PDA

View Full Version : My 2.7I engine swap...

craz azn
12-14-2007, 11:44 PM
So as many of you know, I spun a rod bearing early in the year, rendering me somewhat useless for majority of the bulk of this seasons track and autoX events with my car. Well heres the replacement you all know and have seen at the meets, last couple autoXs this year... (why does it sound like a V8??!)

It went in pieces, slowly, as it had been in the process since late '06. The build had to be be sped up after the rod knocking got worse and worse throughout the summer. I had to forfeit a couple autoXs because of it *shiner* Luckily Chris let me borrow his car for one of those times (thanks bro!) The actual swap happened in mid August '07. I had to hurry to break it in to go to a lapping day I had already prepaid for at Cayuga, unfortunately at the time I only had my stock exhaust on (no headers*sad* ) and still kept up to a stock OBDII e36 M3 w/passenger.

My car now (w/header, and still awaiting for final chip tuning) can hang with a stock very healthy OBDI e36 M3 car to car, from 50 up to 220km (Although the m3 is ahead by almost a car length at 220... I'm still working on it to get even lol).

Some random pics of the build I found while kicking the comp tonite...

craz azn
12-14-2007, 11:46 PM
If any of you wonder why I drive like a newbie now, its because of this.

Custom Eurodrive-made clutch. Stronger pressure plate, and a 4 puck unsprung race clutch. I am still at war with myself if I should take it out as it is really annoying. Oh and the lightened 12 pound flywheel also... *wave*

craz azn
12-14-2007, 11:50 PM
Alrrriiiggggggggggghhhttt a completed head whooowoooo!!!1

Adjustable cam gear, Shrick 292.... mild and I stress MILD porting (I don't believe in port and polish) It was ported around the valve guide, and not really much else. its still bumpy in the port if you are wondering. For the time and effort, I really don't think its worth the difference.

The cam is going to be changed shortly. I do like its aggressive sound, however it is causing a couple driveablility issues... unless I got ITBs... hmmm hello bank?? Oh whats that? $0? Damn.. too bad.

Oh and when the cam gets changed, I am getting billet rockers too.. I WILL HIT 7500!!! lol enuf sissy 7k crap...

e30_kid89
12-14-2007, 11:51 PM
Mmmmmmm build pictures.....*mw*

I need to do some since as of now...I have nothing to show what i've doing and have done:D

craz azn
12-14-2007, 11:52 PM
The day of the swap starts... :cool:

craz azn
12-14-2007, 11:53 PM
Starting to come apart... damn I got 20mins without swearing at something.. a record for me... which then went downhill for the next couple days :huh?: *thmbsdwn*

craz azn
12-14-2007, 11:54 PM
Next morning Engine OUT!!!

craz azn
12-14-2007, 11:55 PM
After a nice rinse... we are sparkling clean!!

craz azn
12-14-2007, 11:56 PM
Waiting...

craz azn
12-14-2007, 11:57 PM
Still waiting...

craz azn
12-14-2007, 11:58 PM
Finally at like nearly 8.30, the engine meets its new home.

craz azn
12-15-2007, 12:06 AM
For the next day and a bit, its hooking everything up, slacking off for half a day, ya know...

It took a long time, cranking and cranking AND cranking... finally the engine started. I guess the cam and the computer had a fun time agreeing with else other on when to start. A minute later of running and a GIANT oil puddle on the floor. Oh ****. Roll the car back inside and onto the hoist. It quickly became apparent why the block was a warrenty block of Beach Auto. The plug for the oil gallery underneath the water pump was a leaker, and guess what? Well, after taking the water pump off I dont know how many times, and that damn tensioner spring popping out, we finally got everything together... no gaskets *cough WHAT** and plugged, no leaking, I was on my way back to the city for another week of the dreaded weekly grind of working at the stealership. The car had a small oil leak on the way down to the city, which next morning became apparent that the cam cover needed another snugging of the bolts, I guess the gasket settling and a new oil cap... Now at 12 thousand kms to date, running great (mechanically)... but now I think I need a new fuel pump (as of the last couple weeks)... and need to rethink the injectors... maybe a adj. fuel pressure regulator will help...

Thats all folks!

e30_kid89
12-15-2007, 12:07 AM
This thread needs videos with straight exhaust.*wave*

craz azn
12-15-2007, 12:09 AM
Agreed! Anyone got a camera??

T.Dot_E30
12-15-2007, 12:40 AM
Awsome build man.

Agreed! Anyone got a camera??

Yes let me know when, jus say the word! :cool:

Gleb
12-15-2007, 01:46 AM
Now you need my cage!

BigD
12-15-2007, 02:09 AM
So disappointed to see that Marcus Glarner does engine swaps like us mortals. I always figured he did it through osmosis or something.

Mystikal
12-15-2007, 11:05 AM
My car now (w/header, and still awaiting for final chip tuning) can hang with a stock very healthy OBDI e36 M3 car to car, from 50 up to 220km (Although the m3 is ahead by almost a car length at 220... I'm still working on it to get even lol).

It's true, Rudy's car is shockingly fast for an M20. I love your swap and while it's too fuh raze for me, I really commend all the work you guys put into it (and the results!).

But, your fight just got more difficult. My new Vanos unit came in yesterday, I think a re-"testing" is in order. *rockout*

Jay

DriveItSideways
12-15-2007, 11:14 AM
It's true, Rudy's car is shockingly fast for an M20. I love your swap and while it's too fuh raze for me, I really commend all the work you guys put into it (and the results!).

But, your fight just got more difficult. My new Vanos unit came in yesterday, I think a re-"testing" is in order. *rockout*

Jay

Call me out when you guys go for a test so we can have a euro/jap show down :P

craz azn
12-15-2007, 11:01 PM
Now you need my cage!

I working on it... *wave*

So disappointed to see that Marcus Glarner does engine swaps like us mortals. I always figured he did it through osmosis or something.

lol. Hes gotta have some excuse for taking a long time on all those projects and work hes up to his neck in :D

Chris de la Cruz
12-16-2007, 02:04 AM
meh...

ps. I hate your clutch. :D