PDA

View Full Version : supercharger question

blk325i
11-12-2007, 11:37 AM
i bought a used ERT supecharger kit for my 97 m3 had it installed last night, pluged the computer in the car wont start, take that one out plug my original computer car starts. Drove the car around last night and every time i throttle it and than come to a stop sign car will shuts off.
what i wanted to ask is if anybody knows anybody that can program the OBD2 m3 computers for this settup??
thanks

SickFinga
11-12-2007, 05:10 PM
with another ECU, does your engine turn over when you try to start it?

blk325i
11-12-2007, 06:41 PM
yup it starts

SickFinga
11-12-2007, 07:02 PM
yup it starts

I mean does engine turn over with ECU that came with the kit?

NOTORIOUS VR
11-12-2007, 10:53 PM
i bought a used ERT supecharger kit for my 97 m3 had it installed last night, pluged the computer in the car wont start, take that one out plug my original computer car starts. Drove the car around last night and every time i throttle it and than come to a stop sign car will shuts off.
what i wanted to ask is if anybody knows anybody that can program the OBD2 m3 computers for this settup??
thanks

You shouldn't be boosting a car with the stock ECU... the timing and fuel maps need to be adjusted. Did the other ECU (or the S/C) come with different injectors? It might be that the injector pulsewidth on the ECU that came with the S/C is too small for your original injectors resulting in the car not getting enough fuel to start. Either that or the ECU is dead/bad.

bmdbley'sBro
11-13-2007, 03:29 AM
You shouldn't be boosting a car with the stock ECU... the timing and fuel maps need to be adjusted. .

for the sake of a 'perfect tune' i'll agree...
but i've been driving my boosted car on its stock ecu (and others) for 2years.
it seems to adapt ok up till 12lbs. so a stage 1 sc should be ok.. but not 'perfect'

what no1 should do is drive a boosted car without extra fueling and a A/F & boost gauges

jeffrie
11-13-2007, 03:34 AM
^^^ I agree, been driving with 8 PSI and stock ECU managment for over a year with no issues @ all, fuel milage has bearly even suffered.
I'd put stock ECU back in and let it compensate.

blk325i
11-13-2007, 11:42 AM
the car doesn't start with the ecu that i got with the kit, which i found that i have to do EWS align which i did yestarday and the car starts with the ECU that came with the kit after EWS, but on the way home the engine light came on and the car wont stay running at idle, if i drive it normally the car will run but soon as i step on it and come to the stop the car will die on me, but if i drive it normally the car will stay running at like 500-600 rpm. i didn't get no bigger injectors with the kit but i got rasing fuel pressure regulator with it. i think the car is running to rich and thats why i keeps shuting off on me when i punch it i'll hook up a fuel gauge to it tonight to see what it is running at.
So is it true that i can run a system on the stock ecu or i have to get it tuned. the kit was only suppostu be 6-6.5 psi??
thanks

SickFinga
11-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Sounds like you got a vacuum leak somewhere.

blk325i
11-13-2007, 01:17 PM
i will bring the car in the shop tonight to check for vacum leaks and to check fuel pressure. What fuel pressure should be at?? It's a 97 m3 with ERT powerdyne supecharger. stock injectors and with rasing fuel pressure regulator.
thanks

SickFinga
11-13-2007, 02:32 PM
Well, stock fuel pressure on your car is at 3.5 bar.

With your setup you should be running about 30lbs@3.5 injectors.
Right now you have 21.5lbs

You really should get injectors, they are not that expensive.

blk325i
11-13-2007, 03:54 PM
thanks man i'm going to check that out tonight and i found a guy that has a scan tool for bimmers so i'll check the engine light too to see what its saying

blk325i
11-13-2007, 08:30 PM
can i run a stock pressure regulator and the one that i got with the kit at the same time?? i checked fuel pressure and the one that i got with the kit doesn't do anything

NOTORIOUS VR
11-13-2007, 09:11 PM
for the sake of a 'perfect tune' i'll agree...
but i've been driving my boosted car on its stock ecu (and others) for 2years.
it seems to adapt ok up till 12lbs. so a stage 1 sc should be ok.. but not 'perfect'

what no1 should do is drive a boosted car without extra fueling and a A/F & boost gauges

I don't like to rely on knock sensors to have to pull back the timing because of detonation. Especially since knock sensors aren't all that good in detecting knock at high RPM. Also, stage 1 S/C kit's are usually non intercooled, where IMO it's even worse not to have a proper chip as FI = higher intake temps which means you're more prone to detonation again.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work... but the absolute most I'd boost is 6psi on a stock ECU/motor combo. But that's just me.

As for extra fueling, how will you get that with a stock ECU? The only way would be an FMU/RRFPR, which again would work but not the most efficient way to get power out of your setup.

NOTORIOUS VR
11-14-2007, 12:36 AM
^^^ I agree, been driving with 8 PSI and stock ECU managment for over a year with no issues @ all, fuel milage has bearly even suffered.
I'd put stock ECU back in and let it compensate.

I just stumbled onto this threat over at BF:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=870693

kinda answers most of the questions here, and tells you exactly why you shouldn't be putting boost on a stock ECU'd car.

What have you done for fueling btw?

jeffrie
11-14-2007, 08:16 AM
Raising rate fuel pressure regulator, that's it.
On full Boost fuel rail pressure holds @ 90 PSI.
I can only burn 91+ octane fuel with my stock 10:1 compression.
Then again that's all I burned before FI aswell.

I do plan on tuning and bigger injectors for when I go to 10 PSI.

blk325i
11-14-2007, 08:59 AM
well i brought it into the shop last night and checked fuel pressure it was sitting at 44psi idle, tryed adding more fuel since i'm using fuel pressure regulator didn't get anything(couldn't trun it up or down) it's like it didn't even work, so what i found out that oe fuel pressure regulator is actually regulated by ECU and ECU wouldn't let me get more fuel into the system so i bypassed the oe fuel pressure regulator and now i can turn fuel up which i did and works a lot better as per Engine light was for bad mixtures in bank 1 and bank2.
Does anybody what the fuel pressure should be at idle and when i'm boosting
BTW i'm not planing on boosting more then 6psi anyways for now.

SickFinga
11-14-2007, 09:16 AM
44psi is 3.0 bar, you should be at 3.5 or 51psi.

Do you have OBDII tool? If you do, check your STFT and LTFT.

blk325i
11-14-2007, 01:43 PM
i should be at 51psi at idle and when i stepon it what should it go up to?? i got little bit more pressure right now i think i'm at 60psi at idle. i found a guy localy that is going to tune it a bit for me on the stock computer, he's got a wide band that can be hook up to any car so we can play around with air/fuel mixture.
btw do you guys know anybody that will tune the ECU in the ontario??

SickFinga
11-14-2007, 02:44 PM
First get appropriate injectors for you car. Tuning your software without them is just a waste of time and money.
Before you do anything with your tuning that came with the kit, find out if previous owner had similar problems, if he didn't then your tuning is fine and something is wrong with your install.

blk325i
11-14-2007, 03:54 PM
i'm trying to get hold of a guy that i bought it from so i can see if the ECU was ever tuned to begin with, second i think the stock injectors are fine for only 6psi because i got buddy with 328 turbo boosting 10psi on stock injectors and the car is running fine but he is running a biggyback system. but i will look into getting another set of injectors but i just scaned the car for codes and i'm running too rich all 4 oxygen sensors are showing that they are running rich, plus i think i found a leak between a throtle body and manifold so i got to look into that too.
thanks

SickFinga
11-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Stock injectors are definitely not fine. If a simple 3.5" hfm swap requires 24lbs injectors, a boosted car definitely requires bigger injectors.
Right now I have 36lbs injectors and I just ordered 42lbs for my 11psi m3.

Did you install boost gauge? How much psi are you getting?

The only person I know that can do OBDII tuning in Ontario is MarkD

blk325i
11-15-2007, 12:11 PM
do you want to get rid of yours 36lbs injectors if so how much
i havent got the gauge in yet i will today or tomorow
and i have spoke with markD already work in progress.
thanks

SickFinga
11-15-2007, 01:16 PM
do you want to get rid of yours 36lbs injectors if so how much
i havent got the gauge in yet i will today or tomorow
and i have spoke with markD already work in progress.
thanks

I will be selling them soon, but 36lbs might be too much for your application.
I might be selling them as a package though, 3.5"hfm, injectors and ECU.
I'll let you know when I'll get my 42s.

blk325i
11-15-2007, 02:08 PM
I will be selling them soon, but 36lbs might be too much for your application.
I might be selling them as a package though, 3.5"hfm, injectors and ECU.
I'll let you know when I'll get my 42s.

would all that work on my car? what size injectors i should be looking at??
one more thing i just came back from bmw where i had my EWS done but they flushed the ECU that i got with the car so i'm working on the deal with them to get me dinan software put back into the my ECU they will let me know today. Would that work with ERT setup (dinan software)?
btw how much would you be looking for your package??
thanks

blk325i
11-15-2007, 02:09 PM
44psi is 3.0 bar, you should be at 3.5 or 51psi.

Do you have OBDII tool? If you do, check your STFT and LTFT.

hey sickfinga whats STFT and LTFT??

JMW
11-15-2007, 08:16 PM
what colour is ure caR? maybe i saw it when i was at laurier (went to uni there) have a silver boosted m3 with a cf hood

SickFinga
11-15-2007, 09:01 PM
one more thing i just came back from bmw where i had my EWS done but they flushed the ECU that i got with the car so i'm working on the deal with them to get me dinan software put back into the my ECU they will let me know today. Would that work with ERT setup (dinan software)?
thanks

36lbs injectors are too much for 6psi setup.
I think Dinan kit came with 28lbs injectors.
Dinan software should work, what you got is pretty much an early version of the Dinan kit.

STFT is Short Term Fuel Trim
LTFT is Long Term Fuel Trim.
Any OBDII scan tool should be able to show you those values.

MarkD
11-15-2007, 11:52 PM
thanks

What's wromg with those guys that aligned the EWS? Why did they erase your software? You don't need to erase it to align the EWS. I'd say they don't know what they are doing!

blk325i
11-16-2007, 09:09 AM
i don't know why they reflashed the ECU i would say that they didn't know what they were doing but it really doesn't matter right now i think kit is up for sale i got cought last night for "racing" 52 over the limit i need money to fight it. F**cking ontario law!!!

bitchfree
11-16-2007, 01:58 PM
ouch

SickFinga
11-16-2007, 03:57 PM
i don't know why they reflashed the ECU i would say that they didn't know what they were doing but it really doesn't matter right now i think kit is up for sale i got cought last night for "racing" 52 over the limit i need money to fight it. F**cking ontario law!!!

well, that was fast.
Good luck with it.

P.S. was your car impounded?

blk325i
11-17-2007, 08:56 AM
well, that was fast.
Good luck with it.

P.S. was your car impounded?

thanks
yeah i know i was on the way home they took my winter beater now i got to bring the bimmer out for a week.

myndgone
11-17-2007, 05:35 PM
i got cought last night for "racing" 52 over the limit i need money to fight it. F**cking ontario law!!!

thats because you're a ****ing idiot...you KNOW that if you go 50 over you will get caught...drive ****ing 49 over!!!....im glad that ****s like you get busted!!!

bmdbley'sBro
11-17-2007, 05:37 PM
I just stumbled onto this threat over at BF:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=870693

kinda answers most of the questions here, and tells you exactly why you shouldn't be putting boost on a stock ECU'd car.

What have you done for fueling btw?

hey did you see how i replied on page 3 saying:
uhmm i've been running boost on a stock ecu for 2years now!

mosselman kit for the 318: rrfpr no chip/ stock ecu passes cali smog.

DASC sc kit rrfpr no chip/ stock ecu passes cali smog.

so uhmm to the 'stock ecu? no u can't do that!' crowd.
^ those are mass produced well known kits.

this is what i run for fueling Instead of a rrfpr & (hopefully) the right sized injectors
http://www.sdsefi.com/eic.html

blk325i
11-17-2007, 09:07 PM
hey did you see how i replied on page 3 saying:
uhmm i've been running boost on a stock ecu for 2years now!

mosselman kit for the 318: rrfpr no chip/ stock ecu passes cali smog.

DASC sc kit rrfpr no chip/ stock ecu passes cali smog.

so uhmm to the 'stock ecu? no u can't do that!' crowd.
^ those are mass produced well known kits.

this is what i run for fueling Instead of a rrfpr & (hopefully) the right sized injectors
http://www.sdsefi.com/eic.html

thanks man i'm going to see if bmw will get me that software on monday if i don't sell the kit i'll play with the fine dyno tunning and maybe a wide-band and will see how she runs
btw the car runs a lot nicer today then it was few days ago because i found a big leak (the line that comes off the stock intake boot fell right out)

as for "myndgone" all i got to say to you i hope it happens to you!
btw i'll be a bigger man and wont start calling you names over the internet.

blk325i
11-18-2007, 01:56 PM
last night i was driving a car on the highway i steped on it a bit got off came to the complete stop i smell burnt oil, open the hood look around and saw oil coming out of the back of the engine looks like a valve cover gasket gave up, what would make that to happen??
that big vacume line that goes into the side of the valve cover in the front should it have vacume or boosted air coming through it?? the reason i'm saying boosted air because i traced it and it's going into some black box under the intake manifold but so those the line that comes from underneath oe booth that comes right before a trottle body which should have boosted air coming thru it.

blk325i
11-18-2007, 04:10 PM
well i pulled the ignition coils out and coil #4 and #5 were full of oil. what would couse this to happen??

bmdbley'sBro
11-18-2007, 04:45 PM
leaking valve cover gasket would cause that..

did you buy a air/fuel ratio gauge yet? :D

SickFinga
11-18-2007, 07:06 PM
that big vacume line that goes into the side of the valve cover in the front should it have vacume or boosted air coming through it?? the reason i'm saying boosted air because i traced it and it's going into some black box under the intake manifold but so those the line that comes from underneath oe booth that comes right before a trottle body which should have boosted air coming thru it.

You are boosting your crankcase. AA kit comes with a block off seal for the oil separator(black box under your manifold)
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CD93&mospid=47504&btnr=11_1487&hg=11&fg=15

You need to block off hose number 1.

And like bmdbley'sBro said, you need to change your valve cover gasket. It is an easy DIY.

uber e36
11-18-2007, 11:34 PM
thats because you're a ****ing idiot...you KNOW that if you go 50 over you will get caught...drive ****ing 49 over!!!....im glad that ****s like you get busted!!!

Take it easy big man...

bmdbley'sBro
11-19-2007, 12:53 AM

i was surprised by how many people i've talked to in the last while havn't heard about it at all!..

or only heard about the 50 over part..

so maybe he didn't know. anyways its a cash grab: 1300 cars @t$2000ea is $2.6mill

my opinion if guy was weaving in & out of cars at 120 in traffic seize his shit..
but 150 at night on a mostly empty road doesn't make 'you a ****' that deserves it

jeffrie
11-19-2007, 01:14 AM
Need to start doing what the super bike drivers did, build cars way too fast for the law enforcment and simply outrun them (funny how insurance goes up after).

Make their job hard and it will change...
As for now while your all bitching about the law, enjoy being "Their BITCHES" to fund them till it's a problem, while in the meantime your all giving them a big fat bonus each time they catch you.

IMO If your dumb enough to get caught you deserve the punishment...

blk325i
11-19-2007, 11:31 AM
You are boosting your crankcase. AA kit comes with a block off seal for the oil separator(black box under your manifold)
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CD93&mospid=47504&btnr=11_1487&hg=11&fg=15

You need to block off hose number 1.

And like bmdbley'sBro said, you need to change your valve cover gasket. It is an easy DIY.

thanks i figure that valve cover gasket blow up on me and i already replaced one on my other bimmer, so that would not be a prbolem, as for that hose number 1 how would i block it off?? and is there anything else that i should know to block it off or pull it out or disconect with this kit??

blk325i
11-19-2007, 11:34 AM
leaking valve cover gasket would cause that..

did you buy a air/fuel ratio gauge yet? :D

no i didn't I'm taking the care to storage today, i'll get all of the parts and gauges that i need over winter i wanted to rush through this set up i guess you can't, y you got one??

blk325i
11-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Need to start doing what the super bike drivers did, build cars way too fast for the law enforcment and simply outrun them (funny how insurance goes up after).

As for now while your all bitching about the law, enjoy being "Their BITCHES" to fund them till it's a problem, while in the meantime your all giving them a big fat bonus each time they catch you.

it was a contry road 70km/hr speed limit it was me in my winter beater and farm fields around i was coming home from Ayr, ON into kitchener, ON if anybody knows where that is they will realize that you could go 200km/hr and the only person you could hurt there is yourself or a cow, but anyways my laywer is already looking at this thicket as a joke because i asked to see the rader cop said "no" which makes us think that he didn't even have one on and i don't think cop did because it was a waterloo reagion cop they don't have radars mounted on the dash it wasn't opp. We'll see what happens\

bmdbley'sBro
11-19-2007, 06:01 PM

did you hear about the little girl run over in mntrl, while putting halloween decorations up at her baby sitters?
they (news) say it was racing but it was mntrlRacing.com members

they say 1 was stopped at a stop sign -the other flew past on the left
as the vdub left the stop sign...

my point? Big TAKE BACK THE STREETS MARCH -
I've seen on the news that the qc gov is now Thinking about enacting the ont law for QC.. *thmbsdwn*

so as i said on mr EMAIL YOUR MP,
cause if were dumb enough to let them put this into law we almost deserve it..

you'll no longer be safe to rational thinking about driving in quebec