PDA

View Full Version : Door won't shut closed at low temperatires.

outsider
11-23-2007, 09:55 AM
I've noticed that when the temperature drops a lot, sometimes the door won't latch closed.
Last year I ended up rigging upa couple of bungee cord to keep the door closed while I was driving until the interior warmed up inside enough to loosen things up in the door...

How can I fix this?

El Gato Liso
11-23-2007, 02:51 PM
this happened to me yesterday
i just poured hot water on the lock mechanism
worked like a charm

Mystikal
11-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Last year I ended up rigging upa couple of bungee cord to keep the door closed while I was driving until the interior warmed up inside enough to loosen things up in the door...

Pics or ban.

Jay

oldskool3
11-23-2007, 04:51 PM
this happened to me yesterday
i just poured hot water on the lock mechanism
worked like a charm

Wouldn't your door just refreeze after the water froze?

Blades
11-23-2007, 04:59 PM
I couldnt fill up gas today because my gas lid was frozen shut and clicking on it didnt do shit. I decided to run the car through the car wash (I was late to work and had to do something cuz i was really low on gas) and it worked.

El Gato Liso
11-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Wouldn't your door just refreeze after the water froze?

thats why we have feet.
and that is also how i broke my car key in 1/2 last night...

papo
11-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Everyone I talked to yesterday had several of the same old problems...Lock frozen so they couldn't get there key in to open the doors....Latches frozen so the doors would not close....Doors frozen so they could not open there doors.

I use Silocone Lube on all my interior door rubber & Liquid Graphite in the locks. For some reason, I always have trouble with the locks, even with the Liquid Graphite in the locksets.

What does everyone else try to avoid these problems......and don't say...walk...LOL*wiggle*

e30jones
11-23-2007, 06:56 PM
...I use Silocone Lube on all my interior door rubber & Liquid Graphite in the locks.

+1

My doors were all frozen shut yesterday, and once I got them open, they remained frozen open. I drove to work with the passenger side held shut with the seatbelt wrapped through the door handle, and held the driver's side shut with an extension cord wrapped through the door handle, and then over my lap, around the e-brake handle (ghetto, I know, but I was already late and only work 5 mins from home).

After work, took a hairdryer to each latch mechanism for ~5 mins, then drowned them in liquid graphite to displace the moisture. Also gave my lock cylinders a good blast too. They all work excellent now.

Chris de la Cruz
11-23-2007, 08:12 PM
i doon't know about you guys but i have this thing called deicer at home.

hadesm5
11-24-2007, 12:09 AM
no one has ever heard of alcohol?

Blades
11-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Best results .. park in the garage. I learned my lesson *shiner*

InfiniteDice
11-25-2007, 01:54 PM
I've lived in northern Quebec for 4 years, temps get below -40 without windchill. for about a week or two. When they frozen I'd use a hairdryer, and graphite lock spray, In the lock, in the latch, and down where the pull up knob is (remove pull up knob then shoot it down there). Usually my locks would be fine after that.

repeat as necessary.

everlast
11-25-2007, 02:47 PM
In case anyone didn't know, e30's have a heater in the drivers door lock. Hold up on the handle with the key in, putting light pressure on turning the key, and it will free up in a matter of 30 seconds.

When my latch froze open I allowed the car to get very, very warm inside (full heat for an hour) and let it idle in my driveway. No problems until the next ice storm.