PDA

View Full Version : Anyone import a 335 from the states yet? or any NEW car?

2K6E60
11-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Ive read up about it, and being in the transportation industry it wont be much hassle to get it up here.

Now I may just buy a 1 way ticket to Florida and drive it back up here. - i know very few dealers if any will sell me a new car since I am Canadian. However, if i were to have a family member purchase the car for me and transfer it in my name would i be okay?

any input on the down falls to doing this? I know a few things will be required of me such as getting the DRL activated and french air bag stickers etc.

Importing a used car is no problem, im just curious about doing a new car. as you guys know, a well equipped 335i Coupe is around 58-62K CDN. for the same features in the US i am looking at 48K USD. A big savings for me.

I was thinking of a way to lease it, but it will be to much of a headache, I will just buy the car out.

Any input is greatly appreciated

1BADRIDE
11-19-2007, 11:02 PM
Transport Canada is refusing to allow '08s and newer over here, according to a GM Canada representative. '07s are still OK.

X5HogTown
11-19-2007, 11:41 PM
Very few 2008 GMs are allowed according to the www.riv.ca list. I heard this has to do with inadequate anti-theft equipment. Anybody know more about this?

Looks like all 2008 BMWs are now allowed.

2K6E60, you will run up quite a bill after you pay the FL sales tax, duty and the $500 recall letter. Free maintenance will not be honoured and you'll miss out on any special financing offers. The trade-in value, when you decide to sell will also be less than a Canadian car. Make sure you add everything up before proceeding.

Meegis
11-19-2007, 11:42 PM
Um, 08 GM's are not allowed unless pre-Sept 07 build. Or one of the allowables (i.e. Vibe)

Other companies have different rules.

BMW is fine unless your importing a 95 M3 or an 850 (forget which years).

French stickers are only needed if the airbag needs maintenance. So no worries there. Most BMW's now come with DRLs, so again no worries. The speedo DOES indicate KM's, so thats covered.

If you are looking for a BMW down here in FL, I can help you out BIG time, as I am close with some sales guys here.

Let me know exactly what you want, and I can find it for you. Used is purchased for export, new is difficult unless someone here buys it for you.

Anyways, give me the details, Ill help you get what you need. You can ask others on the board about who I am if you dont trust a stranger.

2K6E60
11-19-2007, 11:50 PM
A family friend of ours had mentioned if the car was built within North America (IE: the X3 / X5) Duties will not apply if importing into Canada is this true?

Meegis, my sister is the VP of Bank of America in Broward County, she will purchase the car for me. So this should not be an issue. I will PM you with what i want, if you can give me a rough Idea of what im looking at, that would be really helpful!

Kris

X5HogTown
11-19-2007, 11:52 PM
^ true Z3, Z4, X3 & X5, no duty

Meegis
11-19-2007, 11:54 PM
NAFTA may not apply to vehicles... the gov't is sneaky sometimes.

Dont quote me, Im not committing treason..............................again

Deep 3.2TL
11-20-2007, 12:00 AM
I just bought a Nissan Murano from the US - I had some help as my brother in law is in the business. The VIN started with a J, which meant Japanese built, so we had to pay the 6.1% duty. If it's built in the US, no duty.

Deep

Alaric
11-20-2007, 09:08 PM
Yup, like mentioned above if the VIN number starts with a 1-4 (inclusive) then you will not have to pay duties, because it was manufactured in NA. If it starts with a letter, then you will.

X5HogTown
11-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Yup, like mentioned above if the VIN number starts with a 1-4 (inclusive) then you will not have to pay duties, because it was manufactured in NA. If it starts with a letter, then you will.

I disagree, X5s and M Coupes (2001 at least) start with a W and they were both assembled in the US.

Alaric
11-20-2007, 09:39 PM
I disagree, X5s and M Coupes (2001 at least) start with a W and they were both assembled in the US.

I wasn't aware that was the case, I thought that's how they were seperated:

World Manufacturer’s Identification (WMI)

The first character in the WMI sequence represents the country where the vehicle was manufactured. Countries like the United States (1 or 4), Canada (2) and Mexico (3) are represented by numbers while other countries such as Germany (W), Italy (Z) and Japan (J) are represented by letters.

The second character refers to the manufacturer. The characters can be either letters or numbers. For example: Jaguar (A), Dodge (B), Chrysler (C), Jeep (J), Buick (4), Cadillac (6) or Saturn (8).

The third character represents the vehicle type or manufacturing division.

Taken from: http://www.autoinsurancetips.com/decoding-your-vin

Soldo
11-20-2007, 09:49 PM
I thought BMW and MINI were one of the few manufactures that WERE honoring their warrenty when a new vehicle crosses the border!?

slemmer
11-20-2007, 09:53 PM
I heard that if a resident lives in the US and buys a new car that person can sell it to go over to Canada if the original purchaser holds it for six months.

Deep 3.2TL
11-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Warranty will be honoured - free oil changes, etc won't be.

Deep

X5HogTown
11-20-2007, 10:21 PM
^ and CPO warranties are NOT honoured.

FYI... just saw this on the BMW.ca website...

http://www.bmw.ca/content/preowned/images/en/buy_canadian.pdf

slemmer
11-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Yeah, and the retailers usually sell for $10K+ on top of the black book values. Personally, I found my CPO'd e38 wasn't worth the additional cost and will pay when and if parts fail.

Meegis
11-20-2007, 11:17 PM
I thought CPO crosses borders... at least thats what the dealers have told me in the past. (past = last 2 months)