PDA

View Full Version : DRL delete on E39, where can i do it?

Xakep
11-02-2007, 05:08 PM
hey guys, tired of the DRL's being on all the time, so i'm wondering if anybody knows where i can get them turned off ? i asked couple of dealers but they said they won't do it for safety reasons, also asked for a sunroof/windows close option from the key, same answer - NO for safety reasons.
but don't new cars come with DRL disabled ? like new 3 series/X5 ?? i see them with just AE's on. do you think i can go to a dealer and point it out when they tell me it's unsafe on my car to do ? while on other cars it's ok..
thanks for any input. Tim

STALKER
11-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Dealers will not do it.
Also, posting who does it on a public forum is a bad idea, as technically its illegal for them to do it, I think...
I will PM you.

myndgone
11-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Cross Avenue Auto in Oakville can do it for $50. Few member from max got it done, you can add few more features while they're doing it, like rolling the windows up from your key fob

Old_School
11-02-2007, 08:26 PM
but don't new cars come with DRL disabled ? like new 3 series/X5 ?? i see them with just AE's on.

That's what is now required for DRL under the law. Unfortunately the DRLs and window/sunroof close requires the BMW software, so the easiest should be the dealer, but it's the law, so they won't do it. Good luck.

Personally, I prefer the DRLs, and drive with my lights on often anyway (they don't make radar work any better, but they do tell the average numpty on the road that you're there). As well, I once got my fingers mashed in an auto-up window, so I think I can see where they come from.

Xakep
11-08-2007, 06:58 PM
what are other options that can be done while i'm at it ? i've heard you can enable a few other useful options ...
some people like their door locks engaged at a certain speed (20km/h?)
or steering wheel not going up when you turn ignition off....

something like that.. just want to know what are other things that can be programed.

bbojangles
11-09-2007, 11:16 AM
how can DRLs make you tired? "sleepy" tired? "sick and tired" tired? When you are driving or a passenger in the car it is absolutely invisible to you if the lights are on or off. I dont get how there can be any downside of DRLs.
and the reason that dealers wont change the DRLs is that it is the LAW... (the law is due to fewer accidents) sheesh.. what is wrong with the lights on?

I am so tired of everyone everywere using "safety" as an excuse to refuse to make improvements. what is unsafe about remote closing of the roof and windows.. the very basic assumption of using the remote to close them means that you are OUT OF REACH of the car. If you are inside the car, it is a million times easier to get pinched in them. If you are 20 feet away with the fob, how on earth is that more dangerous?

europrince
11-09-2007, 11:47 AM
DRL delete is just plain stupid. Its a safety feature.

I have an idea. Let's do airbag delete!

AceOfSpades
11-09-2007, 11:51 AM

why don't you do car delete??

Boots R
11-09-2007, 11:52 AM

Many people do when they upgrade their steering wheel.

europrince
11-09-2007, 12:02 PM
^ Sad reality

Boots R
11-09-2007, 12:07 PM
^ Sad reality

You do realize that airbags aren't 100% safe, right?

AceOfSpades
11-09-2007, 12:10 PM
^ Sad reality

what happens when someone has to wear glasses to drive?

jstalin
11-09-2007, 12:10 PM
why do you want to del your drls? Isn't it illegal?

europrince
11-09-2007, 12:32 PM
what happens when someone has to wear glasses to drive?

What's supposed to happen? What kind of question is that?

AceOfSpades
11-09-2007, 02:35 PM
What's supposed to happen? What kind of question is that?

what will happen if someone is wearing glasses and the airbag goes off during a head on crash?:huh?:

bbojangles
11-09-2007, 04:05 PM
dont be silly.. you can either have your face and glasses smashed into a hard steering wheel or windshield or you can the airbag soften the blow.

Souvrain
11-10-2007, 04:56 PM
mmmmmmm airbag

Arash
11-10-2007, 06:39 PM
what will happen if someone is wearing glasses and the airbag goes off during a head on crash?:huh?:

glasses fly off before airbags hit the face so its safe:D

Sneaky
11-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Angel eyes look way better wiht the Drls off. Plus Angel eyes are brighter then your regular day time lights.

Boots R
11-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Angel eyes look way better wiht the Drls off.
Agreed.

Plus Angel eyes are brighter then your regular day time lights.

uhhh, no they aren't.

Axxe
11-11-2007, 10:01 AM
DRL's FTL. The only reason they are law is because of all the ****ing chumps that never turn their lights on in inclement weather, and those idiots that don't turn their lights on at night. So it's safety for chumps.

Gamite
11-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Apparently Parkview or BMW Toronto will do it, but you have to sign a waiver before they do.

biotek
11-11-2007, 01:35 PM
dont be silly.. you can either have your face and glasses smashed into a hard steering wheel or windshield or you can the airbag soften the blow.

umm or you can wear your seat belt hehe

Sneaky
11-11-2007, 03:16 PM
uhhh, no they aren't.

Mine are, But thats because I guess 6000k DDE's are brigher then a Halogen bulb running at half power.

Old_School
11-11-2007, 08:58 PM
DRL's FTL. The only reason they are law is because of all the ****ing chumps that never turn their lights on in inclement weather, and those idiots that don't turn their lights on at night. So it's safety for chumps.

Don't be a ****stick. Visibility is hugely improved with lights on regardless of conditions. If I have one argument against DRLs it's that "chumps" forget to turn their lights on at night and so their tail-lights are dark while driving. The idiots that don't turn their lights on at night have DRLs, DRLs weren't mandated because people didn't turn their lights on at night.

Trust me, I've actually been driving since well before DRLs (in fact, since you could get leaded gas at most gas stations).

As for the other sub-discussion: airbags. My wife is 5'1". I have some concerns about a device that EXPLODES in her face, especially when airbags have been known to cause death in people who's seat positions were "too close" to the bag.

Axxe
11-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Don't be a ****stick. Visibility is hugely improved with lights on regardless of conditions. If I have one argument against DRLs it's that "chumps" forget to turn their lights on at night and so their tail-lights are dark while driving. The idiots that don't turn their lights on at night have DRLs, DRLs weren't mandated because people didn't turn their lights on at night.

Trust me, I've actually been driving since well before DRLs (in fact, since you could get leaded gas at most gas stations).

As for the other sub-discussion: airbags. My wife is 5'1". I have some concerns about a device that EXPLODES in her face, especially when airbags have been known to cause death in people who's seat positions were "too close" to the bag.

I see you carry your age well. Calling people "****stick" really shows how mature, smart, and experienced you are.

On a bright, sunny day, there is absolutely NO need for lights to be on.

Also, next time turn your wheels the OTHER way for a picture, no need to show off the second rate tires you've got on. It also looks better on pictures to have the wheels turned the other way, A LOT better.

Boots R
11-11-2007, 09:37 PM

If you can't see a car without lights in broad daylight, you shouldn't be driving.

Arash
11-11-2007, 10:02 PM
My wife is 5'1". I have some concerns about a device that EXPLODES in her face
ROFL!! am I the only one that finds this hilarious?!?!? :D

Axxe
11-11-2007, 10:17 PM

I lol'd about that too, but this guy is serious BUZINESS!!

Old_School
11-11-2007, 10:18 PM
I see you carry your age well. Calling people "****stick" really shows how mature, smart, and experienced you are.

On a bright, sunny day, there is absolutely NO need for lights to be on.

Also, next time turn your wheels the OTHER way for a picture, no need to show off the second rate tires you've got on. It also looks better on pictures to have the wheels turned the other way, A LOT better.

Sorry, "****stick" is an approved "crotchey old man" term. We don't expect you young'ns to understand or approve. Just live with it.

Lights improve visibility in all conditions. That's a simple fact. I know everyone here is fully convinced of his (or her) own driving competence, but DRLs are for the OTHER guy. The one driving the '96 Taurus who can't figure out his heater controls. Or the young dude in the riced-up Subie rooting around in the passenger footwell for the Belly CD that slipped out of his hand (ok, DRLs wouldn't be as effective as a James Bond integeral rocket launcher in this case). Or the boy in the E36, thinking he's kewel, who leans back and knocks his backwards baseball cap askew with the headrest. Or the tool in the pickup trying to talk on his cell.

Then again, maybe it's a sign of my age. I can't fathom why a DRL delete is necessary. Is the car less "kewel" with DRLs? Is it like having 20" wheels? If you want that effect just jam a broomstick up your ass and drag it on the pavement under your car.

I don't be understanding. I guess the generation gap is too wide.

As for my sig pic: yeah, I know it's "wrong." I didn't want to show off the second rate tires I have. The Pirellis on Alpina wheels on the M635 are probably older than you are, and that embarrasses me. I'll put up a better pic when I'm more secure in my aging manhood. Thanks for pointing that out though.

Old_School
11-11-2007, 10:20 PM

Careful sonny. That's my wife you're "loling" about!

Arash
11-11-2007, 10:33 PM
you be careful grandpa, thats my buddy u called "****stick". You come here and throw insults at people for no apparant reason other than difference in opinions, be prepared to get insulted.

jameswbl
11-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Don't Do It

Old_School
11-11-2007, 11:26 PM
you be careful grandpa, thats my buddy u called "****stick". You come here and throw insults at people for no apparant reason other than difference in opinions, be prepared to get insulted.

Ooh sonny. Wanna fight?:D

I'm pretty well able to deal with whatever simple words you think might insult me. Don't you worry.

In fact, I didn't call your buddy a "****stick," I told him not to be one. It's a subtle difference, I realize, but maybe I gave some of you too much credit for being able to make the distinction?

In any case, the issue of whether lights on (or DRL) = greater visibility isn't a difference of opinion. It's a fact. Perhaps when you have more time driving than you had potty training you'll be able to figure that out. :moon:

Am I a bad man for enjoying this too much?*wave*

Have I used enough "emoticons" to put you in your comfort zone?

Arash
11-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Lol, you are pathetic.

Boots R
11-12-2007, 01:47 AM
Ooh sonny. Wanna fight?:D

I'm pretty well able to deal with whatever simple words you think might insult me. Don't you worry.

In fact, I didn't call your buddy a "****stick," I told him not to be one. It's a subtle difference, I realize, but maybe I gave some of you too much credit for being able to make the distinction?

In any case, the issue of whether lights on (or DRL) = greater visibility isn't a difference of opinion. It's a fact. Perhaps when you have more time driving than you had potty training you'll be able to figure that out. :moon:

Am I a bad man for enjoying this too much?*wave*

Have I used enough "emoticons" to put you in your comfort zone?

In broad daylight, the difference is negligible.

Are you seriosuly trying to say it's hard for people to see a car without lights on in the middle of the day?

Old_School
11-12-2007, 03:00 PM
In broad daylight, the difference is negligible.

Are you seriosuly trying to say it's hard for people to see a car without lights on in the middle of the day?

No - I'm saying that lights on improves your visibility to others in all conditions. Motorcycle riders have known this for a long time - long before DRLs. And while cars are certainly more visible than bikes, some are less visible than others, even in broad daylight. With the wide variety of driver skill levels out there, and increasing number of in-car distractions, being seen more easily is a good thing.

I'm also skeptical that the proponents of DRL delete actually turn their lights on in sub-optimal conditions - maybe in snow/fog and certainly at night (well, maybe not certainly given some "modded" cars I've seen at night), but even overcast? Now that cars turn the lights on for you, most people have even forgotten where the switches are.

Anyway, not much point to the discussion as there are folks out there who'll happly do illegal mods for reasons I can't fathom. Why the DRL delete? No-one has bothered to explain why they'd want to do it - 'cept maybe an allusion to avoiding being spotted as easily by the law. Or do they have some belief that lights on will run down the battery?

Another reason I'm a strong supporter of annual vehicle safety inspections.

Sneaky
11-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Why the DRL delete? No-one has bothered to explain why they'd want to do it - 'cept maybe an allusion to avoiding being spotted as easily by the law. Or do they have some belief that lights on will run down the battery?

Its simple, Angel eyes look better without your DRL's on.

http://wheeltalk.fancal.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/bmw1.jpg

AceOfSpades
11-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Anyway, not much point to the discussion as there are folks out there who'll happly do illegal mods for reasons I can't fathom. Why the DRL delete? No-one has bothered to explain why they'd want to do it - 'cept maybe an allusion to avoiding being spotted as easily by the law. Or do they have some belief that lights on will run down the battery?

DRL delete pwns, granpa!
My car would look 100x better without 10lights evenly distributed between two sides
It consumes less energy, less pollution:D
Also as said before, if someone can't see a car without DRL, they need serious optical help!

myndgone
11-13-2007, 12:36 AM
Its simple, Angel eyes look better without your DRL's on.

http://wheeltalk.fancal.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/bmw1.jpg

there, he said it...i dont want drl's, i'll turn my own lights on because I like the way angel eyes look with fogs and without drl's, thats why I'm doing it...

propr'one
11-13-2007, 01:04 PM
i'm not going to argue with you tweedlebirds, except for stating that
A) you guys get way to defensive about everything
B) you're all wrong. deleting DRL's isn't illeagal, there's nothing in the HTA about it. A car must have DRL's to be IMPORTED into ontario. Once its here you can do whatever the **** you want.

Boots R
11-13-2007, 01:50 PM
B) you're all wrong. deleting DRL's isn't illeagal, there's nothing in the HTA about it. A car must have DRL's to be IMPORTED into ontario. Once its here you can do whatever the **** you want.

Truth. The only mention about lights needing to be turned on is:

Lamps required on all motor vehicles except motorcycles

62. (1) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (1).

Arash
11-13-2007, 02:02 PM
^^ hah! so if you have one light out in the back they can't ticket you for it, since they only require one red light in the rear!

Max_VQ
11-14-2007, 10:54 PM
Dealers will not do it.
Also, posting who does it on a public forum is a bad idea, as technically its illegal for them to do it, I think...
I will PM you.

I don't think it is. There is no mention of DRL in the HTA.
(http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm)

My understanding that every new car sold must have working DRL, BUT legally you can disable your own DRL.

Axxe
11-14-2007, 11:16 PM
^^ hah! so if you have one light out in the back they can't ticket you for it, since they only require one red light in the rear!

Not quite, unfortunately the laws are skewed on this matter. "If you have the light, it has to work" is what you'll here from MTO officers (like at truck scales, 5000 lights but if one is out they can issue a fix-it or un-fit citation).

Old_School
11-15-2007, 09:53 PM
DRL delete pwns, granpa!
My car would look 100x better without 10lights evenly distributed between two sides
It consumes less energy, less pollution:D
Also as said before, if someone can't see a car without DRL, they need serious optical help!

Sorry sonny. I speak English, French, Russian and a bit of Arabic. I have no idea what you just said.:) (pwns???) Less energy? Well, maybe, but the last time I checked the alternator pretty much sucked the power it needed from the engine regardless of the accessories active - you can achieve more by not using your AC. Any Greenies up for that?

On the vision thing, I can only say that "lights on" has been something advocated for a lot longer than I've been driving. But if you think it's just a case of whether YOU can see a car or not in any given condions I guess I won't be changing your mind.

As for "Angel eyes" they achieve a similar effect to DRLs (and if buddy's pic above is any indication, the fogs/"driving lights" are on at the same time, so no foul).

As far as law goes, DRLs are a TC mandated feature, so you won't see mention of them in the HTA. The poster above who said it doesn't matter once you have the car registered in Ontario is right though, at least until you have to get the car safetied for sale. The same rules that allow you to share the road with rusted out Fords, bald tire pickups and minivans with metal-on-metal brakes.

But God help you if you drive a well-sorted car over 100 km/h on a limited access highway.

Boots R
11-16-2007, 12:04 AM
As far as law goes, DRLs are a TC mandated feature, so you won't see mention of them in the HTA. The poster above who said it doesn't matter once you have the car registered in Ontario is right though, at least until you have to get the car safetied for sale. The same rules that allow you to share the road with rusted out Fords, bald tire pickups and minivans with metal-on-metal brakes.

Man, where are you getting this info. You don't need DRL's to pass a safety.

A Safety falls under the HTA. It says so on the back of the slip:

THE HIGHWAY TRAFFIC ACT REQUIRES THE INSPECTION OF THE FOLLOWING EQUIPMENT:.