PDA

View Full Version : Longest Surviving Shadowline

new2bmw
11-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Who has had shadowline last the longest and what steps did you use to do it? I want to do mine but there are many ways to do it here and a lot of people have had trouble with peeling and chipping. The longest i have read of is a year. Thanks guys

Zorin
11-18-2007, 11:28 PM
sand and paint the trim - cheap and easy

Chris de la Cruz
11-19-2007, 12:08 AM
buy it from dealer.

/thread

e30_kid89
11-19-2007, 12:27 AM
Longest Surving Shadowline?

The real one.

/thread:D

Firefighta
11-19-2007, 04:26 AM
There´s no alternative to the real one. You´ll have to watch ebay or something else.

BMW BMXer
11-19-2007, 07:49 AM
^ sick car.

jeremy
11-19-2007, 11:09 AM
sand and paint the trim - cheap and easy

the chrome trim doesn't hold paint well..

get the stuff off a 318is.. best way to go *th-up*

Zorin
11-19-2007, 11:14 AM
The strips are alu with chrome coating - sand the coating off - strips will have some light bronze to them - clean with thinner - apply primer for chrome surfaces and then paint followed by clearcoat - will last years and years. Same trick is done on older bikes.

jeremy
11-19-2007, 12:29 PM
The strips are alu with chrome coating - sand the coating off - strips will have some light bronze to them - clean with thinner - apply primer for chrome surfaces and then paint followed by clearcoat - will last years and years. Same trick is done on older bikes.

in my experience, chrome plating doesn't come off all that well.. there are some specific steps to getting good adhesion..

sand
alum. metal prep
vinyl wash primer
prime
then paint

but now there are some better products on the market to cut some of these steps out...like dupont DTM primer that allows you to skip the alum. metal prep and vinyl wash primer..

if you just sand, clean and use over the counter spray paint you probably wont get the longevity you are looking for...

Zorin
11-19-2007, 12:53 PM
in my experience, chrome plating doesn't come off all that well.. there are some specific steps to getting good adhesion..

sand
alum. metal prep
vinyl wash primer
prime
then paint

but now there are some better products on the market to cut some of these steps out...like dupont DTM primer that allows you to skip the alum. metal prep and vinyl wash primer..

if you just sand, clean and use over the counter spray paint you probably wont get the longevity you are looking for...

yes, you need to use "commercial" products.