PDA

View Full Version : How do you speed?

propr'one
11-19-2007, 08:02 PM
First, i'm not condoning speeding.

second, i'm curious, how do you guys speed? You have a system?

I've pretty much been driving like this:

In the city, i generally only go about 10-15 over the limit, but i often charge lights to save time. I dont usually actually run red's (and if i do, its after i stop and inspect the intersection), but at yellows where i could stop, i usually push through. Speeding over 10-15 over just draws too much attention, but rushing intesections does save time.

On the highway, i drive almost exactly 129 or just under. Why? Its a minor speeding ticket, easier to get rid of, and, even if i wouldn't get it handled in court, its much less of a blow to your insurance if you get convicted. Now when i'm driving a stretch of highway i know(401 between london and 416), i'll usually find a group of people going 149. I try to get in the middle of the pack. The thing i pay attention to most on the highway howerever is brake lights infront of me. This makes speeding much easier, as you can see brake lights very clearly infront of you, and if your'e going 149, the cops wont catch up to you from behind, so you only have to look infront of yourself. I also pay special attention to onramps, as if a cop was infront of me, i'd probably see brakelights, but if he's pulling on next to me, and i'm doing 49 over, it wont end well. Only exceptions are, i'll always speeding on a long uphill, and slow down at the very top. This is HORRIBLE for your gas mileage, but there are almost never cops on the tops of hills on a parkway. Also, if i have a radar detector i trust with me, i'll go 149 all the time on the highway. Dont use a radar detector at all in the city.

My system seems to work pretty well, i've gotten one speeding ticket (ignoring my rule about not going more than 15 over, going to go pick up my honda with notjoe, 116 in a 70),

I dont wanna hear you flaming me for driving dangerously or whatever, i'm not saying this is how you should drive.
If you post stupid comments i'll ask a mod to delete them.

BMW_7
11-19-2007, 08:09 PM
I drive once or twice a week now, as you know, because I take the TTC all the time. By the time I do drive, my adrenaline is so pumped that I go cannot restrain myself from going 20 over in the city, weave in an out of traffic and go 160 or so on the highway. I figure the odds are in my favor at that point.

e30_kid89
11-19-2007, 08:30 PM
^^LOL!

Honestly in the city i may go 5 - 10 over tops if i see im' over i usually just go back down to the limit......On the highways since that new law i just don't go past 120, so thats where my cruise or foot is set at once its nice and clear.

Sa///M3
11-19-2007, 09:09 PM
City- ~10-15 over tops
Highway- ~25 over tops

Quack
11-19-2007, 09:23 PM
with the gas pedal......duh:P

dbworld4k
11-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Pedal to the floor foo'!!!

AceOfSpades
11-19-2007, 10:51 PM
city, 55 to 60 but mostly 55. Yes i know that not speeding.
but on the highway, its usually 115km/h (i'm past 3000rpm:( already. cruising past that aint no fun). When i had the auto, it was the same during city driving however it was a phat 140 on highways.

i usually stay behind faster traffic. kinda like drafting in NASCAR lol. Ideally 3rd+ in the row.

BimmerboyPH
11-19-2007, 10:52 PM
I never speed in residential areas, but on all other raods I'll go with the flow or push it a bit. Highways and country backroads, it depends how I feel, and the country roads I know and know theres no cops I'll give her everything shes got!

Jon@Bimmersport
11-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Most baitest thread ever, Id recomend removing your car from your sig.

I dont even speed, 20 over at most...gas prices are a motha****a these days...whats the rush anyways? Just chill, recline back, turn the system up and spark one :P

thinair
11-19-2007, 11:24 PM
There are a lot of variables, I'm normally pretty tame as far as driving on the street, especially if I'm commuting.

In residential areas I DON'T speed at all unless it's really early in the morning, and that's only like 5km/h over, if I see kids at anytime I'll go below the limit, same goes for school zones between 8:00-17:00. Generally around town, if the speed limit is 50, I'll go a hair under 60. If the road's limit is 80 and I'm familiar with it, 90-95, if not, whatever the flow of traffic is. On a highway with a 100 limit, 120-125 or whatever the flow of traffic is. I notice that north of the city on the 400 sometimes the flow of traffic is 140, I'll just blend in.

There are exceptions, but I won't tell you what I do there:
- residential area (preferably new and with unbuilt homes) at 1:00-4:00 in the morning, with 4-10cm of fresh snow, generally the roads are bare.
- Hwy 400 at 2:00-4:00 on a Sunday or Monday morning
- Unpopulated gravel farm roads that I'm familiar with

Meegis
11-19-2007, 11:47 PM
- residential area (preferably new and with unbuilt homes) at 1:00-4:00 in the morning, with 4-10cm of fresh snow, generally the roads are bare.

LoL :D *th-up*

hypno_nls1
11-20-2007, 12:21 AM
i feel bad now, maybe its cuz im young but im usually doing minimum 25 over in cities, maybe my city just has less traffic than yours or maybe you guys have more self restraint:). most probable idea ive only had my car for like 2 weeks so im still breaking her in:)

Meegis
11-20-2007, 12:22 AM
i feel bad now, maybe its cuz im young but im usually doing minimum 25 over in cities, maybe my city just has less traffic than yours or maybe you guys have more self restraint:). most probable idea ive only had my car for like 2 weeks so im still breaking her in:)

Give it time, most young drivers learn the hard way.

I did, although, I wonder if I relly learend :D

craz azn
11-20-2007, 12:37 AM

+1 :D

Axxe
11-20-2007, 12:39 AM
If you right foot isn't matted, you ain't going fast enough.

In all seriousness, I usually drive around 120 on the highway, and max 15 over everywhere else, unless I really really know the area. There are 2 speed trap locations literally 500 m from my parent's house, but once you are clear of those, you can go 50 + and you won't get caught unless the PO coming with donuts catches you. Not that I ever speed on that street, it's suicide.

kidneykill
11-20-2007, 12:39 AM
I try to stay below 120 on the 407...

El Gato Liso
11-20-2007, 02:44 AM
i pop a pill

Gamite
11-20-2007, 03:13 AM
I never speed on residential. 1) there are way too many variables that could happen. Someone could come out of some small street not knowing your rate of speed. 2) There are a billion speed traps.

Highway is a different story. I'm usually just shy of that new rule, with one eye pinned on my rearview mirror. I usually watch for on ramps and the usual spots on DVP.

lvan
11-20-2007, 06:46 AM
In the city , I dont do it. Highway , I keep it under 120.
Dvp, I usualy do 100/110.

StikiGreenZ
11-20-2007, 09:48 AM
Since these new laws kicked in, i'm usually 10-14 km/h over on city streets. I try not to speed in residential areas. As for the highway, I try to keep it under 135 km/h... It's just not worth losing my car over... There are times when I let her stretch her legs (With extreme discretion and fear!!!)

DINAN 3
11-20-2007, 10:40 AM
I dont even speed, 20 over at most...gas prices are a motha****a these days...whats the rush anyways? Just chill, recline back, turn the system up and spark one :P

"Yep" that's me on the way home from the mistress's place.*smoke*
Though on the way there it's petal to the metal.*mw*

DISCLAIMER: The above statement is wishfull thinking. In reality, the only time I whip the horses is when my 2yr old screams "Papa.....GO FAaaST !!!...Papa...fast car !"

Boots R
11-20-2007, 10:57 AM
If the speed limit is 50, i'll go 50. If the limit is 100, i'll go 100. I've learned my lesson.

There are 2 speed trap locations literally 500 m from my parent's house, but once you are clear of those, you can go 50 + and you won't get caught unless the PO coming with donuts catches you. Not that I ever speed on that street, it's suicide.

lol, I got my first speeding ticket there, 2 weeks after I got my g2. Sneaky bastard was hiding right by that cell phone tower.

M3ti Compact
11-20-2007, 11:01 AM
godspeed

Axxe
11-20-2007, 11:03 AM
If the speed limit is 50, i'll go 50. If the limit is 100, i'll go 100. I've learned my lesson.

lol, I got my first speeding ticket there, 2 weeks after I got my g2. Sneaky bastard was hiding right by that cell phone tower.

Yeah, my mom's been caught there once, pulled her over for 17 over and wouldn't reduce.

AMG_POWER
11-20-2007, 11:04 AM
I pretty much know the common police traps and slow down there, other wise i find myself 20 over most of the times. On hwy I usually go from 120 to 140 and trying to stick with cars around me. It was a long time now that I didnt get a ticket! ( i think last one was in 2003 or so)

BigD
11-20-2007, 11:06 AM
On the highway 100-110, on 60-80 zones, +14 (no points, and cops won't touch me anyway) except if the limit is actually reasonable for the street (they are few but they exist). In 50 zone neighborhoods and 40 school zones, speed limit and sometimes slower.

BigD
11-20-2007, 11:10 AM

With the number of overnight traffic fatalities up there, it sounds like you're not the only one with this mindset.

someguy
11-20-2007, 11:19 AM
depends;
in residential areas, i never speed, at all. Depending on the weather I sometimes go under the limit. Pedestrians have no protection so you really gotta think of that. Other than that:

brampton: never more than 5 over.
toronto: 10-ish over. 15-20 on the highway.
ajax/whitby/pickering/oshawa: just below 10 over.

I've picked up these little bits of knowledge from driving just about in every city in southern ontario. So far in my 3 years driving, I have no speeding tickets (just one red light for turning right without a complete stop). **knock on wood**

JunzieB
11-20-2007, 11:34 AM
There are a lot of variables, I'm normally pretty tame as far as driving on the street, especially if I'm commuting.

In residential areas I DON'T speed at all unless it's really early in the morning, and that's only like 5km/h over, if I see kids at anytime I'll go below the limit, same goes for school zones between 8:00-17:00. Generally around town, if the speed limit is 50, I'll go a hair under 60. If the road's limit is 80 and I'm familiar with it, 90-95, if not, whatever the flow of traffic is. On a highway with a 100 limit, 120-125 or whatever the flow of traffic is. I notice that north of the city on the 400 sometimes the flow of traffic is 140, I'll just blend in.

I couldn't agree with you more*th-up*

I think i've learned:D

EMPOWERD
11-20-2007, 12:18 PM
It's all a matter of self restraint... which I have very little of. That's why I've been driving SLOW-ASS daily drivers (smart, VW-Golf diesel). I'm constantly flooring the gas, banging the gears... but never go anywhere (70hp)!! Everyone always asks me why I just don't get a bimmer for a daily. Because i'll loose my license with these new laws. Don't know what'll happen when the GT2 comes out. Probably look for a good lawyer first.

Meegis
11-20-2007, 12:30 PM
It's all a matter of self restraint... which I have very little of. That's why I've been driving SLOW-ASS daily drivers (smart, VW-Golf diesel). I'm constantly flooring the gas, banging the gears... but never go anywhere (70hp)!! Everyone always asks me why I just don't get a bimmer for a daily. Because i'll loose my license with these new laws. Don't know what'll happen when the GT2 comes out. Probably look for a good lawyer first.

hahaha... truth is the devils nectar

Boots R
11-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Yeah, my mom's been caught there once, pulled her over for 17 over and wouldn't reduce.

The cop who always sits there is a real douche about reducing tickets. His name is Ian, and traffic tickets are his life. He wouldn't reduce a ticket for his mother.

Axxe
11-20-2007, 02:03 PM
The cop who always sits there is a real douche about reducing tickets. His name is Ian, and traffic tickets are his life. He wouldn't reduce a ticket for his mother.

Fortunate enough to have never been pulled over there, because I drive 60 through there and wave at the prick waving the radar gun lol. First couple times he looked at me dirty but now he waves back haha. The guy was a real asshole to my mom, apparently he gave her a speech about how dangerous it is to speed on that street because of all the children playing an so on. My mom told him that if her children were playing on the side of Kennedy she would lock them up until they were 18, and anyone who lets young children near a big street like that without supervision should be penalized, not someone who is going a bit over on a stretch of road that has no school on it and is 4 lanes wide. I still see a lot of idiots going 100 + down that stretch, I try to flash them to slow down but they just show me the finger.

98Dinan3
11-20-2007, 06:33 PM
STI Driver FTW... I speed ALL over the place, and really get it up there on the highway. With that said, never in school zones, or heavy traffic... cuz that would just be stupid. It also helps having family on the local force....*th-up*

PS. My flame suit is on.....

thinair
11-20-2007, 06:48 PM
With the number of overnight traffic fatalities up there, it sounds like you're not the only one with this mindset.

Yeah, I blame it on DUI's, sleeping and/or shitty weather, not everyone's supposed similar mindset.

bmwm5lover
11-20-2007, 07:27 PM
I used to be real bad. That is why I racked in 9 points and had to go for my interview. After that, I slowed down a little, not much.
My regular driving (when I drive the T5) I do about 20 over in the city, and 130-149 on the HWY. Late nights, open road, I usually hit about 200ish for a few minutes.

When I drive the Range I do about the speed limit in the city, and about 10-20 over on the HWY in the right most lane.

VSanj
11-20-2007, 07:52 PM
I drive at the same speed as the flow of traffic...........

StikiGreenZ
11-20-2007, 09:07 PM
I drive at the same speed as the flow of traffic...........

What about late at night when there's no one else on the road... what then huh?
:D

BMW_7
11-20-2007, 10:33 PM

Yeah man, knowing you, might as well roll your GT2 in your living room straight from the delivery truck.

I think I will stick with 4 cyl cars too... cheap on gas, cheap on insurance, and makes you think you're going fast while you're really not :) its a win win hahahah

///Milan
11-20-2007, 10:33 PM
51 over... at least.

Meegis
11-20-2007, 11:19 PM
51 over... at least.

Somehow I honestly believe that :rolleyes:

Axxe
11-20-2007, 11:41 PM
Yeah man, knowing you, might as well roll your GT2 in your living room straight from the delivery truck.

I think I will stick with 4 cyl cars too... cheap on gas, cheap on insurance, and makes you think you're going fast while you're really not :) its a win win hahahah

LOL, Honduh FTW. TONS of noise but very little motion.

EMPOWERD
11-21-2007, 01:56 AM
^^^ the last time I owned something that actually went quick (my Honda EGG Wagon) I would literally kiss 200km/h EVERY SINGLE MORNING on the way to work (during 8am rush hour) on the long EB 401 Dixie offramp. Hardly ever anyone on that stretch of road.

When I had my Gixxer1000, I would constantly look for a break in highway traffic big enough for me to wheelie a few gears (usually popping it up around 150km/h). Speed on a fast bike is rediculous.. i could do the following speeds off the rev limiter: 1st gear-144km/h, 2nd gear-196km/h, 3rd gear-245km/h, 4th gear-272km/h etc... You almost have no concept of speed.

People ask me why I sold the bike... because I wanted to live past 33yrs. Too many close calls, plus I finally got nailed and handed a summons to court.

propr'one
11-21-2007, 02:35 AM
51 over... at least.

...except when i hand you the keys to a e63 AMG.

....in which case you're doing 170 over the limit.

....40 seconds after being handed the keys.

(yes, he really did that, yes, he's stupid, no, it wasn't my car, yes, i did it too (obviously once he did it i had to, ****ing peer pressure))

Keep your answers coming guys! I'm surprised more of you dont keep the car pinned at 129 or 149 over. I thought everyone did that, but i guess not!

Randy, how did you finally get caught?

Arash
11-21-2007, 03:35 AM
I piss people off on the highway, they pass me and I follow in their cover, they keep wanting to get away lol :D I never go more than 50 over though, even before the new laws, I got lectured by a cop on this once, I was doing 130 in 50, he gave me ticket for 99 in 50 and then didn't show up in court, good guy!!

Honestly tho, spotting cops/speedtraps/undercovers .... is all just like common sense to me now, I haven't been pulled over for the past 1.5 yr and I drive a really heated car, its all from years of experience! you just need to keep your eyes open, listen to your instincts, and look far and to the right, always keep an eye out for those suspicious domestic with hugee antenas and memorize Impala's and crown vics headlight appearance so you can spot them approaching at night, watch out for the guy in black hiding on the boulvard or on top of the overpass bridge or those reflective stripes at night. Never act suspicious and/or nervous, be very normal and pretend you're completely unaware of their presence, don't turn your head to look in your rearview, use your eyes, if your tails are in the view of the cop, don't use your brakes to slow down, use the gears, if they can't see the tails, you have the opportunity to brake as hard as you can to get to legal speed before you're in their radar range. under no circumstances pass a cop, unless you're driving a minivan or something that doesn't grab attention, always follow couple of cars behind and try to stay out of their view. and remember, the center lane is your friend! last but not least, always be nice to the cop, especially if its an older dude, they very much appreciate it, not so much the young ones. if they're being assholes and want to nail you for things you haven't done, call 911 and say you're being abused by a cop, their supervisor will show up and kick them in the ass, trust me, I've done this! I ended up with a muffler ticket while he had said earlier that I was speeding and made lane change in the middle of intersection BS! *drink*

If you guys have more helpful tips I'd love to hear it :cool:

Eurostyle
11-21-2007, 03:51 AM
In Canada, about 120-140 on the highway...with the car (bikes are another story)...In europe is where i enjoy myself...to the floor all the time! lol Even in a 1.6 elantra, i would go flat out for hours!

propr'one
11-21-2007, 05:21 AM
is bulgaria like ukraine? will 20US get you out of whatever ticket they wanna give you?

JMW
11-21-2007, 01:23 PM
i learned my lessons..i dont speed...put the 4 ways on an drive slow homie

VSanj
11-21-2007, 01:26 PM
What about late at night when there's no one else on the road... what then huh?
:D

Lol.................than i pull over.............and wait!!*rockout*

carscoe
11-21-2007, 04:37 PM
usually about 10-15 over in city...highways i stick to about 119 goin through chatham..and 130 the rest

propr'one
11-21-2007, 04:50 PM
see, 119 doesn't make sense to me. 114 does (no one will give you a ticket for less than 15 over.)

but how did you pick 119?