PDA

View Full Version : How to reset everything related to electrical?

summit425
12-01-2007, 08:14 PM
1. My DICE (ipod) stop working. Normally I get 3 options. a)radio b) CD player c) DICE. Now I only get 2 options Radio and CD.

2. I can unlock my car with my remote but can't lock.

3. I can't re-program my key. I think my car doesn't recognize "lock" button. So I have to lock my car old fashion way.

Is there anyway I can reset the car???

Take out the battery might help??

I know it is really weird and I never had this problem before.

Someone please help.

summit425
12-04-2007, 02:41 AM
alright. I fixed all.

no.1 : I disconnect the battery and it worked

no.2 : key battery was low after I change the battery it worked

no.3 : same as no.2

sreeja
12-07-2007, 01:18 AM
I think disconnect the battery will help you to reset all connections.*th-up*

summit425
12-07-2007, 03:09 AM
I think disconnect the battery will help you to reset all connections.*th-up*

lol yeah but make sure you don't close your trunk after disconnect the battery.

I closed mine and I had to call CAA for power to open the trunk......... *sad*

Quack
12-07-2007, 07:53 AM
why didn't you just use the key to open the trunk instead of calling CAA

325isRED
12-08-2007, 12:25 PM
^^^ subscribing...

summit425
12-09-2007, 02:10 AM
key didn't work at all!

Once car battery is disconnected your car is dead!!

all the electrical things shut down. Of course I tried all before I call CAA.

Anyway I have 3 more service call left... till next may.

Quack
12-09-2007, 02:31 AM
am I missing something here? doesn't your trunk have a key hole, you can open the trunk with the mech key even without power, I done it many times with my E39, battery disconnected & I can still get in the trunk with the mech key, if it doesn't work, maybe something is broken with your trunk lock.

summit425
12-09-2007, 04:16 PM
am I missing something here? doesn't your trunk have a key hole, you can open the trunk with the mech key even without power, I done it many times with my E39, battery disconnected & I can still get in the trunk with the mech key, if it doesn't work, maybe something is broken with your trunk lock.

I know there is a key hole but that won't help you.

Trust me you can't open e46 trunk without any power supply.

Quack
12-09-2007, 05:19 PM
that's the stupidest thing I ever heard, why would they make it impossible to open the trunk when the battery is dead, how do they expect you to change the battery if you can't open the trunk, I work at MB, all MB cars you can open the trunk with the mech key even if the battery is disconnected, most BMW's I've seen is also the same.

most likely you aren't opening it correctly, like turning the key to the left or something is broken in your trunk latch assemby or the lock itself.

EDIT: seems like this guy had the same question http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?referrerid=50100&t=430557

summit425
12-09-2007, 05:49 PM
that's the stupidest thing I ever heard, why would they make it impossible to open the trunk when the battery is dead, how do they expect you to change the battery if you can't open the trunk, I work at MB, all MB cars you can open the trunk with the mech key even if the battery is disconnected, most BMW's I've seen is also the same.

most likely you aren't opening it correctly, like turning the key to the left or something is broken in your trunk latch assemby or the lock itself.

EDIT: seems like this guy had the same question http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?referrerid=50100&t=430557

battery dead is not same as disconnected the battery.

Usually battery dead refers to you don't have enough power to start your engine. But you are able to turn on your head light audio units and of course you are able to turn on reading light too.

Disconnected battery means you don't have any power. I mean your remote lock system will not work! So I had to open my driver side manually. (insert the key) Not even a single light bulb will turn on.

Also when my battery was connected I feel like I am pressing a button located trunk knob when I try to open my trunk without using a remote.

Trust me I feel like you want to turn on battery operated flash light without a battery.

I also thought even I disconnect the battery there will be some energy source saved in the car but the fact is without battery connect you are not able to use any power. (not even a power to turn one light bulb)

Quack
12-10-2007, 02:02 AM
I don't understand what you are trying to explain to me, I work on cars everyday, I replaced many dead batteries, these batteries are completely dead, no lights, no remote locks, I used the mech key & got into the trunk.

I disconnected my battery because I was gone for a week, no power at all, all doors locked, I use the mech key & opened the trunk so I can reconnect the battery.

dead battery or disconnected you should still be able to get in your trunk with the mech key, the key tumbler is connected to a rod that mechanically unlatches the trunk, if that isn't working it's because something is broken.

here is a pic to explain what I'm talking about.
the connecting rod #12 is connected to your lock tumbler #9, when you use the mech key it moves the rod to open the trunk, also notice the connecting rod #12 connects to rod #27 which is the emergancy trunk release from inside the trunk, both those two opens your trunk mechanically, no power involved.

summit425
12-10-2007, 02:29 AM
so you are saying I can open it with my key? (not remote)

I always press button right under the trunk knob.

So without using trunk knob I can open my turnk with my key inserted and turn?

If that is what you are trying to say.. I didn't try that.

The only time I use my key to the trunk is to turn 90 degree so I can lock them completly. (Now trunk will only open when remote is used unless I turn 90 degree back)

I don't understand what you are trying to explain to me, I work on cars everyday, I replaced many dead batteries, these batteries are completely dead, no lights, no remote locks, I used the mech key & got into the trunk.

I disconnected my battery because I was gone for a week, no power at all, all doors locked, I use the mech key & opened the trunk so I can reconnect the battery.

dead battery or disconnected you should still be able to get in your trunk with the mech key, the key tumbler is connected to a rod that mechanically unlatches the trunk, if that isn't working it's because something is broken.

here is a pic to explain what I'm talking about.
the connecting rod #12 is connected to your lock tumbler #9, when you use the mech key it moves the rod to open the trunk, also notice the connecting rod #12 connects to rod #27 which is the emergancy trunk release from inside the trunk, both those two opens your trunk mechanically, no power involved.

Quack
12-10-2007, 07:31 AM
yes I mentioned that earlier in this thread, if you turn the key left instead of right it should pop the trunk open, if it doesn't it means something is probably broken.

summit425
12-10-2007, 04:37 PM
yes I mentioned that earlier in this thread, if you turn the key left instead of right it should pop the trunk open, if it doesn't it means something is probably broken.

alright :) I learned something today

thanks for your time *th-up*

Mystikal
12-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Hahaha this whole thread made me happy, then right here...

So without using trunk knob I can open my turnk with my key inserted and turn?

If that is what you are trying to say.. I didn't try that.

...I almost passed out laughing. *shiner*

Jay

Quack
12-10-2007, 06:51 PM
I was just trying to give him a hand so he won't have to call CAA next time, didn't think it would take 2 days to explain:D