PDA

View Full Version : ABS light, Safety test

BimmerboyPH
10-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Im interested in buying a 1994 BMW 325i, but there are two questions I have. The seller told me the ABS light is on, so do you guys have any ideas as to why it is and how much it would cost to fix? And secondly the car needs to be safety and E tested, so about how much does this cost and where can I go to have it done?

Thanks in advance, Phil

e30bim
10-17-2007, 01:16 PM
ABS Light is a problem I have too. You just need to install a new ABS sensor after scanning which one is faulty. Can be done by you if you know how to use a wrench and take a wheel off. You just need to get someone to scan it for you to read the fault. $100 probably to get the light to go away. Here is a link to a place I might buy mine off of.

http://www.rmeuropean.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=141

dtthiaga
10-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Im interested in buying a 1994 BMW 325i, but there are two questions I have. The seller told me the ABS light is on, so do you guys have any ideas as to why it is and how much it would cost to fix? And secondly the car needs to be safety and E tested, so about how much does this cost and where can I go to have it done?
Thanks in advance, Phil

I wouldn't buy the car if any of the following lights are on. ABS, AirBag, Check Engine Light, or Traction Control (if it has it). Could result it costly repairs.

What's the price of the car & mileage. If the price is not cheap, then it should be fixed before hand. Have the car inspected first, qet a quote to fix it, and beat the selling price down.

ABS Light - could be ABS Module, Wheel Speed Sensors etc.

Never buy a car with out a valid and recent E-Test. I stress recent (1 month) because if you don't have a recent test, then you could now be buying a BMW with bad O2 sensors etc.

Since buying an old BMW is risky, the more ideal situation is, no error codes/dash lights lit, recent valid test, and valid safety certificate, and an inspection by a mechanic.

cisco911
10-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Just get the car fully checked before buying it. Just because a car comes with a safety and an emission test does not mean it is safe and passes emissions. There are alot of scams out there.

As for the ABS...could be just a sensor, could be module. Most likely its the sensor.

BimmerboyPH
10-17-2007, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't buy the car if any of the following lights are on. ABS, AirBag, Check Engine Light, or Traction Control (if it has it). Could result it costly repairs.

What's the price of the car & mileage. If the price is not cheap, then it should be fixed before hand. Have the car inspected first, qet a quote to fix it, and beat the selling price down.

ABS Light - could be ABS Module, Wheel Speed Sensors etc.

Never buy a car with out a valid and recent E-Test. I stress recent (1 month) because if you don't have a recent test, then you could now be buying a BMW with bad O2 sensors etc.

Since buying an old BMW is risky, the more ideal situation is, no error codes/dash lights lit, recent valid test, and valid safety certificate, and an inspection by a mechanic.

The car is really cheap, thats what grabbed my attention, and its only got 170000 k on it. Im taking one of my friends who is a mechanic down to inspect it on Friday, so we will see what happens.