PDA

View Full Version : break lights

srdjE30
10-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Hey guys,

I have this not so funny problem...the little bulb for break lights on the top is turned on and my break lights dont work...so i replaced the fuse and the bulbs and still they dont work !! what could be the problem???? thxxx*uzi*

supernaught
10-17-2007, 10:24 AM
check your brake light switch. When you depress the brake pedal, you should hear a slight click as the switch is hit by the pedal. You may have to get out your meter.
By default, the brake light warning light will come on when you start the car. You depress the pedal and the light goes out. Most likely this is the problem. Check first for voltage at the switch. There should be a connector you can remove and make sure you have ~12V across the pins.
Your switch may be bad, or not making good contact with the pedal. Try to manually hit the switch with your finger, and have someone check the lights.
Use your wiring schematics to see where the wires go next but most likely this is your problem.

BmW1819
10-17-2007, 11:46 PM
yea it's your brake light switch :) common problem on the e36 not sure about the e30 but i bet it is that problem

craz azn
10-18-2007, 12:03 AM
common on the later e30s. the earlier e30 have a beefer switch, but different plug than the newer ones. Easy to retrofit the old style into the later cars though

markw
10-18-2007, 12:12 AM
I'd also say it's the switch, mine went about 8 months ago. Real easy fix, hell, I did it! (that's saying a lot..lol)