PDA

View Full Version : broken intake rocker arm

lanciaf1
10-28-2007, 12:28 PM
On friday I was on my way to work and i was pulling hard in second gear when i heard a "ting" sound coming from the motor. The engine ran like it was missing on on cylinder. Latter that night i pulled the rocker cover off and notice the intake rocker on cylinder 5 was broken in half:( Can i change the rocker arm with the head on the car or do i have to remove the head? Can it be done with the cam sprocket still on? please help:eek:

Striker
10-28-2007, 01:58 PM
You can but its a BPITA, I would pull the head, change gasket, timing belt etc as I am in there. Also look at the other arms to see what condition they are in, the cam more than likely damaged as well depending how the upper half with the rocker surface exited.

lanciaf1
10-29-2007, 10:49 PM
Well I replaced the broken rocker arm and without removing the head (under instruction from Rocco). I didnt even remove the rad :D While I was there I decided to re-gap all the valves and now i have a good running six cylinder.*rockout* heres some pics of the repair.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p28/giulianot/canoeingjuly14-15028.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p28/giulianot/canoeingjuly14-15031.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p28/giulianot/canoeingjuly14-15032.jpg

El Gato Liso
10-29-2007, 11:38 PM
was this problem causing a constand ticking from the motor, which got louder and faster under high rpms?

cuz if it did...i think i have a busted rocker arm too...yikes

craz azn
10-30-2007, 12:20 AM
LanciaF1 - How did you move the rocker shaft? Is that just me or is that all the metal shavings inside the cylinder head in those pics?

El Gato Liso - The m20 motor is generally speaking a loud motor. Worn camshafts also contribute a bit to the 'ticking' noise, as well as noisy clicking injectors. Have a valve adjustment done on your car. It will help make the noises less noticeable.

lanciaf1
10-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Actually the broken rocker arm was making a ticking noise but it was also running on 5 cylinders. I used different lengths of 1/2" ss tubbing and a pry bar to push out the rocker bar. And no there should be no shavings in my motor. I tried to be as careful as possible when prying. I did an oil change after the procedure to flush out any dirt that might have gotten in there.

P.S. thanks for the advice Rocco. *th-up*

Axxe
10-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Giuliano?

El Gato Liso
10-30-2007, 10:46 AM
LanciaF1 - How did you move the rocker shaft? Is that just me or is that all the metal shavings inside the cylinder head in those pics?

El Gato Liso - The m20 motor is generally speaking a loud motor. Worn camshafts also contribute a bit to the 'ticking' noise, as well as noisy clicking injectors. Have a valve adjustment done on your car. It will help make the noises less noticeable.

...i guess valve adjustment aint for the average car person huh...

thats okay im beyond average. but i have never done motor work like this before!

i guess ill have to forfeit and bring it in to a shop...normally i am a DIY'er

lanciaf1
10-30-2007, 12:28 PM
el gato liso , Gapping the valves is not too difficult, all you need is a feeler gauge and your bentley manual, and some time.*th-up*