225K miles on it so I was afraid that it would cost too much to maintain. I am using bridgestone potenza RE950 as an agressive winter tire that is better than most summer tires. I really like them and highly recommend them for people who use the same tires year round. On my summer rims i'm going with kumbo 712s because you just can't beat the value.

Schnell
02-11-2002, 04:35 PM
Being as I am without scanner or digital camera, I son't have any pictures of my car, although I am going ot try to get some taken later this week after I am done with my physics exam Wed.

As for the car, I love it. My family has always had BMWs, curremtly we have a 95 530i, a 93 525i touring, my 533i, and the toy car, a 73 Triumph tr6. My car has had very few problems. Lately I've just had little thigs go wrong, like my glovebox latch broke and the light over my speedo went out (not important anyway!). The car has been in my family since about 70k and it now has 165k. The only major problems have been front end work to aleviate the infamous shimmy and some recent rear-end work. W've never even put a clutch in it!

330DTM
02-11-2002, 07:41 PM
The Toyo T1-S's are a nice tire. I have them on my Volvo Wagon. dont' ask. hehehe

They're quiet. Quieter than my friends Michelin Pilot Sport on his GTI VR6 Generation IV.

Grip is good enough for me since I don't track that car. Yea, these tires cost cheaper than my OEM Michelin Pilot MXM or something like that. I believe my Proxes T1-S's cost cheaper than the Michlin Pilot Sports back in the days when i got a quote from Steelcase Tires and Mags. Not to mention, they handle well in the wet. Something that I shouldn't of done during a family vacation, I was lucky that these tires did not hydro plane when I was cornering too quickly on this hwy ramp :)

I'm probably gonna try the Kumho's once's these T1-S's wear out. I heard the Kumho's have a longer treadlife, but the grip isn't as good. But I'm sure I will be happy with the Kumho's. HO HO

Sorry for going off-topic, just had to share some T1-S experience.

AzN_E46
02-11-2002, 08:41 PM
cum-ho tires:D :D just never get continental's....they suck sh*t

im not sure wat to suggest.......

330DTM
02-11-2002, 10:52 PM
Is the Dunlop SP8000's.

My A4 friend has had it on his car since he bought it, year 1998. He tracked it two sessions has about 30k's on them. He said those tires lasted him so long. HE tried cornering really hard and they never seemed to give up.
Only when he took it to the track, did the edges start showing some baldness (year 2001). He even drove his car in the snow w/the worn out summer tires LOL.. Well there's still surprisingly tread in the centre but the edges are showing some baldness.
I don't know how well it performs on the wet, but he said they seem to last him quite a long time.