PDA

View Full Version : changing the timing belt

ruthmann88
11-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Hey guys,
I'm well overdue on changing my e30 timing belt. Just wondering if you guys would recommend diy or getting a mechanic to do it. I've never changed a belt before but have done other basic maintenance.
I've read alot of DIY guides online and it seems realtively easy, I just dont want to mess anything up. Also is there any special tools I will probably need? And how much time should it take me?

Thanks

Oyster
11-30-2007, 03:19 PM
make sure your are at TDC or that nothing moves when you take out or put it back

Kirk930
11-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Timely (pun intended) post.

I will be changing the belt/water pump, coolant, etc. as soon as my parts arrive from Pelican.

I'll probably do an ignition tune-up at the same time.

RobY330i
11-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Having perform one under the supervision of a BMW mechanic, it's tedious work. Expect to double the amount of time to get it done right. 4-5 hours.
Toughest part was slipping the new belt on.

Would I do it again? Would I rather keep $500 in my pocket?

You bet I would.

Don't forget to change the accessory belts and the tensioner while you're there.

Kirk930
11-30-2007, 04:24 PM
I ordered the "Super Kit" from Pelican...........looks like everything is included.

i.e. timing belt, tensioner, gaskets, o-rings, rad hoses, water pump, thermostat, guide pin & spring, crank & cam seals, rad mounts, fan clutch wrench..........the whole 9 yards

Ej_Red
12-01-2007, 12:59 AM
It's not that hard, who cares if anything moves... That's what the timing marks are for.
It took us about 5 hours with lots of beers to finish the job )))

klm325ix
12-01-2007, 06:58 AM
I recently changed my timing belt and rebuilt the cyclinder hear too. Its a pretty tough job. Having the right tools is important. If I remember correctly, the crank bolt need approx 300 ft-lbs of force to tighten it down. Imagine opening it after all these years. Aligning the crank shaft and cam shaft should be no problem. There are alignment marks. just make sure you dont put on the belt tensioner before you do this.

Other than that, the sooner you do it the better.

ZiMMie
12-01-2007, 08:26 AM
I recently changed my timing belt and rebuilt the cyclinder hear too. Its a pretty tough job. Having the right tools is important. If I remember correctly, the crank bolt need approx 300 ft-lbs of force to tighten it down. Imagine opening it after all these years. Aligning the crank shaft and cam shaft should be no problem. There are alignment marks. just make sure you dont put on the belt tensioner before you do this.

Other than that, the sooner you do it the better.

u dont need to take the crank bolt.
jst the 6 13MM bolts.

BigD
12-01-2007, 08:47 AM
It's really not that big a deal. Like Zimmie said, no need to remove the hub. If you remove the pulley/balancer (by removing the 6 bolts), there's plenty of room to get the belt in and out of there. You just have to make sure you get it through there last when taking it off, and first when putting it on (the belt isn't elastic or terribly flexible so you need a lot of slack to sneak it through the crack under the crank hub).

In fact, the only bitch for me was removing the balancer/pulley. They are rusted on there pretty good, and machined extremely precisely so it really feels like they're part of the crank hub, that there's no ****ing way it'll come off. I almost gave up on it, then I looked it up on the ETK that it was indeed a separate part, and just went to hammer harder (you need a HEAVY rubber mallet and a lot of faith to swing away). Just make sure you put something underneath, like a socket set case, cause it will come flying off and can damage the balancer and/or pulley.

klm325ix
12-03-2007, 06:48 PM
oh. I forgot that there are two types of hubs. I had to remove mine.

BigD
12-04-2007, 12:02 AM
oh. I forgot that there are two types of hubs. I had to remove mine.

No you didn't. There are two types of balancers, one for the earlier cars which are smooth and one for the later, with timing teeth (the earlier cars picked it up from the flywheel). Both types bolt to the hub.

klm325ix
12-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Trust me. I had too. If not, i better go see a damn eye doctor and soon.