PDA

View Full Version : engine wash

320ie36
10-15-2007, 06:34 PM
does anyone know what paerts u have to cover towash your engine

jeffrie
10-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Nothing, I'v used a high pressure steam washer on my engine many times over everything non sparingly and never have had a problem from doing so.

2002guy
10-16-2007, 09:09 PM
cover ur alternator cause water and electricity dont go well together and make sure you dont get water in through the intake

vadim321go
10-17-2007, 04:04 PM
if ur asking the question, i highly suggest not doing it yourself. the potential costs associated with getting water into the wrong parts of ur engine bay far exceeds the cost of getting some1 else to do it for you.

marginal cost > marginal benefit

maxevo
01-18-2008, 09:57 AM
i need one of those

ShortShifter
04-22-2008, 05:45 PM
It depends on what mods you have. On a stock engine all you need to cover or dont spray water directly on is your alternator. Also make sure your spark plugs are in nice and tight. I know someone with a volvo who had a couple of loose ones and water got in his engine...but thats rare...

The best thing to use is a pressure washer because it gives you maximum pressure without dumping gallons of water on your engine. But if you do use a pressure washer watch out for all your stickers....it will blow them right off!!

Hope that helps.

dbworld4k
04-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Where is the alternator located on our cars?

propr'one
04-22-2008, 05:53 PM
The cowl directly in the middle of our cars (covers the rad) has a hose running to the alt (alt cooling duct)

ShortShifter
04-22-2008, 05:59 PM
The cowl directly in the middle of our cars (covers the rad) has a hose running to the alt (alt cooling duct)

Yes...

ShortShifter
04-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Here is a very detailed diagram....

ShortShifter
04-22-2008, 06:07 PM
Here is a zoomed in picture of the inside of mine...

propr'one
04-22-2008, 08:04 PM
^^stang?

Mickey Knox
04-23-2008, 10:15 AM
looks like cobra, but it also looks like it doesnt need a engine wash, more a white glove and a dust brush if that.

i love clean engine bays*rockout**rockout*

propr'one
04-23-2008, 04:43 PM
^^i'm #1 opponent to pouring water on your engine. There's no reason for it, at BEST it MIGHT not **** anything up. There's better ways of cleaning an engine.

bimmerjoe
04-24-2008, 12:45 AM
if its a bmw you dont need to cover a thing... the washbay guys do it every day to every bmw that rolls into the dealership and gets a courtesy wash.. just a lil engine degreaser then powerwash that bitch.. when your done a lil tire shine and a rag makes it look pimp

ShortShifter
04-24-2008, 09:09 AM
^^i'm #1 opponent to pouring water on your engine. There's no reason for it, at BEST it MIGHT not **** anything up. There's better ways of cleaning an engine.

He's an angry elf...

propr'one
04-24-2008, 09:13 AM
^^go ask your mechanic what he thinks of just dousing your engine bay with water.

if you think the dealer actually gives a **** about the long term benefit/cost to you of what they do to your car, you are sorely mistaken.

jstalin
04-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Wrap any wires/electrical components with Tin foil before spraying and you should be safe

ShortShifter
04-24-2008, 12:37 PM
^^go ask your mechanic what he thinks of just dousing your engine bay with water.

I did..he said its no biggy...*rockout*

Bullet Ride
04-24-2008, 04:55 PM
I pressure wash the engine compartment once a year (in the spring) on both my cars, using a cleaning solution first, then again to rinse it. Haven't had any problems yet, been doing it for a few years now. However I'm driving e39's not an e36.

HoldenC
04-25-2008, 10:07 AM
if its a bmw you dont need to cover a thing... the washbay guys do it every day to every bmw that rolls into the dealership and gets a courtesy wash.. just a lil engine degreaser then powerwash that bitch.. when your done a lil tire shine and a rag makes it look pimp

And the washbay guys have your best interests at heart, right? There is an expression to describe how dealers care for vehicles, it's called Dealer Installed Swirls.

propr'one
04-25-2008, 10:17 AM
I did..he said its no biggy...*rockout*

your mechanic sucks.

countrybimm
04-25-2008, 01:46 PM
its not a dirtbike...and beemers have sensors everywhere.....clean it by hand, its time consuming but safe...

Gamite
04-25-2008, 04:27 PM
I'd advise you not to use a pressure washer. It's completely unnecessary. A garden hose will suffice.

Cover any electrical parts with a plastic bag or something similar. This includes fuse box, ecu, air intake.

Rinse your engine down with water, and then spray some degreaser to get off the tough spots. You don't want any concentration of degreaser cuz it will stain the metal parts. For those really bad spots, you can use a brush to loosen the dirt. Rinse it off, and start your car right away. It will dry up any water where you don't want it.

Worst case scenario is your car won't start cuz something got wet that shouldn't have. Just wait for the car to dry up, and try again.

bimmerjoe
04-25-2008, 08:15 PM
And the washbay guys have your best interests at heart, right? There is an expression to describe how dealers care for vehicles, it's called Dealer Installed Swirls.

i was talking about washing the engine, but your 100% right about the dealer installed swirls... when i pick up one of the mits all i see is sand and grit on them and they drop it on the floor then keep washing the car **** its worth crying about!

ShortShifter
04-28-2008, 09:14 AM
I'd advise you not to use a pressure washer. It's completely unnecessary. A garden hose will suffice.

I would much prefer to use a pressure washer because it uses a lot less water.

HoldenC
04-28-2008, 09:44 AM
I would much prefer to use a pressure washer because it uses a lot less water.

There are arguments to be made both ways. I personally like that a pressure washer will use less water when cleaning the engine but the pressure scares me in the hands of a newbie.

ShortShifter
04-28-2008, 10:08 AM
There are arguments to be made both ways. I personally like that a pressure washer will use less water when cleaning the engine but the pressure scares me in the hands of a newbie.

Then dont let a newbie use a pressure washer on your bimmer...*no-no*