PDA

View Full Version : Got Ticket. Got Advice?

Boss17
11-07-2007, 03:50 PM
So last week i got a ticket from some dickhead cop who had nothing better to do. I was in traffic, passed the cop, 2 min later I see him on the shoulder and he gets behind me. Cherries go on and I pull over to the shoulder. Literally right across the road another cop has a benz pulled over.

Anways, the cop says he's pulling me over for improper display of my license plate (Section 7 (1) (b) (i) of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act). I try to explain that I have ordered the front piece to mount my plate; as the euro plate piece is on right now and the plate can't be affixed to it. The cop didn't seem to care about my explanation and tells me to drill holes in my bumper (right after he says it's a nice car and all).

Either way I have a receipt of the piece i ordered from bmw and will take pictures of the before and after.

Do you guys have any suggestions? as I do plan to take this to court.

Eddie

europrince
11-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Ontario law requires two plates, front and back. Its common knowledge and ignorance of the law isn't an excuse. You can take it to court and hope the cop doesn't show. If he does, plead guilty with an explanation and ask for a reduced fine. Its not a moving violation, so it won't affect your insurance.

Boss17
11-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Ontario law requires two plates, front and back. Its common knowledge and ignorance of the law isn't an excuse. You can take it to court and hope the cop doesn't show. If he does, plead guilty with an explanation and ask for a reduced fine. Its not a moving violation, so it won't affect your insurance.

Ok but what about the fact that my plate cannot be mounted and I ordered the correct piece prior to receiving the ticket? I have proof of this.

shimajer
11-07-2007, 04:42 PM
it doesn't matter. you should have made sure the front plate can be mounted before driving the vehicle. i feel your pain, i have an europlate too.

330ci05
11-07-2007, 04:50 PM
i got one in cayuga too :( now i have to pay, cuz i'm not going all the way there 2 times, it will cost me more then the amount on the ticket.... this does not go on your insurance record right?

Boots R
11-07-2007, 05:01 PM
lol, same thing happened to me. I have holes in the front bumper, but I told him the licence plate holes don't line up to it and i'm waiting for the mounting kit. He told me to drill a hole into the plate.

But he didn't give me a ticket. :P

kevin325
11-07-2007, 05:09 PM
haha dont even worry about front plate tickets. take a picture of the plate mounted on the front of your car and they will drop it instantly. Its like a "fix" it ticket.

Boss17
11-07-2007, 06:58 PM
it's just pure bullshit. It's such a dumb money making law. Hopefully the cop doesn't show.

Arash
11-07-2007, 07:30 PM
why go to court, arrange to meet with prosecutor (first attendance meeting), take your papers in and explain to her/him and show a picture that you now have the plate mounted properly. 100% sure they'll drop it for you.

and next time you see a cop in the traffic, don't pass them, stay couple of cars behind, eventho you're not doing anything wrong they'll find something to get you since you have a bimmer or a modified car. not worth the headache.

craz azn
11-08-2007, 12:52 AM
He told me to drill a hole into the plate.

But he didn't give me a ticket. :P

I was once told that you can get a ticket for something like that, 'defacing government property' or some wack BS like that. Apparently you cant bend, modify, manipulate plates, etc etc.... :confused:

Boots R
11-08-2007, 01:57 AM
I was once told that you can get a ticket for something like that, 'defacing government property' or some wack BS like that. Apparently you cant bend, modify, manipulate plates, etc etc.... :confused:

That's EXACTLY what I said to him. "I didn't do that, because I thought it was a federal offence to deface gov't property"

... he looked at me like I was an idiot and asked "where the hell did you hear that?" :(

Old_School
11-09-2007, 07:31 AM
That's EXACTLY what I said to him. "I didn't do that, because I thought it was a federal offence to deface gov't property"

... he looked at me like I was an idiot and asked "where the hell did you hear that?" :(

It better not be a federal offence (though how it'd apply to a Provincial item I don't know).

The only way the plate fits on my M635 is to bend the bottom, cut a slot for the trunk lock AND punch holes for the fasteners.

Boss17
11-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Well i spoke to the prosecutor today and got the ticket thrown out. I showed him the receipt of the plate mounting piece with the order date prior to the ticket. I told him that the cop didn't want to listen to anything i had to say and it seemed like all he wanted to do was write a ticket and clog up the court system.

lvan
11-10-2007, 12:45 AM
But how did you get in touch with a prosecutor. I have one too.

Boss17
11-10-2007, 12:49 AM
You have to go to the office where you submit your form for a court date. Then tell them you would like to speak to a prosecutor before setting a trial date. Prosecutors are available between 8am-11am. They simply call your name and you talk to them.

Eddie

Arash
11-10-2007, 12:50 AM
But how did you get in touch with a prosecutor. I have one too.

when you go to set a trial date, ask them if you can go for a first attendance meeting (most likely they'll ask you if you want to go), you'll have to fill up a form, and they'll send you a letter with your appointment time, you go see the prosecutor, if you can't reach an agreement with him/her then it goes to court and it'll be the same old procedure.

slemmer
11-10-2007, 12:50 AM
congrats on the throw out. At least someone was listening!

Boss17
11-10-2007, 12:54 AM
when you go to set a trial date, ask them if you can go for a first attendance meeting (most likely they'll ask you if you want to go), you'll have to fill up a form, and they'll send you a letter with your appointment time, you go see the prosecutor, if you can't reach an agreement with him/her then it goes to court and it'll be the same old procedure.

You can actually just go between 8am-11am on any given weekday and you should be good. I just walked in today and took care of it.

Yeah the prosecutor was cool. I pretty much gave him a quick explanation of what happened and the circumstances and then he just nodded his head and told me it would be thrown out.

lvan
11-10-2007, 12:57 AM
Nice, I already have printed the picture with a plate on. The problem is , they already that they send me the court date few weeks ago.

Boss17
11-10-2007, 01:42 AM
Just go in on monday morning and try to get a meeting with a prosecutor.

lvan
11-10-2007, 01:54 AM
Awsome. I get Monday off. Beauty!

propr'one
11-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Front plate tickets will usually get dropped if

A) you recently got the car
B) you haven't gotten any other front plate tickets
C) your record is good.

they ARE !!!!!!!!!!!!NOT!!!!!!!!!! fix it tickets, the prosecutor DOES NOT have to drop the ticket even if you show him a picture/reciept/whatever.

Dont go in there demanding he drop it. Be reasonable, show him that you did everything you can to comply with the law, he/she will most likely drop it.

Boss17
11-14-2007, 02:27 AM
Front plate tickets will usually get dropped if

A) you recently got the car
B) you haven't gotten any other front plate tickets
C) your record is good.

they ARE !!!!!!!!!!!!NOT!!!!!!!!!! fix it tickets, the prosecutor DOES NOT have to drop the ticket even if you show him a picture/reciept/whatever.

Dont go in there demanding he drop it. Be reasonable, show him that you did everything you can to comply with the law, he/she will most likely drop it.

Exactly, I just told the prosecutor what happened, why the plate was not where it was supposed to be and he understood and dropped it. No point in going there mad or yelling cause that wouldn't solve anything.

I'm sure that even if you are at fault and just explain yourself in a calm and correct manner, it'll all be good. Don't quote me on that though. lol

lvan
11-14-2007, 03:32 AM
i AGREE. He dropped mine today in Scarborough. Very cool dude.

A) you recently got the car - 2ND DAY after I got a car.
B) you haven't gotten any other front plate tickets, no tickets for the FP
C) your record is good. Yes

shimajer
11-14-2007, 11:46 AM
front plate tickets are the gheyyy

europrince
11-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Congrats on getting the ticket dropped!