PDA

View Full Version : Lexus IS250 AWD what do you think??

summit425
11-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Since my car spinned once on the snow last year I am kind of scare of driving a car on the snow.

I put winter tires but still I am kind of not want to drive RWD anymore on the snow.

I was looking at e46 325xi or 330xi but I don't really like e46 sedan.

If there is e46 coupe (AWD) but there is no such thing.

IS250 AWD what do you think??

reliability? performance? gas mileage? handling?

I Need your opinion thanks

BimmerboyPH
11-18-2007, 08:24 PM
You dont like the e46 sedan? Y?

LBV
11-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Did you think about a MazdaSpeed 6?

Gamite
11-18-2007, 08:37 PM
buy a FWD winter beater. It's cheaper.

BlitzSix
11-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Get a brand new 3 series they come in 2 door awd

M3ti Compact
11-18-2007, 11:57 PM
The IS is a good car- think of it as a more relaxed/comfort version of the BMW.

The only difference between RWD and AWD is when you are on the gas. Off the gas, both will handle the exact same. It does not help you stop, or turn. All AWD does is help you get up to speed quicker in conditions where you should not be going quick.

An E46 with skid control is already good enough IMO. No matter how hard I tried, I could never get the rear end to step out more than one inch with the VSC on...and this was in deep snow...

summit425
11-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Mine comes with ACS... not DSC.. damn !!

Gamite
11-19-2007, 09:29 AM
With winter tires I really don't think you should have that much problems. Beem driving E34's with LSD and ACS for years now with winter tires, and I never really had any problems.

STALKER
11-19-2007, 10:18 AM
The IS is a good car- think of it as a more relaxed/comfort version of the BMW.

The only difference between RWD and AWD is when you are on the gas. Off the gas, both will handle the exact same. It does not help you stop, or turn. All AWD does is help you get up to speed quicker in conditions where you should not be going quick.

An E46 with skid control is already good enough IMO. No matter how hard I tried, I could never get the rear end to step out more than one inch with the VSC on...and this was in deep snow...

AWD will help you turn in snow, it requires a diff driving style then RWD to get the most out of it in snow, especially when its a bit deeper.
But RWD with snows is just fine like most have already mentioned.

someguy
11-19-2007, 10:53 AM
actually no....AWD will not help in turning, unless you try speeding through curves while on the gas. In that case it may give slightly better hold before you spin out, but if you don't pound the gas in the turns, the only advantage AWD has is the initial launch.

dtthiaga
11-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Since my car spinned once on the snow last year I am kind of scare of driving a car on the snow.
I put winter tires but still I am kind of not want to drive RWD anymore on the snow.
I was looking at e46 325xi or 330xi but I don't really like e46 sedan.
If there is e46 coupe (AWD) but there is no such thing.

IS250 AWD what do you think??
reliability? performance? gas mileage? handling?

I Need your opinion thanks

A Lexus will be way more reliable than a BMW. However, an e46 with snow tires should be really good in the Winter. You probably need to do one of the following:

A) Get Better Snow Tires. What are you running?

B) Get thinner snow tires (205's are better). 225 are probably too wide. Snow Tires should be thin, so they cut through the snow, rather than acting like skies and sliding over the snow.

C) Learn to drive better. There is really no execuse for spinning out a e46 with snow tires, unless you are messing around. Many people go through Toronto winters without any incidents, driving an e46 with snows. ACS is just fine, and does a good job of keeping the car in control. You really need to go into a parking lot and practice. You need to treat RWD with respect.

Bartacus
11-19-2007, 11:24 AM
I find the E46 to be the worst winter car I've ever driven in 21 years of driving. Been through 3 sets of winter tires too, 205/55/R16s. Michelins, Hankooks, and now Toyos. And I thought I knew how to drive in winter, being from Nova Scotia and having driven in some crazy storms. Never had a car handle so badly in winter. Christ, the ass wants to come out no matter what you do. I could spin out in a puddle of water. My next winter car will definetly NOT be a bimmer.

Bart

dtthiaga
11-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Worst.....far from that!

An E46 with proper snow tires, ASC or DSCII on, and a proper driver behind the wheel is a very safe car. Never had the rear end come out, unless I was forcing it, and expected it to.

You have to treat a RWD car with respect. That’s why FWD cars became so popular in the 80’s and 90’s. You can drive them without thinking.

I find the e46 (with snows) to be more stable in the snow/ice than my 4 Wheel Drive SUV with all-season tires. With a near 50/50 weight distribution of a e46, it slides very predictably if you make it.

I'm getting snows for the SUV as well. When SUV’s start sliding, they are a handful with all that weight.

Axxe
11-19-2007, 12:09 PM
I find the E46 to be the worst winter car I've ever driven in 21 years of driving. Been through 3 sets of winter tires too, 205/55/R16s. Michelins, Hankooks, and now Toyos. And I thought I knew how to drive in winter, being from Nova Scotia and having driven in some crazy storms. Never had a car handle so badly in winter. Christ, the ass wants to come out no matter what you do. I could spin out in a puddle of water. My next winter car will definetly NOT be a bimmer.

Bart

LOL!! You'd die in an E30 if you think E46 is bad.....

cisco911
11-19-2007, 12:37 PM
As people have said, the E46 is pretty easy to drive in the snow with snow tires. You just have to know how to drive a RWD car in those conditions. You can't expect to pound the throttle and have the car react the same was as in the summer JUST because you have snow tires. It doesn't work like that. That being said, AWD in the winter is better than RWD as it allows for you to get the car moving more easily and allows you to take turns more confidently because there is less chance to have the tail slide out from under you.

The lexus is a good car all around and the AWD is suppose to be pretty good. However, I've heard that the IS250 AWD is suppose to feel slow because of the extra weight of the AWD system.

Must be nice to buy a practically new lexus to use as a winter beater!!! LOL

Michel
11-19-2007, 12:56 PM
my dad drives a 325i E46 in winter, no winter tires, just the stock all seasons that suck...and he's never had any problems AND he's getting old with slow reactions so his driving isnt the best! just dont drive like an idiot in snow, ull be fine....

BimmerboyPH
11-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Worst.....far from that!

An E46 with proper snow tires, ASC or DSCII on, and a proper driver behind the wheel is a very safe car. Never had the rear end come out, unless I was forcing it, and expected it to.

You have to treat a RWD car with respect. Thatís why FWD cars became so popular in the 80ís and 90ís. You can drive them without thinking.

I find the e46 (with snows) to be more stable in the snow/ice than my 4 Wheel Drive SUV with all-season tires. With a near 50/50 weight distribution of a e46, it slides very predictably if you make it.

I'm getting snows for the SUV as well. When SUVís start sliding, they are a handful with all that weight.

We only managed to get the back end out once, and get stuck for a brief min once in our E46 ( On the stock all- seasons) , and we have had AWD Subarus before, and we had them sliding alot more. As long as you treat them with respect its actually very easy to control in the winter.

Meegis
11-20-2007, 12:15 AM
Ahh... my kind of thread.

Just give in and buy a quattro :D

///Maluco
11-20-2007, 11:15 AM
The Lexus IS250AWD is a great car. They're quite reliable and the AWD will get you around hassle-free in snow.
As for the extra weight, generally, you probably won't feel the different between a RWD and AWD model with the same motor.

Lexus/Toyota really hold their value quite well, so at the end of the day, it's not a bad car....plus, I find it looks really good!!!

Another car to consider is an A4 (maybe a B6 or B7 model). They don't hold their value especially if compared to a Toyota brand.
Yeah, I know that many people here are BMW enthusiasts including myself.... but many quickly tend to knock down Audi's due to their problems.....you know what, Bimmers have their own lot of issues as well. To be honest, I love the clean look of A4ís and their interiors...and in my opinion, they look much better and seem to be more refined than BMW interiors.

I've owned a B5 A4 1.8T Quattro for the past 3 yrs and I've come across only one issue out of the typical maintenance schedule. I also have winter tires on it with no problems whatsoever in the winter. There's nothing like an AWD car for the winter....and it can be a lot of fun!

All in all, I'd recommend a Lexus IS250 AWD, A4 (B5, B6, B7) Quattro 4cyl. or V6 models, Volvo S60 T5 AWD...yup, a Volvo...they handle very well and the AWD is awesome in the snow.

Good luck!

Bartacus
11-26-2007, 11:13 AM
I missed a lot since I was sick for the past week, but this is my first day back to work and there's snow in my driveway, around 2 inches worth. I re-iterate: E46s SUCK in the snow, regardless of driving skills! Maybe its just mine. But even driving like a grandpa, going TOO easy on the gas, and the wheels slip and spin, and DSC comes on to make things worse. Maybe I just have crap luck with snow tires, who knows.

Bart

saix
11-26-2007, 12:24 PM
My parents drive fine in their E36 and E46 with snow tires.

Meegis
11-26-2007, 05:10 PM
I missed a lot since I was sick for the past week, but this is my first day back to work and there's snow in my driveway, around 2 inches worth. I re-iterate: E46s SUCK in the snow, regardless of driving skills! Maybe its just mine. But even driving like a grandpa, going TOO easy on the gas, and the wheels slip and spin, and DSC comes on to make things worse. Maybe I just have crap luck with snow tires, who knows.

Bart

I got an S4 you can buy for winter use. It has quattro, but sometimes is ineffective due to torque.

dtthiaga
11-26-2007, 05:42 PM
Bart

Are you serious? There is no way the E46 sucks in the snow (with snow tires). Even in deep snow, that car is good. It must be your car, or your driving.

Out of curiosity:

What Type of Tires (Brand and Model)?

Tire Size?
225/45-17 ??
245/40-17 ??
225/40-18 ??

How old are the tires?

330DTM
11-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Come on now, when I had the E36 328i w/crappy OEM Michelin All Seasons I never spun out. ASC prevents the wheel from spinning. I floored it in the snow and the system kicked in preventing any wheel spin.

Ever notice when it snows, you see SUV's in the ditch? I have when I drove during my ski vacations. They have AWD too yet they end up in ditches? It really boils down to the driver. I could probably spin my 328i out with ASC on by flicking the car, but that would be because I'm forcing it to.

Anyways, the IS250 is a nice car, but if the AWD does give you the added assurance, go for it *th-up*

Bartacus
11-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Are you serious? There is no way the E46 sucks in the snow (with snow tires). Even in deep snow, that car is good. It must be your car, or your driving.

Out of curiosity:

What Type of Tires (Brand and Model)?

Tire Size?
225/45-17 ??
245/40-17 ??
225/40-18 ??

How old are the tires?

Serious as cancer. Tires are on their second winter (bought em brand new last year). They're Toyo Gripens (not sure of the exact model #). My last set of snow tires (which I also found sucked) were Michelin Pilot Alpins (since replaced by the X-Ice I think). In deep snow, this car is TERRIBLE. If your not following in someone elses tracks, good luck. Tire size is OEM stock, 205/55-16. I can't see how this is a problem with my driving. I've been driving for 21 years, and while I'm not a fantastic driver, I've driven in my share of horrible Nova Scotia winters (but always with FWD or 4x4). This is my first RWD car, so maybe thats a factor. But even driving SLOW, in a straight line, the car likes to wiggle in deep snow/slush.

Meegis: don't tempt me!! If I had the cash, I'd get a quattro wagon in a heartbeat for winter. I'm already tempted to refinance my house and head down to the USA with 20 grand to get a used one.

Bart

StikiGreenZ
11-27-2007, 09:47 AM
I love how my e46 handles in the snow. I've driven through deep snow intentionally pushing the gas down and the traction control light doesnt stop blinking while it keeps my car under control. I can turn, brake, and accelerate (using Dunlop winter tires, 2nd season starting now...).

No complaints other than in really deep snow where there are tracks, you must be careful (but that is with all cars, not just an e46).

I'd say the e46 is far from the worse handling in the snow, but not the best either.

T.Dot_E30
11-27-2007, 11:11 AM

Bart

Are you buying bald snow tires or something?

330DTM
11-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Serious as cancer. Tires are on their second winter (bought em brand new last year). They're Toyo Gripens (not sure of the exact model #). My last set of snow tires (which I also found sucked) were Michelin Pilot Alpins (since replaced by the X-Ice I think). In deep snow, this car is TERRIBLE. If your not following in someone elses tracks, good luck. Tire size is OEM stock, 205/55-16. I can't see how this is a problem with my driving. I've been driving for 21 years, and while I'm not a fantastic driver, I've driven in my share of horrible Nova Scotia winters (but always with FWD or 4x4). This is my first RWD car, so maybe thats a factor. But even driving SLOW, in a straight line, the car likes to wiggle in deep snow/slush.

Bart

I would love to take your car out for a spin in the snow someday just to see if it really is the car :P

dtthiaga
11-27-2007, 04:16 PM

Meegis: don't tempt me!! If I had the cash, I'd get a quattro wagon in a heartbeat for winter. I'm already tempted to refinance my house and head down to the USA with 20 grand to get a used one.
Bart

It must be your specific car or the way you drive a RWD car. I've driven on highway 416 in Ottawa when it is dumped on, and had no issues with my E46 (with snows). It always feels steady with loads of traction. I've driven for years, even on the old highway 16 in Ottawa in middle of winter.

I've even shown friends how good my E36 and E46 were on the Michelin Alpines Snows. Parked the car on the hill which was snow covered, revved the engine to 3000 rpm and dropped the clutch. She just pulled up the hill, straight with no drama.

Meegis
11-27-2007, 04:44 PM

Bart

Oh, I will keep tempting and prodding till you make me an offer... it's in my heritage ;)

As for going south of the border to import.... unless its over 15 years old, a lot Audis are bitches to cross due to RIV restrictions. Also, the S4 is completely inadmissable.

Bartacus
11-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Are you buying bald snow tires or something?

Every set was bought brand new (and my Toyos have lots of tread). Tires are not something I skimp on. I'll run up my credit line for good rubber. Considering how I drive in summer, its a safety measure for me and everyone else around me. :D My summer tires are $400 each. All my tires are bought new.

328DTM: I'd love to let you man, seriously! I'm MORE than open to the fact that I just can't drive. I have no arrogance about that AT ALL. I KNOW I'm not a GREAT driver, but I seem to be able to drive better than most folks in Ottawa. Of course, that isn't hard. Kinda like saying "I'm a nicer guy than Hitler was". :D I've LOVE to know it was me. I could fix that part. I've had the suspension checked, control arms, shocks, alignment, etc, all comes back clean. I'm SCARED to drive in snow now.

Bart

Meegis
11-27-2007, 05:13 PM
I'm SCARED to drive in snow now.

Bart

You just need to check what your doing wrong... I used to be scared of my car too... Seriously, I was. Im not being sarcastic or ragging on you in any way.

I say reassess the situation and try going to an empty lot to see what your doing wrong.

And when all else fails, take a vacation to Florida, pick up my car, and be quattro'd :P

Bartacus
11-28-2007, 10:26 AM
You just need to check what your doing wrong... I used to be scared of my car too... Seriously, I was. Im not being sarcastic or ragging on you in any way.

I say reassess the situation and try going to an empty lot to see what your doing wrong.

And when all else fails, take a vacation to Florida, pick up my car, and be quattro'd :P

Funny thing is I LOVE driving, and I've NEVER felt fear behind the wheel before. Even when spinning out in a storm and doing 360s across 2 lanes of traffic in my dads old 4x4, I was strangely calm. In the summer, before this dumb-**** 50 over law, I'd be doing 160-170 on the way to work, totally fearless. But come winter, that all changes.

I think you guys are right. I just need to wait until the next storm, and then find a parking lot and **** around a bit. Or stop modding my car and start modding the DRIVER and take some winter driving schools.

Bart