PDA

View Full Version : e34 carrier bearing trouble

John W
10-24-2007, 04:56 PM
So when I'm driving and i give the car a little gas after stopping at a light there seems to be a thumping sound coming from the center of the car, I've been told that this could be my carrier bearing anyone ever change out one of these before by themselves? Should I take it in to get it done and where? How much do you guys think it would run me? the car is a 91 525i auto by the way.

John W
10-27-2007, 10:16 AM
So i took a look under the car this morning and i think my problem is the flex disk or guibo. its completely torn to shit, threads are sticking out. missing big chunks in it so im gonna take a guess and say this is causing my problem but i'll have to pull out the drive shaft and see if there is anything else i should replace. anyone have experience in pulling out drive shafts, any advice would be nice.

BigD
10-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Just because your flex disc is toast it doesn't mean the center bearing isn't. If you can actually FEEL the thump in your butt - ie the driveshaft is hitting the floor as you apply gas in a high torque gear, it's the center bearing. It's not a difficult job but it can be annoying the first time. The only real pain is dropping the exhaust, since it'll be rusted to hell and back.

John W
10-28-2007, 10:53 AM
ya the exhaust is probably going to be a pain in the ass but its surprisingly not very rusted, in fact the catalytic converter looks fairly new so i think some of the exhaust was replaced. My main concern is that i don't really want to mess up my drive shaft, but i guess i wont really know what to replace until i pull it out.

BigD
10-28-2007, 11:25 AM
ya the exhaust is probably going to be a pain in the ass but its surprisingly not very rusted, in fact the catalytic converter looks fairly new so i think some of the exhaust was replaced. My main concern is that i don't really want to mess up my drive shaft, but i guess i wont really know what to replace until i pull it out.

If you've never done it before just make sure you follow every procedure to a tee. The hardest part of replacing the center bearing is getting it off. It's pressure fit and without specialized tools it's, for all intents and purposes, impossible to get it off without cutting it but it sounds like yours has taken care of that by itself. Then once the bearing is separate from the rubber mount, use a puller to get it off (don't forget to remove the circlip at the front).

The important bit here is to pull it off, you have to separate the driveshaft. Put clear, fresh markings that you will not mistake for anything and leave no confusion (ie they really line up, not kinda sorta line up, cause you'll end up kinda sorta lining them up later too). You gotta put it back together the way it came apart or you will likely introduce an annoying vibration.