PDA

View Full Version : heater core re-re

racing_trend
11-27-2007, 08:34 PM
hey guys my heater just popped couldnt have come at a worse time lol i have a couple questions when i checked part listing they said they were two types aluminum vents and plastic does that mean the vents on the core are either or cause mines a 87 324E automatic and im sure its black plastic on mines, also to do the core is self im assuming the whole dashboard must be removed? and methods or tips on this guys any help would be appreciated thanks

e30jones
11-27-2007, 10:45 PM
First of all, your heater popped? You mean you have coolant on the floor in the car? First, check to see that its not your heater valve that's leaking. (Comes from the firewall to the heater core) There are o-rings that seal it to the core, they get old and leak. Its a fairly common problem....

If it is the core itself...

aluminum or plastic refers to the heater control valve on the side of the core. IIRC, the plastic is only on the cars without a/c. The plastic valve heater cores have a different in and out flange (and both tubes are plastic), aluminum ones the in/out flange is in the same spot (and one tube is aluminum). The aluminum valve heater cores can be removed fairly easily.

Remove the console etc.
Put a bag down(or something to protect your carpet, you will spill coolant)
Remove the heater valve
There is a duct that connects to the floor heat going to the back seat, remove this. Then remove the two phillips screws holding in the core, and pull it out into the driver's footwell. Try to keep it tipped up so that you don't spill too much....

For reinstallation, basically the same, but you'll probably want to pick up a couple new o-rings for the heater valve connections.

IF you have a plastic valve core, good luck. (I have one in one of my cars) As far as I can tell, the dash has to come out since the heater box is closer to the firewall, and the core hits the steering column before it'll slide all the way out.

racing_trend
11-29-2007, 12:28 AM
im preaty sure its the core cause a few days ago i was at a light and taking off hard and all of a sudden coolantish vapours pour'd outta the vents like my whole cabin was fogg'd up with smoke and residue on all the glass. Then the heater core return lines which flow ontop the tranny underneath the car was pissing out coolant like faster then i could add it, i called charlie from bimmersport and we came to the conclusion its the heater core due to these symptoms. just to recap my car is an 87 325E 2.7 auto with A/C, so i take it mines the alluminum vent unit right? and to replace this core i dont have to remove the complete dash only the center console where the shifter is and i can access everything from underneath the dash correct? all ur help has been great so far guys keep it up thanks!

March

Ej_Red
12-01-2007, 01:06 AM
Ok dude, first of all BMW had a safety recall for this issue. The heater core would get too hot and hoses would crack. Number one thing to do is to call your local bmw dealership, give them your vin and they will check it for you i the recall regarding cooling system was done or not. If not, it's their responsibility to fix it as it's a safety recall.

P.S there was also a fuel feed line recall for the e30s. Get that checked as well.
Whatever you do don't spend the money yet. Call BMW first if the recall wasn't done they will fix it for free.

e30jones
12-01-2007, 12:46 PM
The recall was to install a thermostat and bypass hose to stop super heated coolant from entering the heater core in the event of an overheat (reducing the possibility of it rupturing and spraying on the driver's leg). If you have that little in-line thermostat in the heater hose right by the firewall, the recall is done. I guess it might be worth a try to call, but I have my doubts about BMW replacing your core for free.....

Ej_Red
12-02-2007, 12:58 AM
I don't think they will have problem as it is a safety issue. You could have seriously injured yourself with hot coolant or get into accident due to visibility issues.

Never hurts to try and insist on replacing it all under the warranty. Best bet is to go there and talk to the service manager that is the case if the recall was not done of course.

racing_trend
12-05-2007, 06:36 PM
i will try and call up bmw for this recal issue anyone have any links for e30 heater core removal procedures?

number-one
04-12-2008, 05:29 AM
Ok dude, first of all BMW had a safety recall for this issue. The heater core would get too hot and hoses would crack. Number one thing to do is to call your local bmw dealership, give them your vin and they will check it for you i the recall regarding cooling system was done or not. If not, it's their responsibility to fix it as it's a safety recall.

P.S there was also a fuel feed line recall for the e30s. Get that checked as well.
Whatever you do don't spend the money yet. Call BMW first if the recall wasn't done they will fix it for free.

.....ssoooo Question here, I have just experienced hot coolant on my right leg as of ....oh 5:00am EST, I found the recall, and exactly as described on the gov't website windows misting up ...reduced visibility ...etc,etc.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/recalls/recall_e.asp?recno=4804&

What do I do now? ...call my local BMW dealer and asked to get this fixed ?

(I'm a student ...broke a$$ student, so really my question IS ...will they fix for free ?)

THANKS in Advance ...!*smoke*

noid
04-12-2008, 08:38 PM
.....ssoooo Question here, I have just experienced hot coolant on my right leg as of ....oh 5:00am EST, I found the recall, and exactly as described on the gov't website windows misting up ...reduced visibility ...etc,etc.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/recalls/recall_e.asp?recno=4804&

What do I do now? ...call my local BMW dealer and asked to get this fixed ?

(I'm a student ...broke a$$ student, so really my question IS ...will they fix for free ?)

THANKS in Advance ...!*smoke*
I had mine done at budds, completely free. But mine hadnt failed yet i did it so it WOULDN'T fail. Call them up and tell them to do it... they have to since its a recall.

e30jones
04-16-2008, 10:50 PM
5 am is far too early, your bimmer did it out of spite :D

Most likely what happened is the o-rings in the valve that go to the core have finally given up after ~20 years causing the leak, and have nothing to do with the recall. Which means that if you take it to BMW, and the recall wasn't done, they will more than likely do the recall for free, and then want to charge you out the a$$ for labour to install a $0.50 o-ring to fix your coolant leak. But a call to the dealer is free, so its a good place to start...