PDA

View Full Version : driveshaft bearing replacment

kapt_krickee
11-14-2007, 12:00 PM
replacing the driveshaft bearing tonight..
anything else i could take care of while under there?

oh..my mechanic says i should make sure the heat shield between the floor of the car and the exhaust has to be there...or i'm risking the floor catching on fire..
my buddy says horseshizz..i dont need it..

so what do u guys think?
apparently when i got the car it wasnt there..and no fires yet..so i'm not actually worried about it...but whaddu sayin?

also..do i need these?
circlip
backing plate
cover plate

can i reuse the old oneS?

tia
*shiner*

BigD
11-14-2007, 12:10 PM
You can reuse the old plate and circlip but... imagine how badly it would suck if you were to mangle them somehow taking them off - to delay a big job like this over a few parts that cost pennies? Just order new ones with the bearing. By the way, BE SURE TO ORDER THE RIGHT ONE!!! The pre and post 88 ones are different and aren't compatible.

Change the flex disk too and keep the heat shield. If it's not there.. dunno up to you, I'd try to get a set from a scrap car. It's not there for the fun of it. If nothing else, it gives the driveshaft and center bearing extra protection.

T.Dot_E30
11-14-2007, 12:20 PM
You mean the Center Support Bearing right?

Because the u-joints aren't replaceable... Atleast not without taking it to a driveline/machine shop. It'll have to be balanced after.

Change the flexdisk while your there and new bolts.
If your tranny output seal is leaking, now is the good time to change it, as it requires the driveshalf off. As well as the diff input seals.

Also with the driveshalf off, it gives you alot of clearance to replace shifter bushings or even install a short shift.

SamE30e
11-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Make sure when you put it back together you pre-load the CSB forward 5mm when you put it back together. My car has the shakes from 20-40 when taking off. I should have changed my CSB when I did my clutch.

Axxe
11-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Also, put blue loctite on the the flex disc bolts and rear driveshaft nuts. Keeps it from backing off in the future (mostly a precaution). The heat shield keeps the CSB rubber ring from frying due to the heat of the cats.