PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Doors & Door Locks ?

papo
11-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Everyone I talked to yesterday had several of the same old problems...Lock frozen so they couldn't get there key in to open the doors....Latches frozen so the doors would not close....Doors frozen so they could not open there doors.

I use Silocone Lube on all my interior door rubber & Liquid Graphite in the locks. For some reason, I always have trouble with the locks, even with the Liquid Graphite in the locksets.

What does everyone else try to avoid these problems......and don't say...walk...LOL*wiggle*

Jim .E.
11-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Ive never had these problems. My Honda 1 your BMW 0 :D j/k

Mikeee46coup
11-23-2007, 11:34 PM
I've gotten stuck inside my POS BMW a few dozen times last winter, not related to winter washing etc...the mofo just won't let me out on a cold day (pull the interior door handle, nothing happens) I heard there was a class action lawsuit in the US (much like the one for E46 subframe tears) that may prompt BMW Canada into action, I still love the car but the little annoyances are driving me nuts!

Gamite
11-23-2007, 11:51 PM
there's a spray you can use that instantly melts the locks. You can probably pick it up at canadian tire. My E34's actually have a little metal door that blocks water out. But the one on my white one is broken, so what I did was pour washer fluid in, and it worked. Just not as fast as that spray.

Mikeee46coup
11-23-2007, 11:56 PM
Ive never had these problems. My Honda 1 your BMW 0 :D j/k

I've owned a Honda Del Sol, Civic SiR and Prelude SH, in terms of reliability and the function of hardware they were flawless, my MB CLK 55 and BMW 323ci have been complete crap compared to the Hondas, really tempted to pick up the new Accord Coupe, but i'd take a "serious bath" on the BMW resale/trade in.

mousecrab
11-24-2007, 12:30 AM
i had lock frozen this morning for my beater. i used a lighter.

thinair
11-24-2007, 11:27 PM
i had lock frozen this morning for my beater. i used a lighter.

I use a lighter too, I heat up the key.

I hear lock de-icing fluid is good at actually washing away the grease inside the lock tumbler.

BlitzSix
11-25-2007, 01:55 AM
I don't understand how everyone gets these problems, I've never in my life ran into this issue on any cars I've driven....

magnus
11-25-2007, 03:26 PM
Pure alcohol unfreezes locks too.
Personally i have a device i bout og EGAY that you stick on the keyhole and warms it up!

papo
11-25-2007, 04:31 PM
My 7 has the winter deal where you lift up on the door handle & it defrost the lockset...but my 5 does not....Lock de-icer seems to be the most suggested fix*rockout*

SeRb
12-05-2007, 01:59 PM
what ever happened to the old get a hair dryer plug in an extension cord and de-ice that sheit OLD SKOOL.. if you're not at home you're out of luck lol

betmen
12-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Keyless?

lvan
12-05-2007, 03:42 PM
No such a problem. The thing is, I cant open my gas lid door. Other than that no issues.

sirex
12-05-2007, 07:34 PM
the one time our door locks froze we were at the mall.. so we went to the shopers drug mart and bought a bottle of alchohl and a cirenge.. Injected the alchohol into the door lock and it worked like magic,

saix
12-05-2007, 08:18 PM
hot water?

TheMadChigga
12-05-2007, 10:14 PM
BMW uses airlock sysem like VW did, so when it freeze, the moisture in the air lock freeze up and they loose pressure or the lock freezes, you can use lithium grease that they sell in Cdn tire and 99% time it won't freeze up anymore, or if you have fold down rear seats, simply go thru the trunk, that's what I did with my VW in winter.

sirex
12-06-2007, 12:27 AM
they dont fold down unless u push the button.

NIMA
12-06-2007, 07:07 AM
I've owned a Honda Del Sol, Civic SiR and Prelude SH, in terms of reliability and the function of hardware they were flawless, my MB CLK 55 and BMW 323ci have been complete crap compared to the Hondas, really tempted to pick up the new Accord Coupe, but i'd take a "serious bath" on the BMW resale/trade in.

I've had the same problem in my 325 Ci..........the door sometimes would open but not close and vice versa. I used grease and silicone spray and the problem is gone.....for now.

BTW, Mikeee46coup, out of curiousity, what are the dealers giving you on a trade in for your car?? I'm thinking of trade as well...

Mikeee46coup
12-06-2007, 07:18 AM
I had a new driverside door latch installed 2 weeks ago, $600 repair but the door lock/latches work as good as new now.

Nima, PM sent bro*th-up*

330DTM
12-06-2007, 09:47 AM
I picked up a small bottle at Shell one time cause I needed it immediately. Upon looking at the contents, I noticed it contains isopropyl alcohol. This is the same stuff that they use as rubbing alcohol that you can get from places like Shoppers.

Manimillion
12-06-2007, 10:29 AM
After you wash your car take a rag and dry all the water around the inside of the door. And your door won't freeze.

My drivers door lock is frozen, so I just use the trunk to unlock the doors :P

Toxic0n
12-06-2007, 10:35 AM
I thought our cars had heated door locks? or is it just the Canadian cold weather package?

vadim321go
12-07-2007, 11:16 AM
i started having these problems when the weather dipped into the -'s, i bought white lithium grease at canadian tire, sprayed it inside the chamber and now i dont have any problems :)

Starski
12-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Be careful with all these chemicals that you install inside your door locks cause they tend to ruine the clear coat on your paint when it dripps happend to me thank god I had my POS winter beeter 99 accord.

Mickey Knox
01-02-2008, 08:07 PM
hot air seems to work, i always can manage to get the doors open somehow, my passanger side lock never seems to freeze go figure but the door not closing drives me crazy, so here is the ultimate tool to carry in your car, just store it out of sight when you are done. its a "slightly" gay item to have sitting on your passenger seat

http://www.nextag.com/12-volt-hair-dryer/search-html

just ordered one for 20 bucks.

Souvrain
01-04-2008, 12:54 PM
park your car in a indo garage my friend ! problem solve

Mickey Knox
01-04-2008, 01:32 PM
park your car in a indo garage my friend ! problem solve

ahh yeah, i have a indoor garage available but choose not to park in it :huh?: :huh?: :huh?:

NOTORIOUS VR
01-04-2008, 01:44 PM
BMW uses airlock sysem like VW did, so when it freeze, the moisture in the air lock freeze up and they loose pressure or the lock freezes, you can use lithium grease that they sell in Cdn tire and 99% time it won't freeze up anymore, or if you have fold down rear seats, simply go thru the trunk, that's what I did with my VW in winter.

I don't know about the E46 and newer cars or the 5 series cars, but the E30's and E36's use electromechanical locks and not vacuum locks like VW/Audi did.

Either way, My VW has the vacuum type locks and I've never had an issue with any of them.

On top of this I could swear the last time I was looking at an E36 wiring diagram that they have heated door locks? I know some E30's did for sure. So I have idea why so many of you are having issues.

Oyster
01-04-2008, 02:01 PM
I don't understand how everyone gets these problems, I've never in my life ran into this issue on any cars I've driven....

because you drive your car on a regular basis. I left my car outside before last snow storm till 2-3 days after it ended. Then cold temperature settled in which froze all my doors except my rear passenger door.

If you open the doors during a storm it should be ok but if you leave it out then you got a big popscicle

NOTORIOUS VR
01-04-2008, 02:23 PM
because you drive your car on a regular basis. I left my car outside before last snow storm till 2-3 days after it ended. Then cold temperature settled in which froze all my doors except my rear passenger door.

If you open the doors during a storm it should be ok but if you leave it out then you got a big popscicle

It still shouldn't happen... The last storm we had I hadn't driven my car for 3ish days prior... and still I was able to unlock my doors and open them. And the last day I did drive it is when we had ice rain.

StikiGreenZ
01-04-2008, 03:14 PM
I dont understand... Even the keyless entry doesnt allow your doors to open?

Nascar318is
01-05-2008, 12:16 AM
On my Honda it's the power windows that freeze. I looked really smart pulling up to the timmies drive thru one morning:(