PDA

View Full Version : oil help plz

El Gato Liso
12-12-2007, 04:36 PM
hey

while driving home from crabby joes last night my engine oil light came on, on the check button thing about the rear view mirror

well i was assuming oil level is getting low because well...when the washer fluid level is low the red light comes on for it, so i thought same principle for the oil too

well i just put a quart in and i redlined second gear to build up the oil pressure, and the light is still on...

is that a bad thing?
i dont knw how to go about the engine oil light being on except for not driving the car...?

help and thanks!

supernaught
12-12-2007, 05:28 PM
its a level sensor that lights that up. based on dipstick do you have enough oil?
Yes - check wiring to sensor, use your manual
No - add more oil
do you leave little puddles everywhere you go?
Usually when that light comes on you need more than a quart.
now might be time for an oil change.

T.Dot_E30
12-12-2007, 05:35 PM
It doesn't have anything to do with oil pressure, that light is on the dash and if that light ever comes on turn the car off immediately, results can be fatal.

The oil light on the obc however indicates the oil level is at the low mark on the dipstick. Takes about 1L to fill from that line.

Fill it up, but the light will now go off right away. After filling up the oil you have to start the car, then turn the ignition off completely for a few minutes and when you put the key back in the sensor reads the oil level again (it should have settled by now) then the light should be off.

Mystikal
12-12-2007, 09:17 PM
You don't have to wait a few minutes, it's an immediate re-check when you pull the key and reinsert it.

I'm an oil-burning/leaking/evaporating hero.

Jay

El Gato Liso
12-12-2007, 11:41 PM
well
when i turned my car on the second time the light was off.

i is happy :)