PDA

View Full Version : timing belt

hadesm5
10-15-2007, 02:15 PM
i plan to change the timing belt on my m20 soon. i also plan on changing the v-belts. before i do so i have a few questions.

1. what else should i change while i'm doing this?
2. it is recommended that i change the water pump as well, but how do i know if my water pump needs to be changed (what are indicaters of a shitty waterpump?)
3. is there anything else i should be aware of?

thanks. and if anyone has a water pump in good condition for sale, plz let me kno

FuryriderX
10-15-2007, 03:34 PM
1. You can change the camshaft seal, cap+rotor, thermostat, coolant hoses, radiator, clutch fan, and waterpump. (there may be more but thats what i can think of offhand.)

2. Just change it. if it goes out you have to do the WHOLE JOB all over again. Worn out water pumps will drip water. (e.g. you will have coolant on the ground when you park)

3. I HIGHLY recommend you take out the radiator and remove the hood to do this job. it makes it a million times easier. also, look up a DIY. this (http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1889) will get you started.

Good luck! And budget a whole day to get it done, if you havent done it before.

dgmorr
10-15-2007, 03:35 PM
just feel if the water pump bearing spins smoothly, but you might as welll do it anyway. If you want to go further, you can do the entire uppper head seals (expect another 4-6 hours)
- valve stem seals
- cams seals
- rocker shaft end plugs
- misc. gaskets

The entire kit is about $140 from autopartsonlinecanada. If you have an entire weekend, and have the head off anyway, it might be worth your time.

hadesm5
10-15-2007, 05:41 PM
thanks much appreciated. I am gonna swap my rad for a better one too. So what does this kit include?

Willy
10-15-2007, 09:54 PM
anyone happen to know what the avg cost of the timing belt and water pump job done at a mechanics would cost?

i guess at a shop like bimmersport or rmp motors.

thanks, and sorry for jumping this thread.

W.

Ej_Red
10-15-2007, 11:12 PM
When i did my tbelt i never took the hood nor rad off. It would have been a little easier yes, would take you a bit longer though. I preferred not to. You will be just fine.
Replace your water pump, tbelt tensioner as well. You can replace the cam shaft seal while you there. Make sure you have a female torx socket set to take the cam gear out. I didn't know about it and didn't have that socket, so i left the old seal in there. I did mine on sunday night so CT was closed and i wasn't able to get the socket anywhere.

dgmorr
10-16-2007, 09:45 AM
http://parts.autopartsonlinecanada.com/parts/apocanada/wizard.jsp?year=1989&make=BM&model=325-IS-001&category=A&part=Cylinder+Head+Gasket+Set
http://image.autopartsonlinecanada.com/live/A801025566GOE.JPG

T.Dot_E30
10-16-2007, 11:07 AM
http://parts.autopartsonlinecanada.com/parts/apocanada/wizard.jsp?year=1989&make=BM&model=325-IS-001&category=A&part=Cylinder+Head+Gasket+Set

Why are you recommending a headgasket set for a timingbelt change? I doubt he is going to have the head off to change a timing belt, unless there is something wrong with the engine.

Water Pumps should be replaced new, they are inexpensive ($60-80) and should be changed while your in there, instead of taking the front part of the motor apart again when it goes 10-20k after you did the timing belt.

T.Dot_E30
10-16-2007, 11:09 AM
When i did my tbelt i never took the hood nor rad off. It would have been a little easier yes, would take you a bit longer though. The hood and rad can be out with 5mins. All you need is someone to help you lift it down.

That 5mins will save you 30mins trying to fiddle with things from the side.

dgmorr
10-16-2007, 11:15 AM
^
He asked what else could be done. I said if he wanted to take it a step further this could be done, doesn't hurt to offer more...

It's cheaper to buy the entire kit than all random parts separately (cam seal, rocker shaft plugs etc). It's not like one day they won't be needed.

And besides...I read something wrong somewhere...*drink*

supernaught
10-16-2007, 12:40 PM
I got a kit off of ebay a year ago:
Water Pump,Water Pump Gasket,Timing Belt,Timing Belt Tensioner, Thermostat, Camshaft Seal, Crank Shaft Seal, Intermediate Shaft Seal, Valve Cover Gasket, PS belt, Alternator belt
FCP Groton sells a kit but does not have all belts

Striker
10-16-2007, 12:49 PM
hadesm5, it's great seeing people try to do things on their own. Do pay close attention to the timing marks, do a search for e30 timing and will see a few posts of what I did to avoid timing issues. You set the timing wrong and it could destroy your valves and possibly head.

If you need info or idea on OEM parts send me an email *wave*

hadesm5
10-16-2007, 11:01 PM
yeah i've bookmarked enough diy's.
i dont plan on doing the gaskets though (but thanks for the link dgmorrr)
did the distributor cap and rotor already...
was planning on removing the rad, but not too sure if removing the hood would make much of a difference.

supernaught
10-17-2007, 09:27 AM
i have done 2 without removing the hood, and its not so bad, I can see that it would make things a bit easier to get at but its a pain removing the washer lines on mine. Good luck, and definitely make sure you do a good job on the waterpump gasket.

oldskool3
10-17-2007, 10:27 AM
yeah i've bookmarked enough diy's.
i dont plan on doing the gaskets though (but thanks for the link dgmorrr)
did the distributor cap and rotor already...
was planning on removing the rad, but not too sure if removing the hood would make much of a difference.

Removing the hood just means you are able to access everything easier as you are standing right over the front of the engine. It just makes it less frustrating IMO