PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ Buying Used Process

wvt
10-23-2007, 12:08 AM
hey does anybody know what i have to do to buy a used vehicle from a private sale? . . the person i am buying it from is a wealthy person who is really busy. he gave me a good deal on a bmw but i have to do all the paper work. i went to the ministry of transportation website and read i have to get a UVIP (used vehicle information package) . . is this the only way to buy the vehicle? and how long is the wait to do all the paper work and finalize the transaction?

thanks sorry for the noob question >.<

-will

e30_kid89
10-23-2007, 12:15 AM
www.mto.gov.on.ca

summit425
10-23-2007, 12:27 AM
The seller has to buy a package which cost $20.

Well even he is busy I think he has to go with you to DMV ontario.

Otherwise who knows if you point the gun to his head and make him sign the paper?? j/k

Boots R
10-23-2007, 12:37 AM
He needs to fill out and sign the back of the "Vehicle portion" of the ownership (the left portion). It consists of writing in your name, address, etc.

Truthfully, you can fill all of this out, as long as he has signed his portion.

Then you complete the bottom half. All of this can be done in the comfort of his living room. No trips to the MTO needed.

The seller doesn't have to purchase the UVIP. You can purchase one at the time of the ownership transferral, or you can purchase it in advance, at a Kiosk, or in person at an MTO office.

Before you can transfer the vehicle in your name, you must have proof of insurance, an Emissions test completed within the last year, and a safety inspection done on the vehicle within 36 days of transferral. Also, you'll have to pay tax on the value of the car. It will show the value on the UVIP.

Before you ask "How do I get insurance on a vehicle that's not mine?" Easy. call your insurance company and give them the VIN number. They will insure you under that VIN number, and probably fax you a copy of the insurance slip. However, I just used my insurance from my previous vehicle, because it was under the same policy number.

Then they'll give you plates (which you'll pay for).

Long story short, he doesn't need to make any trips to the MTO for you.

T.Dot_E30
10-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Yup you don't really need him for everything, just make sure you get the car checked out.

If he isn't selling it to you safetied and e-tested then, get it inspected, to see if it needs anything for a safety, if it does you can usually bargin down the price, but you'll need his co-operation to bring it to a shop.

Other than that he just has to sign the ownership, its a good idea for you to make up a bill of sale (or use the one in the UVIP) and get him to sign the bill of sale.

wvt
10-23-2007, 08:38 PM
hey thanks a lot you guys!!! . . im kinda confused tho when you said:
"He needs to fill out and sign the back of the "Vehicle portion" of the ownership (the left portion). It consists of writing in your name, address, etc."
what is this form is this the UVIP ? and i can purchase this package right ? it doesnt need to be him . . i just bring the VIN and thats it right?

sorry about the questions!

will

trev0006
10-23-2007, 08:54 PM
DMV website is your friend :)

Boots R
10-23-2007, 09:33 PM
hey thanks a lot you guys!!! . . im kinda confused tho when you said:
"He needs to fill out and sign the back of the "Vehicle portion" of the ownership (the left portion). It consists of writing in your name, address, etc."
what is this form is this the UVIP ? and i can purchase this package right ? it doesnt need to be him . . i just bring the VIN and thats it right?

sorry about the questions!

will

No problem. When I referred to the ownership, I meant the "certificate of ownership". Here's a picture:

http://www.bluemaple.ca/images/ownership.jpg

Notice how there is a left and a right side. The left is the vehicle portion. The right side is the plate portion, and is of no need for you. The back side of the vehicle portion is what needs to be filled out.

Also, yes, you can purchase a UVIP yourself. All you need is 20 dollars and the VIN number.

wvt
10-23-2007, 09:36 PM
damn your quick! . .thanks a lot! i dunno if this forum has the +rep thing but if it does please let me know how to give u!

will

papo
10-24-2007, 12:17 AM
Yup you don't really need him for everything, just make sure you get the car checked out.

If he isn't selling it to you safetied and e-tested then, get it inspected, to see if it needs anything for a safety, if it does you can usually bargin down the price, but you'll need his co-operation to bring it to a shop.

Other than that he just has to sign the ownership, its a good idea for you to make up a bill of sale (or use the one in the UVIP) and get him to sign the bill of sale.

Make Sure u get the UVIP FIRST...just in case there are leins or outstanding loans on the car*rockout*

Boots R
10-24-2007, 01:09 AM
damn your quick! . .thanks a lot! i dunno if this forum has the +rep thing but if it does please let me know how to give u!

will

haha, unfortunately no, but glad to help. *th-up*

europrince
10-24-2007, 01:00 PM
perhaps it doesn't apply here, but a thorough inspection of the car at a shop neutral to the buyer and seller is important.

Old_School
10-24-2007, 09:30 PM
If the seller doesn't have time to do some stuff, maybe you should look elsewhere. If he wants to sell, and he's "wealthy" but "too busy" maybe he should get one of his "people" to do his part of the admin.

+1 to the point about the inspection. Also, depending on what the UVP shows for the vehicle history, you may want to get a Carfax or the Canadian equivalent (get it from CAA). UVP only shows Ontario history, so if the car was not here for its entire life you won't have the full story.

However much you think that this car is "the one" please take the advice and do the homework and pay for the inspections. If you can't afford the $250-odd that it may cost for all of that stuff, you probably can't afford the car (unless it's a real beater). Purchase price is only part of what a "good deal" really is.