PDA

View Full Version : winter is coming and remote starter

summit425
10-30-2007, 12:38 AM
winter is coming and pretty much I have to park my car outside when I am at the school.

so.. I am thinking of getting a remote starter.

what do you think? is it worth to get one?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6670505&type=product&id=1083710247578

Since my car doesn't have an alarm I think it is good to get one with an alarm.

Remote starter won't harm my car right?

abc12
10-30-2007, 09:35 AM
not a bad idea... but only if ur car is automatic for this specific alarm/remote starter as it says for this model..."Compatible with most fuel-injected, automatic-transmission vehicles"

Axxe
10-30-2007, 09:39 AM
Remote start is pretty shitty. Most people think that if your car is idling for 10 mins you can start reefing on it, which is NOT true.

abc12
10-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Remote start is pretty shitty. Most people think that if your car is idling for 10 mins you can start reefing on it, which is NOT true.

yeah, that's probably true..

as for me... i usually just start and go... warm it up as i drive.... keep the revs low of course...it's the best way actually.... well the way i see it...

Big T
10-30-2007, 10:50 AM

I'm getting one just to use to keep warm, im so skinny and i dont like the winter lol..

hey btw.. is tht your red E30 i always see @UW..very nice

shimajer
10-30-2007, 11:05 AM
geez lol we dont need to warm up those cars.. dont be such babies lolll

Axxe
10-30-2007, 11:07 AM
I'm getting one just to use to keep warm, im so skinny and i dont like the winter lol..

hey btw.. is tht your red E30 i always see @UW..very nice

Nope. I'm driving a red '94 civic hatch (100% stock).

Mystikal
10-30-2007, 05:48 PM
A remote starter used to warm up the car is bad for all gasoline engined vehicles. The oil will be warm, while the rest of the driveline is bone cold; a potentially harmful situation. Just start the car, and let it sit for a max of 30 seconds.

My M3 came with a remote starter / security system. I just press the start button as I am walking out the house, eliminating any "warming time". The only time I like the starter is if the car is already warm after a drive and I am going in somewhere for a short period of time. I have the flexibility of either leaving the car running without the key (undriveable), or remote starting a minute early so the cockpit is warm when I get in. Pretty cool for that.

Jay

koncise
10-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Good points, Jay.

But at the same time, screw them. I'm more important than my car (and definitely the environment) and I wanna be f*$%in warm!