PDA

View Full Version : Amp and Subs Question?

vegabass
11-04-2007, 12:54 AM
Ok guys, a friend of mine has a JL 1000/1 and already has a ID MAX 12" sub. I think it pounds like hell. He wants to go with another one cause he thinks it will play louder. I think it would not make a difference if he added another sub because instead of one sub getting 1000 watts, it would be split 500 watts a sub then. I dont know if that makes sense or not? Please help.

vegabass
11-06-2007, 09:00 PM
anybody??

FuryriderX
11-06-2007, 10:16 PM
ok well ill take a stab at it. and yes your question makes sense.

subs have a recommended power rating, that they'll sound their optimum at. i dont know what it is for the ID MAX. you have a point, that the power will be split 50/50, the issue is, will you still be powering both subs optimally.

doubling the subs = doubling piston area = louder. but only if the amp can drive them.

find out what the recommended power is for the ID MAX, if its 5-700, then go get another one and pound away. but if its 1000+, then you'll be underpowering them and while they may be louder, they wont sound as clean/crisp.

hope that helped!

328IScreamer
11-06-2007, 10:21 PM
he hit the nail on the head.....the surface area of the sub is a key part of what makes it louder which is why 12's are usually louder than 10 ect... the JL 1000/1 is one of the best amps going and can be tweaked in just about every way so make sure your buddy knows what he's doing when setting up the amp to 2 subs vs only one sub. Also ported box's are generall louder than sealed but i would never recomend a ported box, they sound sloppy and don't have as much range

vegabass
11-07-2007, 12:49 PM
ok well ill take a stab at it. and yes your question makes sense.

subs have a recommended power rating, that they'll sound their optimum at. i dont know what it is for the ID MAX. you have a point, that the power will be split 50/50, the issue is, will you still be powering both subs optimally.

doubling the subs = doubling piston area = louder. but only if the amp can drive them.

find out what the recommended power is for the ID MAX, if its 5-700, then go get another one and pound away. but if its 1000+, then you'll be underpowering them and while they may be louder, they wont sound as clean/crisp.

hope that helped!

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/products_page.php?id=idmax&type=sub

It makes sense, the recommended power range should be about 600 rms according to the website.

thanks for the help.

vegabass
11-07-2007, 12:56 PM
he hit the nail on the head.....the surface area of the sub is a key part of what makes it louder which is why 12's are usually louder than 10 ect... the JL 1000/1 is one of the best amps going and can be tweaked in just about every way so make sure your buddy knows what he's doing when setting up the amp to 2 subs vs only one sub. Also ported box's are generall louder than sealed but i would never recomend a ported box, they sound sloppy and don't have as much range

What would you recommend for a hook up, If both subs were dual 2 ohms, what do u think would be the optimal connection to the amp. The amp i believe is stable anywhere from 1.5 to 4 ohms.

thanks for ur help in advance.