PDA

View Full Version : rebuilt @ bavarian engine xchange, info????

e30sequel
11-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Im seriously contemplating a restoration job for a '91 318i and when i saw bavarian engine exchange, i thought it would be a great opportunity and cost effective as well. Before i take the plunge (including their performance package which is supposed to yield !20%!!!!!???? increase), please forward any info/any day to day experience with these rebuilt engines. I have searched here as well as bimmerforums and aside from some bad customer service, i really have no idea how the performance of these rebuilds holds up. Again, if you have any info about this, it would be of great help to me and it'd be much appreciated*rockout*

Axxe
11-14-2007, 10:51 PM
Why not do an engine swap? A 4 cylinder sedan will never have any collector value, well, nothing short of any factory Mtech car or an M3.

jamison67
11-14-2007, 11:43 PM
ya definitly its not worth it

if you sink a little bit more or even the same you can get a nice swap that will enhance the power and will be more fun to drive

NickP
11-15-2007, 01:21 AM
Years ago they had a very marginal reputation - I don't know if its changed.

Gleb
11-16-2007, 12:32 AM
Try Metric Mechanic

e30sequel
11-18-2007, 02:30 AM
*rockout* *shiner* ok that sounds better!! thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction. These guys sound like they know what they are doing and it would be a good investment. They have a sik clip on their site (metric)showing an owner of a 318i test driving a newly upgraded M42 engine. It sounds EXACTLY like what i envisioned and 8000+rpm shifting is :mad: *love* :mad: :mad: :D
I found an issue of european car (vol 36 no.7, july/05) that highlights a lot of info on the 3, old to new and i found it as helpful as this forum. Thanx again for the help - hopefully i can come back and chronicle the experience of my lil mission-by at least summer 08*rockout*

Axxe
11-18-2007, 12:34 PM
You are intent on keeping the M42?

oldskool3
11-18-2007, 03:28 PM
An engine swap with any of the e36 engines will yield more power for probably less money.

e30sequel
11-19-2007, 12:34 AM
thanx for the response however i feel like maintaining the light weight of the 4 cylinder is more effective although slower----so, the only options are either adapting the 96-on 1.9L or stick with the factory set up to keep things clean and maintain some sort of predictability----so, as soon as the money is available, i'd say around 10k @ metric machanic if the tranny is redone as well, and i still maintain light weight (and a lil bit faster and more durable according to metric!)----yet another reason for this choice is because the e30 is not exactly sophisticated in the suspension department, just tried n true RWD set up (similar i guess to the likes of the mustang, just much lighter so more responsive) so adding weight couldnt help handling which methinks is the best part of the driving, straight is nice to push head of passenger into the back seat(followed by your crotch, of course) but i prefer handling in the end (ie CONTROL*uzi* )-
i think the 318ti would be better suited to an e36 swap as they already have this in Europe(the battery is in the back and although its still better to stick w/the light weight of the 1.9L, at least the LONG six is pushed as far back in the front as possible- FRONT MID SHIP or the like)
this makes me think of the block tickling your knees in an accident but light weight is where its at for me and if its gonna cost a few grand to obtain an e30 318i, then another 10-15k to restore, that would be less than a new/ late used car that will have obd2, lotsa traction nannies to cost an arm an a leg to fix and maintain, and just taking the driving enjoyment out of the car-methinks this is the better route and keep the more modern 318ti as a daily grocery getter(with a few of its own mods that mostly revolve around handling and structural stiffening-ie xbrace, prof welding of weak areas etc) and i would be content*mw*
ps any more traction aids on the car than the 318ti and it would go straight to the wife :D

e30sequel
11-22-2007, 01:15 AM
You are intent on keeping the M42?

its not that im intent on keeping the m42, but it just means less work and fabrication, just bolts into place. Used to drive one BEFORE i got into cars and now i have a chance to improve what i was used to. Have a look at the clip of the black e30 on Metric Mecahnic*uzi*

craz azn
11-22-2007, 01:27 AM
You know as bad as you say the e30 is, its really not too bad of a handling car. Lightyears ahead of a Mustang lol. Now I agree its not the most sophisticated suspension geometry design, but for the time it was good, and performed well on racetracks around the world in the late 80s. As for your idea to go with a 318Ti, thats also on the same level as an e30 because it still has the trailing arm setup as opposed to the newer multi link setup as in the e36 saloon. Not to mention its probably heavier than an e30.

Stick with what you have, learn to drive it quick, and then draw your comments/solutions/criticism on the platform. Its not that bad.

Chris de la Cruz
11-22-2007, 08:52 AM
this thread makes me bash my head into things.

I'm sorry if you can't handle Tail out with the straight six, You're driving the wrong car. Go buy a honda or something.

The E30 is a twitchy car to drive but its not as bad as you make it out to be. If you're comparing the e30 to a mustang, buddy, you've got ALOT to learn.

T.Dot_E30
11-22-2007, 10:21 AM
e30 is not exactly sophisticated in the suspension department, just tried n true RWD set up (similar i guess to the likes of the mustang, just much lighter so more responsive)

Let me get this straight? You are saying the rear suspension setup of an e30 is similiar to a mustang?

Have you ever seen one of these?
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/images/pageimages/foxbody3.gif

tominizer
11-22-2007, 12:58 PM
IF you want to keep a four banger............ go find yourself an E30 S14 motor. There's been some race prepped E36's with the S14 installed.

e30sequel
11-22-2007, 11:24 PM
:cool: FIRST of all, i never said that the handling of the e30 was bad, just not sophisticated and i wouldnt have it any other way. The comparison to the mustang was simply to demonstrate that it was a simple and effective design. NOW, what this means to me is that it would be easier to work on, cheaper to fix and maintain, easier to do swaps and a natural feeling car overall. So dont get me wrong folks, i plan on investing a lot of money and time to make this happen - one all out '91 318i as a wknd warrior and one 318ti as me daily. So im simply gonna try to duplicate the same trick M used to bring us th e30 M3-light weight plus power equals old school style driving-no safety, no nannies, just you and car and above all else TALENT;)

e30sequel
11-22-2007, 11:32 PM
IF you want to keep a four banger............ go find yourself an E30 S14 motor. There's been some race prepped E36's with the S14 installed.

Thanks Tominizer, where would i find an s14 and please keep in mind that i wouldnt mind losing a lil power to achieve maximum durability - i was looking at Metric Mechanic and first rule of thumb is maximum displacement, and maximum durabililty for which their four banger set up seems perfect-from what i understand, they take stock and modify it to better than stock and a reasonable power output of about 170hp/150trq. This seems enough to satisfy my needs of modest output and durability. Much appreciated suggestion, let me know if possible and thanks again.*th-up*

craz azn
11-23-2007, 12:03 AM
A Mustang is NOT an effective design. It is a piece of shit.

S14 engines are starting to get ridiculously hard to find, not to mention they command fairly high prices. Not a cost-effective route for you to take. Next I think you need to educate yourself a bit more with what you have, and also whats available. Go to R3Vlimited.com. There is an abundance of e30spec info that would come in handy for you as a start to get a firm grip on whats going on. The mentality you display so far towards your project will not net you a satisfactory car down the road.

Lastly, some of that Metric Mechanic stuff is a little far-fetched. There is nearly no way you could have a street reliable 8000rpm+ revving m42/44 engine. It doesn't even SOUND like it in that video. I will BET you that its not going past 7500 in that vid. Its easy to stick different kinds of coding plugs into different gauge clusters to give an illusion you know.

Chris de la Cruz
11-23-2007, 10:53 AM
LOL YOU'RE SPENDING 10K ON AN M42!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://skippy.net/images/roflcopter.gif

caps

e30_kid89
11-23-2007, 11:58 AM
LOOOOOL^^^^^

I can't lie a built M42/44 would be a badass setup, But its not worth it for 10k.....If it was for free then it would be different.....*wiggle*

Zorin
11-23-2007, 12:20 PM
You can always go for old and reliable m10 4 cylinder - plenty of them available - you can easily go turbo on it.

Zorin
11-23-2007, 12:29 PM

caps

for 10k, you can rebuild and upgrade an entire e30. my project including 2 cars and 3 cars worth of various parts cost me 3500 so far. i think that before you start the engine work make sure you have a healthy rust free e30 with additional supports welded in.

e30sequel
11-24-2007, 05:20 PM

caps

Ok, so 10k seems steep and i acknowledge this, however, i am looking for a RELIABLE mode of transportation that i can keep for another 10yrs - so the costly rebuild/overbuild would hopefully yield this, i dont think a 'touch up' type of job would last too long although much cheaper:confused: SO ........ thanx for the response and if you wanna offer me help, which i obviously need, please offer options as opposed to :puke: :puke: :puke:

Axxe
11-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Do An Engine Swap.

craz azn
11-25-2007, 02:32 AM
Next I think you need to educate yourself a bit more with what you have, and also whats available. Go to R3Vlimited.com.

^^^

Ej_Red
12-01-2007, 02:27 AM
Wow just wow...