PDA

View Full Version : Importing a car from US

Danila318is
10-17-2007, 06:46 PM
Has anybody done that? In order to pass the federal inspection I need a "recall clearance" letter. Any idea where, besides official BMW US dealer I can get it?

UltimateDriv
10-17-2007, 06:52 PM
bmw.com

follow the links to "contact us" and just request it. you may have to call the 1-800 #

ChrisTO
10-17-2007, 11:04 PM
of course then BMW NA will ask which dealer sold the car and BAM...that dealer potentially loses their franchise agreement.

so out of curiosity - which dealer has agreed to sell you a car? most will say no to a Canadian. and if your dealer is willing to sell...let me know!!!!

Boots R
10-17-2007, 11:15 PM
of course then BMW NA will ask which dealer sold the car and BAM...that dealer potentially loses their franchise agreement.

so out of curiosity - which dealer has agreed to sell you a car? most will say no to a Canadian. and if your dealer is willing to sell...let me know!!!!

Who said it was a brand new car?

Every car you import from the US needs a recall clearance letter.

Meegis
10-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Canadians can buy them... All that needs to be done is have the vehicle registered in the state it was purchased, post registration, the vehicle can be exported like any other private property.

Lots of loopholes, just need the help from someone willing to do it and someone you can trust.

trev0006
10-17-2007, 11:32 PM
seems like too much work.

Georgie
10-17-2007, 11:45 PM
either canadian tire, any canadian BMW dealership, (which charges 500 for the letter 14-20 business days to get it, programs day time running lights and other control modules u may need to reprogram, and checkes over the vehicle to see if all the vins are good and that they match, and a general check over of the vehicle) or any small shop thats allowed to do it.....

BlitzSix
10-18-2007, 12:48 AM
seems like too much work.

How is it too much work? Depending on the car, you can save over 10 grand easy, especially with the exchange rate. A few days worth of work/research/etc to save 10 grand is not much. You may also get a car that has never seen winter depending on where you buy from which is always a plus. AND you get a vacation out of it (assuming you fly down to buy it, and drive back you can stay at hotels and check out the cities along the way home).

stiffy
10-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Here are a couple of helpful links - one from Ebay and the other from Bimmerforums, the Canadian section. You will pay duty on cars made outside the US, have to get DRL's and insure the speedo registers in km/hr. I'm seriously thinking of buying south of the border when my lease is up - lots of money to be saved right now.

http://pages.ebay.ca/ebaymotors/expl...owtobuyUS.html

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=813438