PDA

View Full Version : Need new low-beam bulb

ara325
11-20-2007, 12:54 PM
Hey guys, i need to replace my pass side low-beam bulb, but can't remember what type it is (H1, H4, 9006???) nor can i find my owner's manual (very odd cuzz i rarely lose stuff).
Anyone know the type? My lights are euro style smileys bought from Germany...if that makes a difference.

Thanks,*th-up*

King Luis
11-20-2007, 12:59 PM
H1 is what you need for the smilieys.
or better yet, pm Prop'r'one (ivan) for a set of HID's.

ara325
11-20-2007, 01:09 PM
H1 is what you need for the smilieys.
or better yet, pm Prop'r'one (ivan) for a set of HID's.

Thanks Luis, i've been tossing the idea of HID's around for a while now, but i don't want to spend any more money on this car than i have to. I'm possibly selling it next summer hoping for an e46 M3...hence, why i'd rather put money towards that for now.

Speaking of efoutrysixemthree's, how do you like yours? That clunking sound you mentioned last week is making me wary of buying one.
Do you have manual or essemmgee?

propr'one
11-20-2007, 01:40 PM
If you have euro slimies/ellipsoids, they're H1. If you have US spec ellipsoids, they're H4.

ara325
11-20-2007, 01:43 PM
If you have euro slimies/ellipsoids, they're H1. If you have US spec ellipsoids, they're H4.

thanks propr'one

T.Dot_E30
11-20-2007, 04:06 PM

Correction, US Spec ellips are 9006. (low beam) 9005 (high beam)

I see HID kits going for $125, i'd say its worth it for a winter of driving. my beater has HID fogs.

Before with seal beams + halogen fogs, I couldn't see shit.

Axxe
11-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Thanks Luis, i've been tossing the idea of HID's around for a while now, but i don't want to spend any more money on this car than i have to. I'm possibly selling it next summer hoping for an e46 M3...hence, why i'd rather put money towards that for now.

Speaking of efoutrysixemthree's, how do you like yours? That clunking sound you mentioned last week is making me wary of buying one.
Do you have manual or essemmgee?

Do the HID's, it's one of those mods that you will absolutely love every time you drive the car. You can always pull them out when selling the car, or keep them in as a selling feature.

King Luis
11-20-2007, 05:23 PM
clunking is basically the slack in the drive train (or what i'm told) and its normal. other wise, its an awesome car. it seems softer/not much of a driver's car compared to the e30 which you feel and hear and smell everything. LOL:D but my oh my , an awesome car.

craz azn
11-20-2007, 11:19 PM
Do the HID's, it's one of those mods that you will absolutely love every time you drive the car. You can always pull them out when selling the car, or keep them in as a selling feature.

Agreed. Its the best upgrade I have ever done to my car. BEST. *rockout*

propr'one
11-21-2007, 01:38 AM
Correction, US Spec ellips are 9006. (low beam) 9005 (high beam)

I see HID kits going for $125, i'd say its worth it for a winter of driving. my beater has HID fogs.

Before with seal beams + halogen fogs, I couldn't see shit.
^^knows way more about e30's than i do, i'm gonna assume he's right.

///Maluco
11-21-2007, 09:12 AM
go HID's....It's one of the best upgrades I've done on my E12...I seldom drove the car after dark, but now....I'll go out at night just cruising.
....and yes I call it an upgrade because once you convert to HID's, you will never look at Halogen lighting the same way again.
Especially during this time of year when it gets dark so early...nothing compares to HID lighting.

I've heard nothing but positive feedback from the kits propr'one sells.
I'd recommend his kits seeing as he always supports his products.

IMO, its money well spent.

Gamite
11-21-2007, 09:18 AM
1 bulb costs what? $25? Depending on brand. If you buy the cheap yellowy ones I think it's $15

anyways, the good bulbs cost something like $25 right? They last about a third the time of an HID bulb right?

So, that's about $75-$100 per bulb X 2 = $150-$200. Which is almost as much as an HID kit.

Plus the HID's are brigher, which is safer for driving at night, and more visible to other drivers (Provided you aren't blinding them)

I think HID's are the best way to go.

Thirdly, you can always swap your Kit into your new car. (HID fogs for your E46 M3 perhaps)

Actually if you're gonna buy a new car next year, then I think I'd just get a $15 bulb. So just disregard everything I just wrote :)

ara325
11-22-2007, 12:39 PM
1 bulb costs what? $25? Depending on brand. If you buy the cheap yellowy ones I think it's $15

anyways, the good bulbs cost something like $25 right? They last about a third the time of an HID bulb right?

So, that's about $75-$100 per bulb X 2 = $150-$200. Which is almost as much as an HID kit.

Plus the HID's are brigher, which is safer for driving at night, and more visible to other drivers (Provided you aren't blinding them)

I think HID's are the best way to go.

Thirdly, you can always swap your Kit into your new car. (HID fogs for your E46 M3 perhaps)

Actually if you're gonna buy a new car next year, then I think I'd just get a $15 bulb. So just disregard everything I just wrote :)

Thanks Julian, but won't converting to HID's cost me more than $150 b/c of the ballast?

Also, I found a 9006 bulb in my "bag of goodies", would anything happen if i use that instead of an H1 bulb?

T.Dot_E30
11-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Also, I found a 9006 bulb in my "bag of goodies", would anything happen if i use that instead of an H1 bulb?

It wouldn't work, first it won't fit in the projector. Secondly the connections are different so you won't be able to plug it in.

Edit: There are a few cheaper kits out there, i saw this one for $125. Beware thou, I can't comment on the quality or the seller.
http://toronto.craigslist.ca/pts/482511175.html

If you want some piece of mind, you can give Prop'one a call.

ara325
11-22-2007, 12:53 PM
It wouldn't work, first it won't fit in the projector. Secondly the connections are different so you won't be able to plug it in.

Edit: There are a few cheaper kits out there, i saw this one for $125. Beware thou, I can't comment on the quality or the seller.
http://toronto.craigslist.ca/pts/482511175.html

If you want some piece of mind, you can give Prop'one a call.

Thanks Trev...i'm glad i asked before i tried it...you saved me from spittin' bullets:D
If i do go HID, i'd rather pay a little more for something better...been around the block and learned the hard way that you typically get what you pay for.

Fhaaaaaaaaaaaaack i want my emmthree fhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

europrince
11-22-2007, 01:03 PM
replace the one bulb. save your money :)

Gamite
11-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Thanks Julian, but won't converting to HID's cost me more than $150 b/c of the ballast?

it's about $200 for a full kit. Which includes both bulbs and ballasts. But if the M3 is aroudn the corner, don't bother.

ara325
11-22-2007, 04:27 PM
it's about $200 for a full kit. Which includes both bulbs and ballasts. But if the M3 is aroudn the corner, don't bother.

wow...i remember when they first were on the market (non OEM) they were like upwards of $1 000...man i love capitalism.:)