PDA

View Full Version : fan alternates off and on

ruthmann88
11-28-2007, 10:14 AM
fan sometimes won't kick in, , if i hit my dash or just naturally it will come back. Any suggestions?

supernaught
11-28-2007, 12:20 PM
all speeds behave the same? If you switch it to 3 it won't come on right away? What about 4?
check the 12V to the switch(ref your manual)
12V goes to the switch in your dash, then through settings 1-3 to the resistor unit on the bottom of the fan motor. speed 4 is 12V direct to the motor. Check your fuse as well(#20?)
There is a chance you have a bad ground on your motor too. To check this, open the cover and remove the wire on the ground pin. attach a wire(alligator clips on both ends works well) to a secure ground(bare metal in the engine - hood hinge, etc. - scrape a clean spot for good contact)
try to turn on the fan, if it works now, bad ground, you may only have to clean the original grounding contacts properly.

ruthmann88
11-28-2007, 12:42 PM
ahh thanks something just clicked in.
A while back the fuse blew and it litterally melted a bit of the plastic in the fuse box. I managed to get a new fuse in but its pretty messed up. Thats probably the problem. Is it alot of work to swap in a new fuse box?

BTW: All speeds. The fan would just litterally shut off.