PDA

View Full Version : Okay, for Rob's sake I'll post a pic...

GR8 Ride
02-09-2002, 09:47 PM
I know Randy's gonna hate this...but here goes.

GR8 Ride
02-09-2002, 09:48 PM
Okay, now that I'm having fun playing with Photo Editor....here goes.

Pat

GR8 Ride
02-10-2002, 12:45 AM
My car just isn't built for show; it's 100% built for go. I'm not likely to win any concours anytime soon.

The *advertising* is half for productive reasons (I don't have a headliner in my car anymore, so I needed something to block the sunlight, hence the Bavarian Motors on the windshield). The Raven on the hood is just something John and I were BS'ing about one day, and we just decided to see what it looks like.

It's not perfect, but I've kept it on simply because it distinguishes my car from any other white E36 out there. Most of the *regular* members of the club know it now, so it's commonplace.

I do get hassled about the green lights in my headlights though. They were the only color of bulb I could find at Cambodian Tire one evening, so that's what went it (Euro headlights, so the DRLs on them is a low wattage bulb below the high-beams). One of these days, I'll get around to swapping them out.

Pat

GR8 Ride
02-10-2002, 12:56 AM
Well, nothing much to show.

It looks pretty much like a normal BMW engine bay, minus a few, unneccesary items (such as A/C, cruise control, cooling fans etc).

It's still the 2.5L block; haven't installed the 3.2L yet. That's a project for when I sell my boat.

Pat

GR8 Ride
02-10-2002, 11:39 AM
Forced air, while providing lots of power at a *relatively* cheap price, has it's drawbacks.

In the 1/4 mile, it's great, because you only run flat-out for 15 seconds or less. This was always the irony of the drag strip; the better you were, the less *track time* you actually got. The rest of the weekend you sat around tinkering with your car, or hanging with guys/gals who you knew etc.

I used to run 1/4 mile ('87 GN), so I knew the scene well. I find a lot more challenges to myself as a driver on the road course, so I ended up switching.

Forced air on a road car is a little tougher. It's not hard to be reliable, forced air engines for the street, but on the race track, you're either on the gas hard, or you're on the brake hard. The 1-2% of the time in which you're balancing the car with the throttle is pretty minor. This is hard on ANY engine, but significantly more-so with forced air, especially on an engine that wasn't factory designed for forced air.

Most of the long time club racers were using forced air, and having horrendous reliability issues with it. They were extremely quick, but it was quite often when more than one of them couldn't finish a race due to engine failure.

Now, they're pretty much all running N/A motors, with the exception of Botsinis.

I've thought about it, and debated it at length with several people. But the reliability issue keeps coming up, so I'll stick with the 3.2L route.

As I've said to Kev on Teutonic, a lot more time can be found at the track by upgrading the driver, suspension and brakes than by simply upgrading HP. My car is now starting Stage 2 of it's transformation, so I'll be running the same power as last year, but it should be even faster.

Pat

EMPOWERD
02-10-2002, 09:02 PM
Guys... don't test me.

I've got no problem with Raven/Bavarian... if people are willing to pay their prices.. that's their problem, not mine. To each his own.

AzN_E46
02-10-2002, 10:03 PM
huh?? what was the "guys......don't test me" about?? did i miss an argument??i dun seem to see one...:huh?:

Phantom
02-11-2002, 01:57 PM
Rob and Randy do more 'discussing' than most married couples I know. Here's an easy fix to all their 'problems'

"1 Race, 2G buy-in, Winner takes all"....................*th-up*

Just say when 'n' where guys, we'll be there...

Phantom
02-11-2002, 06:51 PM
Forced induction?? Who's talking about cars?? This race is a 100m dash.........ON FOOT !!!!.....................*devil*

MOTRONIX
02-11-2002, 06:59 PM
Hey Pat, car is looking good *th-up*

dave

Gamite
02-11-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Phantom
Forced induction?? Who's talking about cars?? This race is a 100m dash.........ON FOOT !!!!.....................*devil*

LOL~! Can you imagine that?!? haha..

EMPOWERD
02-11-2002, 07:15 PM
The only place I'm running is to a McDonalds! J/K... seriously, I'm on a diet and plan to slim down for the summer (don't laugh!)*no-no*

Gamite
02-11-2002, 08:12 PM
Diet? We'll see about that!~! *CLICK* :D

Marita
02-11-2002, 09:26 PM
nice car pat!!! *th-up*

GR8 Ride
02-11-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by empowerd
The only place I'm running is to a McDonalds! J/K... seriously, I'm on a diet and plan to slim down for the summer (don't laugh!)*no-no*

You and me both buddy. Though I never considered myself really *out of shape*, having OMP Grip's in your car reminds one that hips really DO get wider the older you get....

I was passing a McDonald's on the way home tonight....almost gave into temptation to stop for a Big Mac.

Sigh...Special K for dinner instead....without sugar....

The good thing is though, once I'm in my seats, I'm definately not moving around too much!

Pat