PDA

View Full Version : Heater fan gone?

Whip_lash
12-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Hi, in the last couple months whenever i turn on the heater it would start to make squeeky noises like it wasnt lubed up or somthing. It would come and go away, it was the worst on level 1 and as i went up higher to 4 it was gone. So yesterday i turn it on and it starts to make squeeky noises and usual at level 2 and then all of a sudden it made a loud squeeky noise and bam it stopped working. Now barely any air comes out on level 1 - 3 but when i put it on 4 and works full blast.

I have a 90 325is and also the coolant has been leaking a little bit over the last 2 months. My coolant check light comes on sometimes if i leave the car outside when its really cold.

Would really apprciate any insight as to how big of job this is to fix. Thanks!

Whip_lash
12-06-2007, 11:20 AM
ok i just found out that its probably the resistor and it also might be the switch itself, now how to go about replacing one of these....

T.Dot_E30
12-06-2007, 12:02 PM
If the blower still works on the highest setting then its probably the resistor.
If it doesn't work at all, first check your fuses, then have a closer look at the blower from the engine compartment.

Coolant leak, depends on where the leak is coming from, Duh. It could be anything from the headgasket to a hose.

Eurostyle
12-06-2007, 12:20 PM
When the heater makes noise, its most likely to be the blower motor itself...I might still have one...

Mavrick
12-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Sounds like a resistor. The squeeking is the motor though.

supernaught
12-07-2007, 08:32 AM
if you take the cover off the motor, you can see the resistors and the motor. Pull out the resistors and give them a good cleaning with some fine sandpaper or a fine file. Spind the motor by hand. It should spin freely. If it takes some effort, or you can feel any slop or play in the bearings, it will be time to replace the motor. I havent tried to lube the fan motor but if the bearing is gone, theres not much to do, plus you can get a blower pretty cheap.

Whip_lash
12-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the help guys, ive been busy the last 2 days so im gonna give it a shot tomorrow and see what happens. Eurostyle ill let you know if i need a new blower motor.

Whip_lash
12-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Wierdest thing just happend today... i was driving and had the fan on level 2 and it just randomly kicked it but the squeeky noise is still there when i turn it off and on, so yea i think that supernaught is right... i probably need to just give it a good cleaning. Well at least till the whole blower motor goes.